Please Help

eubenesa

Jan 17, 2006
Hi, I live in North Andover, MA. It's around 30-40 miles north from Boston. I would like to watch HDTV and other normal TV channels (FOX, UPN, CBS, NBC, etc.) on my computer. I already have an HDTV card plugged into my desktop (DVICO FusionHDTV 5 Gold). What do I need? How can I watch TV? I already tried with Zenith ZHDTV1 HDTV-UHF Digital Indoor Antenna, but I was only able to receive 1 normal channel from a close by station. I guess the antenna just sucks. Please help. Oh, I cannot get an outdoor antenna. It must be indoor. Thank you very much.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
Indoor antennas and 30+ mile range? You will need a good outdoor UHF directional antenna. I used zip 01845 and these were the results.

CALLSIGN CHANNEL NETWORK CITY DIRECTION MILES

WMUR-DT 9.1 ABC MANCHESTER NH 326° 31.9

WZMY-DT 35.1 IND DERRY NH 300° 14.9

WNEU-DT 60.1 TEL MERRIMACK NH 326° 32.0

WENH-DT 57.1 PBS DURHAM NH 7° 34.4

WPXG-DT 33.1 IND CONCORD NH 358° 36.3

WUNI-DT 27.1 UNI WORCESTER MA 248° 39.1

WUTF-DT 66.1 TFA MARLBOROUGH MA 239° 28.4

WGBH-DT 2.1 PBS BOSTON MA 210° 26.5

WBZ-DT 4.1 CBS BOSTON MA 210° 26.5

WCVB-DT 5.1 ABC BOSTON MA 210° 26.5

Last edited:

Killswitchengage

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 6, 2006
might wannna try a zenith silver arrow, I have one and can pick up abc, cbs, and nbc with some ease. I live about 25-30 miles from the towers here in Northern VA. Of course depending on weather conditions it can be a little sketchy. For instance Saturday and Sunday I couldn't get a strong fox signal for more than 5 min before it cut out. Last night on the other hand I watched 3 hours of fox in Hi-def with no cut outs at all.

I just ordered the Winegard ss-2000. The thing is only 16x16x4, so it's small and unassuming, and can be put on Decks, in attics or just around the house with amazing results. I should get mine on Friday and will let you know how it works.

Killswitchengage

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 6, 2006
actually I guess your allready using a zenith, sorry about that. GO to www.winegard.com and check out the ss-2000. I have a friend in San Diego who has one, lives in a townhouse about 35-40 miles away from the towers and has his set up on his deck.

He says he picks up all the majors with an average of 85% signal strength. He loves it to death and sold me on it so I ordered one from warren electronics.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
Make sure if you go with that antenna that you are under the 35miles and have DIRECT line of sight to the towers with minimal obstruction. These ss-2000 really are NOT worth more than $50.

OPTIMAL SPECS (and I question it having better range on DIG)

• Range for Channels (2-6): 0-10 Miles (Analog), 0-15 Miles (Digital)
• Range for Channels (7-13): 0-35 Miles (Analog), 0-40 Miles (Digital)
• Range for Channels (14-69): 0-45 Miles (Analog), 0-50 Miles (Digital)

Last edited:

Killswitchengage

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 6, 2006
charper1 said:
Make sure if you go with that antenna that you are under the 35miles and have DIRECT line of sight to the towers with minimal obstruction. These ss-2000 really are NOT worth more than $50.

OPTIMAL SPECS (and I question it having better range on DIG)

• Range for Channels (2-6): 0-10 Miles (Analog), 0-15 Miles (Digital)
• Range for Channels (7-13): 0-35 Miles (Analog), 0-40 Miles (Digital)
• Range for Channels (14-69): 0-45 Miles (Analog), 0-50 Miles (Digital)
Ok, SO you scared me into cancelling my order for the square shooter that I was going to pay 120 bucks for. I went to Lowes today and bought a Channel Master 3010 stealthtenna for 50 bucks. . Hooked it up to the 811, put the stealthtenna on my deck and did some tests. I got all the channels I wanted, ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, WB and PBS all in glorious HD. All with a signal of 75-85%strength.

The only problem is that to get PBS, WB and NBC, I literally had to go and point the antenna in the opposite direction of the other channels I get. SO heres the dilemma. how do I install this thing? I have two options it seems, either to go up on my deck and change the position everytime I want to watch half the channels I want or install a rotor.

Installing a rotor seems really tricky. Not even mentioning the mast set up, the grounding and the diplexing. Geez I feel like my head was gonna explode!Anyone have any real experience with this? any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. I can have the antenna
installed on my roof with a rotr for about $450. Now this seems like a LOT of money to me, but not having to deal with the headache seems like a fair trade. what do you guys think?

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Lubbock, Texas
The Stealth is a little pricy for the performance you get. A CM 4221 or a CM 4228 would be a better performer at less money, you could even afford a rotator, since your stations are in opposite directions.

Killswitchengage

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 6, 2006
JIm,

I'm actually quite pleased with the stealth so far. I thought the price was pretty decent and the fact that I can just install it under my deck is a huge plus.

I'm going to install it this weekend (permanently that is) and just move it when I need to watch the other channels. I literally only have to move the antenna to the right about 7 inches to pull in PBS and the WB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts