Please Help!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kokomogator

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
I recorded an HD program on my Pioneer recorder and it was recorded in the 16x9 format and plays as such on the recorder but when I put it in the HDDVD player it plays as 4.3 format. I have checked the picture size in settings and it is correct as 16x9 and also have tried the resolution button but it does not change to the 16x9. I have the XA2 unit.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Have you tested it in another DVD player to see if it plays in 16x9 in that player?

First gotta make sure that the problem is not the disc, once you confirm that, we can try to figure out the settings issues (if there is one) on the hD DVD player.

16x9 anamorphic DVDs have a flag that tells the DVD player that it is 16x9. If your DVD is flagged 4:3, the playback will be 4:3. It is possible your TV is set to 4:3 on your recorder, so it does not put the side pillars on the display when playing back 4:3 content. The HD-DVD player may have been told the TV is 16:9 so when it sees 4:3 content it puts the pillars on the side.

Perhaps if you put it in a PC windows media player properties will tell you how the DVD is flagged (I am away from home, so cannot test at this time).

It plays as 16x9 on my pioneer recorder and my PC. The setting on the HDDVD is correct as 16x9. Not sure what else to do....My settings on all is 16x9, tv, and both players.

You can rip the DVD to your PC and then download a freeware program called Ifoedit. It will allow you to change the flag to 16:9. It'll take you about five seconds to do this. Then, simply burn a new disc and you should be fine.

What kind of cable is your HD DVD player connected with?

What HD DVD player do you have?

I also believe your recorder does 4:3 and not 16:9. AFAIK, the only set top recorders capable of doing 16:9 are the Panasonics recording on DVD-RAM. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts