Please help me....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jtnoles

Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Guys, I was given this site by a buddy of mine.....So I am now hoping you guys can help.
I have tried to get DirecTV installed at my home 2 time now. The first time, the installer told me that I would need a SWM dish because my home is pre-wired for cable, and that way he wouldn't have to drill through my home.
No problem.
Except when they came back, the new installer told me that I wold not be able to have DirecTV and my cable internet and phone at the same time. Is he correct?
I was under the impression that with the SWM I could have DirecTV as well as any other Comcast outlets I would need (in this case 2). Am I wrong, or can someone explain the process so I can hopefully get connected before next Sunday's games?

Thank You ta anyone with suggestions or comments.

Welcome to the forum!

You need a line for DirecTV and a line for the cable company. I have DirecTV SWM setup and cable modem from my cable company. There are 2 lines into my home. One for DirecTV and one for cable. If you want each service availabe in all the rooms you will need 2 lines, one for each service provider. I have my cable modem in only 1 room so, that room (home office) has the company line going to it without DirecTV service, while all my other rooms have DirecTV service and no cable service to them.

Thanks,

I have a cathedral ceiling with no attic access, and he (DirecTV) said that he would have to use the pre-wire to run his system, and Comcast would have to re-run a wire for my phone and internet. Sound correct?
Do I have any other options?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forum!

You need a line for DirecTV and a line for the cable company. I have DirecTV SWM setup and cable modem from my cable company. There are 2 lines into my home. One for DirecTV and one for cable. If you want each service availabe in all the rooms you will need 2 lines, one for each service provider. I have my cable modem in only 1 room so, that room (home office) has the company line going to it without DirecTV service, while all my other rooms have DirecTV service and no cable service to them.

he's right. i have the exact same setup too. try to get that swm lnb if you can

:welcome

I have a cathedral ceiling with no attic access, and he (DirecTV) said that he would have to use the pre-wire to run his system, and Comcast would have to re-run a wire for my phone and internet. Sound correct?
Do I have any other options?
Pray for an installer that's not so lazy? :D

Looks like he's hoping the Comcast installer wouldn't be as lazy as him...

Depending upon how the home is prewired, and where the splitter (if any) is, the installer may be right. If he can't get to the splitter to disconnect the wire in the room where your cable modem is, then your choices are to have the cable company run a new wire to that location, or have the D* installer run new wires to every location where you have a receiver.

If there are no splitters, and every prewire is a home run to a common point, then he's just being lazy. All he would have to do is tone back through the line to figure out which one it is on the outside.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)