Plasma/LCD TV...how long do they last?

sbsi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
How long does the plasma/LCD TV usually last before breaking down or something is not working and needs to be fix????

I am hearing most of the TVs break down within 2-5 years and cost hundredsss to fix.

Interesting question? I can understand that with Plasma, but what about LCD?
I have a JVC HD Projection TV, I have to replace the bulb anywhere between 9 months to a year and a half. Depending on where I buy the bulb from.

I think the numbers you are seeing refer to the older DLP projection sets. They have a bulb life of a few thousand hours, and the bulbs generally cost around $200,

Modern plasma and LCD sets have projected life of a decade or more given normal use. Of course, a failure can happen with anything and the newer sets don't have a lot of repairable components inside. Often, if it breaks, its toast, especially for the bargain brands.

This technology is still young. Hard to give an average of life expectancy. Half life for most before dimming (no issues) is rated at 50k to 60k for most of the new hdtv's. Some even more.

Alot of people buying hdtv's will sell their tv before it breaks down. Opting for the next best thing.

True - most modern HT electronics become long of tooth technology-wise long before they actually break down. It's even worse with computers and cell phones. I've had my current (home) laptop in service since '00, and my current cellphone since '05. Both work fine in terms of doing what they were designed to do, and for the most part that's all I need or want. I've even brought my phone "back from dead"...twice!...after accidental dunks in my pool. For the most part the reliability is there, but there are always "early mortals".

I was going to make that point about functional obsolescence, but I'm not so sure about HDTV. I think we have reached a stable point unless 3D takes off in a big way. Stuff tends to go through a rapid growth phase, followed by a long stable period.

Look at receivers as an example. Dolby surround came out in the late '80s and nothing much happened until Dolby Digital came out with DVDs in the late '90s. It stayed stable until the new advanced CODECs hit last year. I expect it to remain stable for some time to come. (I also expect more receivers churned due to HDMI switching than the advanced codecs)

TVs went through a projector revolution in the mid-90s, and now a flat panel/HDTV churn. Again, I expect about a 10 year cycle before the next big churn moment. Not that manufacturers won't try to get us to move on, but I don't think there will be anything compelling for the average viewer.

I've had my Sammy 58" plasma HDTV for 18 months and (as expected) zero problems. Keeping the firmware current is important, but a very simple process to perform. I too expect it to last solidly through the point at which I sell it for whatever I upgrade to in another 8-9 years or so. It's certainly possible that something could go wrong with it before 2018-2019 and that I may have to replace it, but I sure hope not.

I am planning on replacing the preamp I've had for 9-10 years with one that can handle the new audio codecs of Blu-ray discs, in about 2-3 months, but aside from that, am not planning any major electronics purchases in the near future...

I just purchased a Vizio 55" LCD set on January 3rd. The 42" plasma I had up until then lost it's picture. It was an Audiovox and did not last even 3 years. I don't think they even make flat screens anymore. I would never buy another plasma set. Mine put out alot of heat and used 400w of power. The LCD I have uses 200w and operates much cooler. It is the model with 120hz refresh rate. Could not ask for a better picture. The sound is somewhat poor but I have a surround sound outfit that takes care of that. The HD picture is great on my LCD. I would highly recommend it.

Maybe this is one reason why plasma is so much cheaper than LCD for those in the same size of screen. Plasma has better picture quality than LCD though don't they? I heard that plasma's break easily.

Maybe this is one reason why plasma is so much cheaper than LCD for those in the same size of screen. Plasma has better picture quality than LCD though don't they? I heard that plasma's break easily.

Break's as in glass breaking probably true. Plasma needs to be shipped upright due to the heavy glass.

If shipped correctly should not break at all.

My oldest plasma is from 2004, still going strong. It is a panasonic. My parents on the other hand went through a couple no name sets (akia and visio both failed just out of warranty) before I convinced them to buy a name brand.

LCDs should be shipped upright, too. Marked so in big letters on the box. On the stack of boxes I saw at Costco. That were all laid flat stacked several high. :rolleyes:

The cheaper priced ones like Vizio are also cheaper in the sense of quality and go out sooner.

Someone buys a Vizio, it dies with 5 years and they tell all their friends - ALL these gosh darn new TVs die within 5 years !

I must say Vizio has really come up in the world. Their sets today are much better than they have been in the past- they've narrowed the quality gap.

Any ?? Of course! NO brand is 100% defect free. If they were then warranties would be completely unnecessary. You're trying to ask which brands are most reliable. Many opinions on that so why not check with the experts? Here are some links to get you started...

AV Enthusiast*-*Consumer Reports Rates TV Brand Reliability
LCD TV Ratings & Reliability
Consumer Reports Electronics Blog: LCD TV reliability?Why Vizio isn't in our repair history

The first link is an article from 2007.
The second link says - Join Consumer reports to read article.
The third link is an article from 2008.

Most people say don't get a Vizio unless that's all you can afford at the time.

Last edited:
Consumer Reports Electronics Blog: Vizio: The new top-selling LCD TV brand?and a fairly reliable one, too
Nothing wrong with Vizio. Repair rate is no different than most other brands

I
n fact, our most recent reliability survey data (available to subscribers) shows that the rate of repairs for Vizio TVs has beens quite low, and comparable to its competition. The survey, which covered more than 168,000 LCD and plasma TVs bought between 2005 and 2008, showed that the repair rate for Vizio LCD TVs was 3 percent, the average for all 16 LCD brands covered in the survey. Perhaps just as important, Vizio was one of a small number of companies that stood out for ease of repair, meaning there were few, if any, issues getting the set repaired in a timely fashion.

The bottom line? We see no evidence of a reliability problem for Vizio, nor that the brand’s customer service is lacking when sets do break. Rather, even reliable TV brands have some sets that fail, and their owners are understandably disappointed, especially if they fail after the warranty has expired.

The cheaper priced ones like Vizio are also cheaper in the sense of quality and go out sooner.

Someone buys a Vizio, it dies with 5 years and they tell all their friends -

ALL these gosh darn new TVs die within 5 years !

Funny My Toshiba needed repair with in 3 years, my Samsung needed repair with in a year but my two cheap TVs are still going strong after 4 years:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts