Piggyback a GBox or VBox to a DSR922???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
I am considering a GBox or a VBox soon for my current FTA setup which I now use my 922 for the positioner along with a Openbox receiver. I do not know how hard it is to program either the V or G boxes but would this idea work??? Is it possible to hook the sensor wires to the both the 922 and a V or G box while programming the V or G box??? The motor wires would be hooked to and controlled by the 922. This way (if possible) I could set the 922 to say G1 and it would go there and then set the V or G box memory to G1. Repeat for each satellite and presto??? Like I said I am not familiar with the V or G boxes and was wondering if this would make programming them any easier. The 922 does such a great job finding the birds so quickly and plus I have the birds already programmed in! ;)

Are you referring to transferring existing settings of a 922 (satellite positions) simultaneously to an FTA that will eventually use the V/G box eliminating moving the dish with the 922? Interesting question! I would think some limits would have to be in first in the new box before doing that, but my G-box said setting limits was optional.

I'm waiting on V-box, (G-box and my system didn't play nice, so I'm back to the 922 running my FTA positioning.) My issue I believe with any positioner except the 922 is RF from being under a 5kw AM/250 Watt FM radio stations. The 922 has HUGE amounts of shielding with its metal case, then another RF "donut" on the motor/sensor wires.

Clever idea. ;)
But I see some problems:
- the sensor inputs on both the 4D and the Gbox are powered and polarity sensitive. That should kill the idea right there.
- the Gbox would likely ignore pulses unless it was commanded to move
- if you started a move on the 4D and immediately pushed the move button on the Gbox remote, AND took your finger off the Gbox remote when you got there... you might have a chance.
- however, if the Gbox is commanded to move and doesn't get reed-switch signals, it will halt with an error code.
So, all things considered, I'm not seeing any actual way to get the job done as easily as we'd like.

Are you referring to transferring existing settings of a 922 (satellite positions) simultaneously to an FTA that will eventually use the V/G box eliminating moving the dish with the 922?

Yes! I was hoping to make the process of setting up a "family friendly" FTA system with the V/G box faster and easier and then move the 922 to another BUD. I did crawl and look at the back of the 922. I was originally thinking that there were more wires going to the sensor for power and sensor pickup. :eek:

I either had a brain fart or am just an old fart! ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)