Pipe for Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Go to a commercial fence company. They have pipe that will hold a three hundred pound sliding gate.

I have a commercial fence company near me and they always have scrap pipe for a little bit of nothing.

Don't try this with Home Depot or Lowes fence pipe.

I recently installed my 10' BUD on a 3" ID pipe (which is the conventional way to measure pipe). The OD was ~3 1/2" and would be what you-all are talking about. Tubing and Conduit are measured a little differently and I won't go into that here. If it fits your mount, then you only have to worry about the wall thickness to resist twisting in strong winds.

When I tried to puirchase a 10-12 ft length, I was told it would be about $8/ft and for my purpose I should look for some used. I eventually found a 9'6" length in a scrap yard for $20 and welded a couple feet of rebar on the bottom to get my dish a couple more feet off the ground. Once it is in the cured concrete, the dish and wind don't need to know that the pipe doesn't actually reach the bottom of the hole.

If Ihad used conduit of a lesser wall thickness, I was considering filling it with conrete also.

Just my thoughts and ideas FWIW!!

Steve

Look at my avatar.

My 10' Cm, and both 1.2m DTN's are all mounted on rigid electrical conduit. I have a couple of friends who are retired electricians and bigger packrats than I.

Last week we had a bit of a blizzard in ND/MN with 50mph straight line winds and none of my dishes budged.

Drill a couple of holes near the bottom of the pipe for putting some "anti-twist" lag bolts in before you pour the cement.
That satellite setup is great. ;) I would do that but the neighbors might think I watch tv too much. :D I have 2 gonna add another FTA to my Dish Network pole soon be back to 3. :)

For my 6 foot I used a support post from Lowes $50. My dish will fall over in the wind before the post moves. ;)

What size is recommended for a 6ft dish

It depends on the dish. If you have it on hand, measure the mount for proper diameter. If you are acquiring it, either get the specs from the vendor or wait until you get it and measure it.

Six foot dishes, depending on manufacturer, may need 2, 2 1/2, or 3 inch pipe. Normally pipe that size is measured by ID. So, if your mount measures 3 1/2 inches, you'll want 3 inch Schedule 40 pipe, which will have an OD of 3 1/2 inches.

That's the exact reason the current pipe is staying in it's old yard. That thing will not move one tiny bit and I'm afraid of how much concrete is lurking below the ground. I told the people they should put a bird feeder on top.

So far, I've been lucky. I've been able to back the truck right up to the dish. After I get the dish down, I take a short chain, throw two or three turns around the base of the pipe and hook it to the truck. Drop into 4-LO and ease on the gas. Comes right out. Haven't found one yet I could not remove.

If I can't get right up to the post, I have a 35 foot chain also.

Piece of cake.

I need to source a pole for my new 10ft CM BUD.
I am in need of a 5" OD pole.
... (I'm planning on filling the thing up after it's in, as well?)
How tall were you going to mount the dish?
The Birdview is on 6" tubing (thinner wall than pipe) and it doesn't need cement!
It's way too stiff to bother!
I might be accused of overkill... but even I would not put cement into a 5" pipe.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts