Playstation '4'

I'm obviously more excited about this than everyone else here but I'm sold. I will be pre-ordering as soon as GameStop allows it.

Another Live Demo. This one is for Watch Dogs.

It has a GTA vibe to it but it looks like you are the good guy this time. The open world city looks great. Hopefully it is a great game not just a pretty game.

No release date or pricing announced. The end said PS4 coming Holiday 2013. Expect it in November.

Somewhat impressed but not satisfied completely. Lack of optical drive information does not bode well for me. I appreciate the push towards digital content but Sony needs to realize that not EVERYONE hooks their consoles up online. Hell my friend has a 360 and he is still using the blade interface. Also a lack of price as well as photos of the machine is rather suspicious. Finally, why are they using x86 architecture? Call me dumb but wouldn't x64 make more sense?

Still, by using an accepted architecture Sony definitely learned from the ps3 downfalls of programming difficulty and lack of memory, so lets all hope for the best, and also hope that at E3 we have something other than rendered video to look at. Yes it's nice that its running off the engines but it would be nice to see something that isn't representative of true gameplay. As the world learned recently with the new Aliens game, previews and final products can differ DRASTICALLY.

Somewhat impressed but not satisfied completely. Lack of optical drive information does not bode well for me. I appreciate the push towards digital content but Sony needs to realize that not EVERYONE hooks their consoles up online. Hell my friend has a 360 and he is still using the blade interface. Also a lack of price as well as photos of the machine is rather suspicious. Finally, why are they using x86 architecture? Call me dumb but wouldn't x64 make more sense?

Still, by using an accepted architecture Sony definitely learned from the ps3 downfalls of programming difficulty and lack of memory, so lets all hope for the best, and also hope that at E3 we have something other than rendered video to look at. Yes it's nice that its running off the engines but it would be nice to see something that isn't representative of true gameplay. As the world learned recently with the new Aliens game, previews and final products can differ DRASTICALLY.

Supposedly Killzone and Watch Dogs were live game play not demos. The UbiSoft guy even confirmed watch dogs was before they played it.

As for the optical drive. I don't think you guys have to worry. They won't abandon physical disk sales when so many people still don't have reliable broadband. Also, I believe Sony was the headliner for Blu-ray and I thought they even got a small royalty for each Blu-ray disk sold. They won't abandon their baby.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If it can play 4k that will be good but I doubt I buy it. With the ps3, I was still playing some PS exclusive (at the time) games, and it was as good of a blu ray player as was available. Coupled with the extras it made the price a no brainer for me.

For now, I never play games on the playstation, the only spec I see so far that I am interested in, and can't do currently with my hardware is 4k.

I am sure I can get a player for cheaper when I decide to.

Harder sell for next Gen consoles imo. The last added so much, until support totally stops, I have little reason to buy the next.
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

Personally I am glad they kept the focus on games. All the focus moving away from real games to casual games and multimedia makes me nervous as a gamer. A presentation like tonight shows me that they are keeping the gamer first with the PS4.

Blu-ray on PS3 was both a curse and a blessing. This put the system in a lot of non-gamers homes. It kind of confused the messaging from Sony because they were suddenly trying to cater to people who weren't interested in core games.

There is a reason PS3 is the most used Netflix streaming device but huge exclusives like Uncharted 3 sell so terribly compared to 360 exclusives.

I don't know if PS4 will support 4K or not. Even though they didn't focus on it I know it will be a great Blu-ray player and streaming device just like the PS3. At this point I think they did the right thing by focusing on gamers and just kind of leaving that as a given.

Then they should have not announced it today.

With no specs its all smoke and mirrors up until this point.

They havent told me why I want one of these in my entertainment center.

Here is your meat and potatoes.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02...tation-4-processing-specs-dualshock-4-and-eye

At tonight's event we were offered a brief overview of the PlayStation 4's powerful new hardware and a few quick glimpses at its new peripherals, the DualShock 4 and Eye. Now, the company has released additional information about the console's internals and more detail about the controller and new camera.

Sony has confirmed that the PlayStation 4 will be powered by a custom 8-core AMD "Jaguar" x86-64 with integrated graphics APU and "next-generation" AMD Radeon graphics processor capable of driving 1.84 teraflops. As detailed at the event, it will come paired with 8GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory, making it competitive with most gaming-focused PCs on the market. As expected, the system will ship with a Blu-ray drive, built-in 80.211 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1, as well as HDMI, Analog-AV, and optical digital output. Sony is giving I/O options a boost with the inclusion of USB 3.0 ports and a mysteriously vague "AUX" port. Each system will ship a "Mono Headset" for cross-game chat and other social features.

Kind of scary for Sony IMO running with an AMD processor that is not even out into production yet. AMD has been very bad keeping up with the release of the processors in the past few years.

I'm getting the opposite impression. I have been very impressed with some of this stuff. I will get into it more when the presentation is over.

I Agree I think the hardware looks solid....and I have to admit I am loving how that killzone looked (only game I have watched a video of so far!!)

Kind of scary for Sony IMO running with an AMD processor that is not even out into production yet. AMD has been very bad keeping up with the release of the processors in the past few years.

According to some supposed leaked specs the next Xbox is also going to be running on an AMD 8 Core Jaguar processor. They are saying the GPU will be 1.2 Teraflops compared to PS4's 1.84. They claimed it was roughly equivalent to the Radeon 7850. Of course, just like the used games, this is all rumor until Microsoft makes their announcement

It is an x86-64 processor. It would have to be in order to access all of its 8GB of RAM.

This is all due to the fact that Sony switched to a more PC standard AMD processor for the PS4. The PS3 used a proprietary Cell processor that was much harder to develop for than PC or Xbox 360. It also meant that 360 often had better versions of multiplatform games because it was easier to port from PC to 360 than it was to PS3.

Sony exclusive games that were developed specifically for the PS3 were some of the best looking games of this generation. However, multiplatform games that had to be ported over to PS3 didn't always take full advantage of the hardware and some, like Skyrim had performance problems.

PSN games are still PS3 games. Meaning just like retail PS3 games they were designed to run on the Cell processor. Sony couldn't do full backwards compatibility without including both processor types in the PS4. If that means increased cost to go back and play games I've already played and can still play on an old system I'm fine with them leaving it out.

I likely won't be spending much time playing old outdated games when there are new ones coming out all the time anyways. Depending on how Gaikai streaming of PS3 games works on PS4 I will probably just keep my PS3 around if I want to go through the Mass Effect trilogy again.

Interoperability with the Vita gives them the whole "Wii U" experience & functionality (especially since the move controllers will work on the PS4).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)