Playstation '4'

Another thing about used games... I really feel that they could make them almost nonexistent without actually blocking used game and rental use. If they make a 500GB or larger hard drive standard on all consoles and do the occasional steam style download sale I think the market would take care of it for them.

PC gamers have been getting their games in downloadable form almost exclusively for years now and used games are basically nonexistent on that platform. I'm not saying to do away with physical copies for those who want them but every retail game should be available on day one at competitive costs. One of the problems with downloadable retail games on the current consoles is that PSN and Xbox Live are too slow to drop prices. A game should never cost more in downloadable form than on a disk when they don't have production costs or split revenues with brick and mortar stores. That often isn't the case on current consoles. Another problem is that not every retail game is available in downloadable form on the current systems. Often the ones that are aren't available on day one.

If they made their online marketplaces competitive like steam does I would be happy to go 100% downloads on the next gen consoles. Bye bye used games market. Think about it. They could make your pre-orders download and install in the background or when your system is in sleep mode days before release date and set them to activate at midnight on release. They could be seamlessly available and waiting for you the second they release without a midnight trip and lines at a store.

They could sell them at a lower price and still make more money for themselves and the developers by cutting out the retail middle man. I know, I know... I'm dreaming right?

Last edited:
I'm concerned, since I have 3 consoles in my house. What does this mean, if they go this route? I buy an Xbox game and it'll only be able to be played on one console? This is going to piss off many. No way I'm buy 3 copies of a single game, if both my kids want to play on their consoles as well. Since I have a Live family account, I'm assuming that game would be accessible to all family IDs.

I'm concerned, since I have 3 consoles in my house. What does this mean, if they go this route? I buy an Xbox game and it'll only be able to be played on one console? This is going to piss off many. No way I'm buy 3 copies of a single game, if both my kids want to play on their consoles as well. Since I have a Live family account, I'm assuming that game would be accessible to all family IDs.

I really wouldn't worry about this until you hear official word from Sony and Microsoft. Just remember that many of these rumors turn out to be false.

I don't know how family Live accounts work. Are they actually connected in any way or is it just bundle pricing for multiple accounts? If you are currently able to share downloaded games on family accounts I don't think you will have any problems with the next gen DRM even if they do decide to block used games.

If it is just bundle pricing and they aren't connected you may have a problem if this rumor is true. Remember that the current gen DRM is tied to the Xbox Live account. There is no reason to think it won't be next generation.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I predict that Gamestop will end up like blockbuster.

Fine with me. I like the idea of a video game themed store but as far as I'm concerned they are a leach on the industry.

They have to be one of the most profitable companies in the gaming industry and they don't even produce anything. They basically rob the kids that sell their games and then sell them to someone else at practically the same price as new games from other stores. Used games sales are just about pure profit for them and the people who made the game don't see a cent.

I don't know how family Live accounts work. Are they actually connected in any way or is it just bundle pricing for multiple accounts? If you are currently able to share downloaded games on family accounts I don't think you will have any problems with the next gen DRM even if they do decide to block used games.

Download games and content is tied to a console. That I know is expected. Now that you can have your ID available in the cloud, all accounts have access to content on a given console.
Not too bad, since it's mostly DLC and arcade games we purchase. $15 or less for most. Rumors of locking a $60 game to a specific ID and/or console is what bothers me.

Fine with me. I like the idea of a video game themed store but as far as I'm concerned they are a leach on the industry.

They have to be one of the most profitable companies in the gaming industry and they don't even produce anything. They basically rob the kids that sell their games and then sell them to someone else at practically the same price as new games from other stores. Used games sales are just about pure profit for them and the people who made the game don't see a cent.

Have you even gone there? The used games are a lot less money than new ones.

Have you even gone there? The used games are a lot less money than new ones.

Yeah I go there all the time. For the new games that I have to have on day 1 they often have the best preorder bonuses. I am a pretty avid gamer. Between PS3 and Xbox 360 I have most of the major releases.

Sure their used games are less than their new prices. In my other post in this thread I pointed out that I can almost always find new copies for the same price or less from Amazon or other stores. I also don't buy the majority of my games on day one. If you wait 2 to 3 months you can usually find them with substantial discounts.

I'm not comparing GameStop used prices to GameStop new prices. I'm comparing GameStop used prices to new prices in general.

Last edited:
Yeah I go there all the time. For the new games that I have to have on day 1 they often have the best preorder bonuses. I am a pretty avid gamer. Between PS3 and Xbox 360 I have most of the major releases.

Sure their used games are less than their new prices. In my other post in this thread I pointed out that I can almost always find new copies for the same price or less from Amazon or other stores. I also don't buy the majority of my games on day one. If you wait 2 to 3 months you can usually find them with substantial discounts.

I'm not comparing GameStop used prices to GameStop new prices. I'm comparing GameStop used prices to new prices in general.

Ah. I see what you mean now.

I totally agree about new/used prices at Gamestop vs. other retailers, esp Amazon. I remember one time having an impulsive desire to play the first Assassins Creed. As a three-year-old game, it had been selling on Amazon for $15-$20 for quite some time, so I figured I could get it at Gamestop for no more than $20, especially if I went the used route. Much to my shock, used was selling for $28 and new for $30. I haven't been back to a Gamestop since (though I've taken advantage of a few online 50% off sales).

Here is a little more anti GameStop backup... Dead Space 3 came out 2 weeks ago. Amazon has it on sale today for $39.99. I doubt you could even find it used at GameStop yet but if you could it would likely be around $50. Plus EA games always require an online pass. If you want the full experience with co-op you would have to buy that as well bringing your total to $60 for a used copy.

Here is the amazon link for those who want to take advantage of it. I'll be picking myself up a copy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox

I can't get IGN to come up at all, must be over loaded.

Used games sales are just about pure profit for them and the people who made the game don't see a cent

Uhhh,they already seen their cent the first time the game was sold.Used game sales aren't hurting them imo.Chances are the folks that rely on used games would never buy new to begin with.

Couldn't get the link to work.Too lazy to go fire up the ps3 to watch.If ya hear anything interesting let us know.

I have been pulling my hair our since about 5:45. Can't find a feed on FTA and cannot get any of the supposed live feeds to work, and I have had this on my calender since January..Grrr.

So somebody that is watching what is the supposed new specs? I see you are not impressed Scott, I kinda felt that is the way it was gonna be but wanted to watch it oh well. What is their supposed claim to fame?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts