Playstation '4'

This reeks of the original Xbox in that it's going to have PC parts instead of custom designed and manufactured hardware.

This reeks of the original Xbox in that it's going to have PC parts instead of custom designed and manufactured hardware.

Sony has confirmed that the PlayStation 4 will be powered by a custom 8-core AMD "Jaguar" x86-64 with integrated graphics APU and "next-generation" AMD Radeon graphics processor capable of driving 1.84 teraflops.

It is still custom. It is just based on PC architecture. Besides, why is that a bad thing? If they are using PC gaming equipment it means that games can be developed and optimized easier than some crazy unique hardware made by Sony. From reading lots of articles it sounded like developers preferred working on the 360 over the PS3 because it was closer to PC architecture.

Is that a bad thing? Part of what made the Xbox so appealing was that it was so easy to develop for since it was like designing for a PC. Sony royally screwed themselves with the PS3 by making a device that, while very powerful, was next to impossible to develop for (and giving it pittance for RAM didn't help either.) Clearly here they're doing a complete 180 and are pushing more for powerful and accessible, as opposed to just something that's powerful.

They even said as much during the presser that they pretty much screwed the pooch when it came to their decision to go with the cell in the PS3 and that they weren't going to make the same mistake with the PS4.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It would be awsome if Gaikai streaming would let us put in our PS3 (or PS1/2) disc into the PS4 (to authenticate that we own it), and allow us to play the game without paying again for it.

As it is, lack of backward compatibility means I'll keep my 60GB PS3 (since upgraded to 500GB) in order to play my old PS1/2/3 games, and might lead me to not get a PS4 and instead go with the XBOX 720 (especially if it can play 360 games).

Exclusives never made me go with one system over another (other than those, I've never seen a real difference). I went with PS3 over Xbox 360 because I already had a large PS1/2 library, and I really don't want umpteen game units to support.

It would be awsome if Gaikai streaming would let us put in our PS3 (or PS1/2) disc into the PS4 (to authenticate that we own it), and allow us to play the game without paying again for it.
Fat chance, as just because you have a disc doesn't mean you own the actual game.

Yup, that will be a paid service, only question is if it will be by title or packages or what. No way they'll achieve their dream of streaming 'all' PS1/2/3 games either since it means royalties and rights to all of those companies have to be negotiated and secured. Some of them don't even exist anymore.

Related, Destructoid said today all previous PSN purchases wont carry over, and neither will saved games.

I'm an older gamer. I didn't see anything interesting with last night's show. Granted, I use the 360 for all my gaming. PS3 is mainly for Bluray movies and an occasional movie using Vudu. Sharing to social media or continuing gameplay on a mobile device doesn't interest me on either console. I do see how these features will appeal to the younger generation. For me, I want next gen gaming. Period. Just give me a great game, graphics, party chat and I'm good.

Yup, that will be a paid service, only question is if it will be by title or packages or what. No way they'll achieve their dream of streaming 'all' PS1/2/3 games either since it means royalties and rights to all of those companies have to be negotiated and secured. Some of them don't even exist anymore.

Related, Destructoid said today all previous PSN purchases wont carry over, and neither will saved games.
They'll never achieve that. They'll probably end up just getting the most popular older games first and then trickle in a few here and there. There's also the question of how much they'll cost. I don't think we'll see the same structure as the Virtual Console. Still I don't see a lot of people paying $30-$40 for the privilege of streaming PS3 games on their new PS4. Personally I think that PS1 BC should be built in, because I honestly can't imagine that it's hard to implement at all. Hell, basement programmers can do it on regular modern PCs, so I don't see Sony having issues doing it on their new super console. Anyways we'll see how this all unfolds.

Fat chance, as just because you have a disc doesn't mean you own the actual game.
If you're required to have the disc inserted everytime you start the game, it's pretty much proof that you own it (or at least have the fair rights to use it).

I'm not talking about inserting the disc once during the first time you play the game, I'm talking about everytime you want to play the game (this is for people who don't have the digital rights via PSN).

If you're required to have the disc inserted everytime you start the game, it's pretty much proof that you own it (or at least have the fair rights to use it).

I'm not talking about inserting the disc once during the first time you play the game, I'm talking about everytime you want to play the game (this is for people who don't have the digital rights via PSN).

You may have the rights to play it on PS3, I suspect they'll use the costs involved in letting you stream it over Gaikai to pay for all of the bandwidth and development involved in the service.

Since PSN purchases aren't going to carry over, I don't think your (reasonable) proposed solution would either.

Edit: Sony has clarified this and said they have the ability to honor PSN purchases, but wouldn't go as far as to say they would.

http://www.destructoid.com/psn-purchases-will-not-carry-over-to-ps4-update--246229.phtml

No, because all that means is that I have the disc at those times. For example, my friend can loan me his copy of Infamous 2. I put it in my PS4 and it reads it everytime and I keep playing it. Then I'm done and give it back to my friend, and then my friend then loans that same game out to ANOTHER friend, who does the same thing, then gives it back, etc etc. I'm not saying that from a practical standpoint that your idea is bad, but from a money hungry (and at this point almost desperate) Sony perspective that's simply not going to fly. Trust me I wish it did, as I don't like having to keep multiple generations of consoles around, but these are the cards we will likely be dealt.

No, because all that means is that I have the disc at those times. For example, my friend can loan me his copy of Infamous 2. I put it in my PS4 and it reads it everytime and I keep playing it. Then I'm done and give it back to my friend, and then my friend then loans that same game out to ANOTHER friend, who does the same thing, then gives it back, etc etc. I'm not saying that from a practical standpoint that your idea is bad, but from a money hungry (and at this point almost desperate) Sony perspective that's simply not going to fly. Trust me I wish it did, as I don't like having to keep multiple generations of consoles around, but these are the cards we will likely be dealt.

I can do that now. Therefore I don't see the problem.

As for sony wanting to do that, probably not as it hampers a revenue stream. But it's a very workable idea to ensure people have the rights to play the game.

Edit: Sony has clarified this and said they have the ability to honor PSN purchases, but wouldn't go as far as to say they would.
If they have the ability, I think they will. If anything, complaints alone will make them do it, especially since Nintendo is already letting people transfer purchases from their Wii's to Wii U's.

Especially since there's the ability to remove rights of a console and move to another (I had to do this when my original 60GB died and Sony replaced it).

If they have the ability, I think they will. If anything, complaints alone will make them do it, especially since Nintendo is already letting people transfer purchases from their Wii's to Wii U's.

Especially since there's the ability to remove rights of a console and move to another (I had to do this when my original 60GB died and Sony replaced it).

I expect they will find a way to monetize it anyways. BC could require a PlayStation World account out something to access any streaming content.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'd be fine with that type of system.

How would that be any different than now? Only one person can play it at a time.

I had a PS3 and never played it. I just used it as a blu-ray player so I will pass on the PS4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts