Play Station 4 and the Virtual Joey

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
My son recently got the Play station 4 and I had read that both Play station 3 and 4 were going to do this virtual joey app. I saw the initial press release DISH put out and they said by the summer of 2014 the joey would be released. Still no Joey app . What gives? Will they ever do this on the PS 4 or not?

My son recently got the Play station 4 and I had read that both Play station 3 and 4 were going to do this virtual joey app. I saw the initial press release DISH put out and they said by the summer of 2014 the joey would be released. Still no Joey app . What gives? Will they ever do this on the PS 4 or not?

MikeD-C05,

The virtual Joey is compatible with only the PS3, I will provide you our link explaining in more detail; http://www.dish.com/technology/virt...results&_ga=1.119202761.1541104735.1412169827.

Thanks

My understanding (and I could be wrong) the hold up was / is on Sony's side. I have played with it a lot and it was very solid on the PS4.

Could it be because Sony is rumored to launch their own IPTV service? That I don't know.

Well maybe so. Something changed between their announcement and now to stop it. A shame ,because I saw it work on the PS3 and it worked well. IF DISH would just do their app on Roku players, then you could easily put a joey in any room with ethernet and wireless internet.

Any updates on the PS4 Virtual Joey? I really want to sell my PS3 but currently use it as a virtual joey. Want the PS4 option because I can then use my wireless headphones when necessary.

So far still no virtual joey on the PS4. I Don't really know why there isn't. IF PS3 had it then the PS4 should have it , in my opinion.

So far still no virtual joey on the PS4. I Don't really know why there isn't. IF PS3 had it then the PS4 should have it , in my opinion.

This is probably why the virtual joey app isnt on the PS4 and more and likely it will never be, unless Dish wants to pony up some up front money and a percentage of the money from customers using the virtual joey app.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/playstation-vue-son-cloud-based-tv-service-1201283206/
Back at the International CES confab in January, Sony Computer Entertainment Group CEO Andrew House touted the upcoming arrival of a new cloud-based service in the U.S. that would include the “most popular live TV programs combined with a large library of VOD content,” although he offered no specifics. Now, 10 months later, the mystery has been solved. Sony Network Entertainment International and Sony Computer Entertainment today unveiled subscription service PlayStation Vue with the promise that it “reinvents the television experience.” Bypassing cable and satellite, customers will have access to live, on-demand and catch-up television content from such partners as CBS, Discovery Communications, Fox, NBCUniversal, Scripps Networks Interactive and Viacom. Speaking earlier this week, CBS’ Les Moonves teased details of the partnership saying, “Sony is going to do an offering that’s very interesting” with “more bells and whistles” and “more VOD content.” The public at large will see for itself when PlayStation Vue is launched commercially in early 2015.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
So I'm clueless as to how Sony's playstation market place works however I do know how Apple's works and at least under Apple's system Dish doesn't have to pay Apple anything (apple only takes 30% from app sales and or in app purchases in Dish's case there is neither). So maybe Sony does things differently? I've called and spoke to a rep two weeks ago who said he could add it to my ps4 but I declined because I needed to move some things around prior to switching from PS3 to PS4 and now every time I've called everyone seems to know about it except for one rep and the rest all say it's being developed.

I'll also go so far as to mention that around September via some googling I seen that Dish in Colorado had a job posting for someone with DVR and PS4 (maybe some java/javascript) coding experience. Apologies in that I didn't write down all the specified languages the job posting required however what I said was a summary for the position (I was looking at programming jobs at the time but not the languages they wanted). So to me they've been actively developing the system at least.

I guess in my mind they've possibly ran into a few hurdles regarding getting a remote to work with the PS4. As anyone who Owned a PS3 and moved over to a PS4 and had a headset has learned the way the bluetooth is set up in the PS4 has been counterintuitive at least to me however with their bluetooth audio situation which may not affect a bluetooth remote, again outside of my knowledge base.

That job posting had me excited but now I really wanna sell that PS3 and can't until I can use my PS4 as a virtual Joey as I have my house wired for my dish receiver (hopper at this point) which is in the basement and have had no issues for 12 years until this year and now I have a little one and we are upstairs 90% of the time and I got laid off from a 12 year position this year so can't really afford to do much when I'm living off a severance check that is minus hundreds of hours of overtime I typically pulled a year.

So I'm clueless as to how Sony's playstation market place works however I do know how Apple's works and at least under Apple's system Dish doesn't have to pay Apple anything (apple only takes 30% from app sales and or in app purchases in Dish's case there is neither). So maybe Sony does things differently? I've called and spoke to a rep two weeks ago who said he could add it to my ps4 but I declined because I needed to move some things around prior to switching from PS3 to PS4 and now every time I've called everyone seems to know about it except for one rep and the rest all say it's being developed.

I'll also go so far as to mention that around September via some googling I seen that Dish in Colorado had a job posting for someone with DVR and PS4 (maybe some java/javascript) coding experience. Apologies in that I didn't write down all the specified languages the job posting required however what I said was a summary for the position (I was looking at programming jobs at the time but not the languages they wanted). So to me they've been actively developing the system at least.

I guess in my mind they've possibly ran into a few hurdles regarding getting a remote to work with the PS4. As anyone who Owned a PS3 and moved over to a PS4 and had a headset has learned the way the bluetooth is set up in the PS4 has been counterintuitive at least to me however with their bluetooth audio situation which may not affect a bluetooth remote, again outside of my knowledge base.

That job posting had me excited but now I really wanna sell that PS3 and can't until I can use my PS4 as a virtual Joey as I have my house wired for my dish receiver (hopper at this point) which is in the basement and have had no issues for 12 years until this year and now I have a little one and we are upstairs 90% of the time and I got laid off from a 12 year position this year so can't really afford to do much when I'm living off a severance check that is minus hundreds of hours of overtime I typically pulled a year.

Common sense, its all about money.
For example if you are I owned a outfit that we just invested millions into getting broadcast/streaming rights for the content, plus developmental costs, to get a service or product to market now why in the world would I allow a competing service on my platform or equipment, with out some kind of compensation?

Plus Dish has history of not playing well with companies that it partners up with.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)