Player fined for dropping popup.

Davedirectv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 24, 2009
In the Van.
Yuniesky Betancourt - Kansas City Royals - News - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

May 9 SS Yuniesky Betancourt was fined by the club for dropping a routine fly ball that led to an unearned run Friday in the 4-1 loss to the Rangers. The amount of the fine was not made known. Betancourt catches fly balls with one hand below his head, while manager Trey Hillman wants players to catch them with two hands above their head. "The bottom line is you have to catch it," Hillman said.

I've never heard anything like this before, fining a player for a bad play? I'm sure it's happened before, just seems a bit shocking to me.

Committing errors because you don't catch a certain way, gets you a fine?

I can't help but think the union will get involved in this one.

Kind of reminds me of that guy who got fined a grand for taking a bottle of water out of a hotel room.

I don't think this had anything to do with getting fired. The Royals stunk so far this season.

I don't think this had anything to do with getting fired. The Royals stunk so far this season.
And, it's not a real big surprise that they have stunk. I'm not saying it was the sole reason, but it's a little strange that the GM gave Hillman some strong support just 2 days before:

“Trey is a tremendous leader,” general manager Dayton Moore said, “somebody who is very consistent with who is he is day in and day out. He’s exactly what our organization needs at this point in time.”
Royals' Hillman gets support from Moore - KansasCity.com

I guess 2 days later could be considered a different 'point in time'... ;)

I'm guessing it happens all the time, but doesn't get press. It's kept inside the clubhouse where it belongs.

Yep. good ole kangaroo court. NORMALLY, as Yaz stated...this is kept in house. Miss a sign from a coach, that can EASILY cost ya $500. Miss your responsibilities on a defense play, like a SS not covering their bag on a bunt play....$1000.

The difference here though is that the fine was levied by Hillman, not by the traditional player's 'kangaroo court'. That's why it became public knowledge....

Yep. good ole kangaroo court. NORMALLY, as Yaz stated...this is kept in house. Miss a sign from a coach, that can EASILY cost ya $500. Miss your responsibilities on a defense play, like a SS not covering their bag on a bunt play....$1000.

Baseball teams, the players fine each other for bad plays? Ok, so where does that cash go, for the pizza/pool party at the end of the year? :rolleyes:

Or, the club does the fines? I guess if you had some sort of report of this or issued statements. Does this fall under the guise "conduct detrimental to the team"?

Baseball teams, the players fine each other for bad plays? Ok, so where does that cash go, for the pizza/pool party at the end of the year? :rolleyes:

Or, the club does the fines? I guess if you had some sort of report of this or issued statements. Does this fall under the guise "conduct detrimental to the team"?

You seriously never heard of this?

Money probably goes to steak dinners and beer or charity.

For the kind of money some of these guys get if they decide to be lazy and make careless catches and end up dropping one I'd say that warranted a fine. Hey I get docked in pay if I make a stupid careless mistake. If I'm paying big money to see my team live (tickets, drinks, food, parking etc) and my team lost because a player who gets paid millions of dollars decides to not even try and prevent a drop I'd want my fricking money back.

That is just my own humble viewpoint though.

For the kind of money some of these guys get if they decide to be lazy and make careless catches and end up dropping one I'd say that warranted a fine. Hey I get docked in pay if I make a stupid careless mistake. If I'm paying big money to see my team live (tickets, drinks, food, parking etc) and my team lost because a player who gets paid millions of dollars decides to not even try and prevent a drop I'd want my fricking money back.

That is just my own humble viewpoint though.

Welcome back LonghornXP, where ya been hiding ?

I've been very busy with school and bowling. Between those two things I have no time left for myself anymore. I've even started getting involved in disc golfing but I realized I need LOTS more practice lol.

I'll be around here off and on for the most part.

Welcome back. Good to see you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)