please read need help /advice . first timer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

madratboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
tx
first hello everyone !

i am in need of a lil coaching !
i have a 31" dish , new universal linear lnb , & a coolsat 7000 pvr !
i am aiming at 97w (free only ) trial and error ))
problem is now -- with old lnb i could get L@86% and a Q of 35% !

I am in dfw texas . used dish pointer .com -----
with new universal linear lnb i get L @ 85% & Q @ 2%
new lnb is hd, digital , freq: 11.76 - 12.75
out : 950-2000 mhz
L.O. 10.75g
0.1db

lnb skew is -2

tried increment moves on dish - no luck !! even tried my cs5000 prem + stb - same thing.

question now -- is it my stb ? lnb ? or just aiming issue ? android compass app's dont seem to want to position right ( magnetic)

any info or help GREATLY APPRECIATED !!! THANKS IN ADVANCE

If it's really a universal LNB, are you sure that the LO freq. is 10750? Most of them are 11600. Also, if you're not setting your receiver to universal, you'll need to turn on the 22kHz tone.

new lnb is hd, digital
Your old LNBF is also "HD digital". (that's 'marketing hype'- also applies to OTA television antennas)
If the new LNBF L.O. is 10750 make settings in receiver to match:
Type: Standard
L.O. 10750
FYI:
is also 'marketing hype'.

Shopping list

Show us some pictures of dish & LNBF.
If the LNBF is not mounted in the right spot and aimed correctly, you might have trouble getting it to work.

What do you mean by old LNBF?
Give part number/brand of both.

When you say new LNBF is universal, do you mean general purpose?
Because "Universal" means something, as Jim S mentioned above.
If the LO is 10750, then it is "Standard".
Either will work, but the receiver needs to be set up properly.

Are you using any switches, motors, splices, etc. in your cable?
Take the receiver out to the dish .

Click The List link at the top of any page.
Find a hot transponder on your bird of choice for initial tuneup, and enter it into the receiver.

Has this receiver ever been working on FTA?
Check the firmware version and post it.
We might have a newer FACTORY firmware in our download department.

hmm ! website ad was for Universal hd lnb . box it came in says :
digital ku single lnbf
input : 11.70-12.75 ghz
output: 950 -2000mhz
L.O. freq: 10.75 ghz
noise : 0.1 db
40mm throat.

tried setting rec to single then universal . no luck
tried switching 22k on - same thing .
triple checked aiming (not sure about elevation though - does it align with edge of nut or center of bolt?) 52.1 elevation looks high -- old dtv/dn dish next to it is at 42 deg elevation !!
what other sat is non Dn or D* ... maybe i should try aiming for another .. just seemed 97w had the most and should be the easiest for new lnb setting up !!!

Show us some pictures of dish & LNBF.
If the LNBF is not mounted in the right spot and aimed correctly, you might have trouble getting it to work.

What do you mean by old LNBF?
Give part number/brand of both.

When you say new LNBF is universal, do you mean general purpose?
Because "Universal" means something, as Jim S mentioned above.
If the LO is 10750, then it is "Standard".
Either will work, but the receiver needs to be set up properly.

Are you using any switches, motors, splices, etc. in your cable?
Take the receiver out to the dish .

Click The List link at the top of any page.
Find a hot transponder on your bird of choice for initial tuneup, and enter it into the receiver.

Has this receiver ever been working on FTA?
Check the firmware version and post it.
We might have a newer FACTORY firmware in our download department.

i had a dp 500/1000 lnb that got 31% q*
dish is a 31x27/28 no name off set . (ch master i think seller said) wider than tall.

post info for new lnb .

now for 7000 pvr .. i picked it up used from a friends thats dad past (dad had it working)
but ---- it was for Dn p$ and iks --- I BELIEVE !!!!

tried a factory reset ! now in blind scan it jumps from 4% to 100% and back to 5% in seconds.

for wiring -- single lnb , wire straight to 7000pvr (no switches as some one told me they were not needed in this case)
took tv to rooftop and box , high grade rg6 (donated by a local tech/installer .)

dish settings:
97.0w - freq: 11748 mhz - lnb power on, lnb type single, lnb freq: 10750 , 22khz -off, diseqc sw off, legacy sw off.

level 85% quality --- now 0%

coolsat 7000 micro pvr model c7
loader ver. l 1.01
app vers. s2010 1.00
driver ver api 1.2.04
data ver. fdu v1.2

set for blind scan - all polarity , all channels !!

starting to think the NEW lnb is trash !!! :confused:

Last edited:
31" is pretty small for a FTA dish so you might have a little bit of a challenge. A couple things come to mind...

Ku reception can be really sensitive to LNBF position. For my GeoSatPro dish, the LNBF has to be all the way back in the mounting bracket or there's a severe loss of signal. You might try this.... set up your receiver (drag the receiver and TV out to the dish), remove the top half of the LNBF bracket, start with the LNBF in the bracket, and VERY SLOWLY move it beyond where the bracket can hold it. No more than 1/4" per second, and watch the Q meter.

One other thing... what frequency/SR are you using? Someone might be able to tell you if another mux would be stronger. Ordinarily I would already have done that for you before posting, but my Ku setup is torn down at the moment.

i will try moving lnb ! thanks for advice . define freq /sr ?
weird thing is i can switch from 7000 pvr to 5000 platinum and q will increase but not over 9%
to where the 7000 only get 2-4% or 0% Q*
may just order the 1.1m with motor i found !

a 31" should get you 95% of what is available on 97w if you are near DFW. It sounds like you are close, but not sure what to do to dial it in. You first need to pick a channel to set the receiver to on 97W. Here is the recommended settings for finding 97W: 97 (G19 formerly IA5/T5/G25)-12177 V 23000 or 11842 H 22000. Set your receiver to one of those settings when you are trying to aim. Watch the Q number while tuned to one of these and make your adjustments.

Pictures go a long way when it comes to getting help setting things up the first time. After the first setup, you will be able to do another install in a lot less time.

Let us know how it is going, and post pics if you can.

ok. will add tp today , i THINKS - maybe its the new lnb bracket , i had to replace the old one and modify a lil . double checking it today (just maybe i got it a lil off ) . and cannot figure why i got signal and Q8 with old linear lnb and not hardly anything on this new one - UNLESS its off angle a lil :rolleyes:

second thought : whats a really good app for pointing (bird finding) or decent meter for novice pointer ? i have dish angling app ! (has zero in feature).

With Ku a "lil" is a lot :D.As far as signal goes that doesn't really tell you much and my CS5k will show quality of 5 to10 when pointed at absolutely nothing.With a CS5k until you start seeing a quality of say15 or more then you know you're at least close.And you won't be able to watch anything till you get a quality better than 63 on a CS5k.

Neither The List nor Lyngsat list 11748.
you'll 'see' 11748 if the LO is set to 10600, but the actual LO of the LNBF is
10750. 10750 - 10600 = 150 | 11748 + 150 = 11898 lyngsat: 11898 V tp 9
Pictures go a long way when it comes to getting help setting things up the first time.
Or the second or third some times. Your Elevation scale was one in question. Pictures would really help. Also of the LNBF mount. Brand of dish?

woo hoo ! online again. i had the lnb a lil high (new bracket). and elev. was of by 1.5 deg. but i am only getting import chnl's . with cs 5k p stb . switching back to 7000 pvr and checking adj's ..... is 125w any good?

OOOO kay . switched to 7000 m pvr stb . cannot get anything . yet with cs 5k p+ stb i can get 97w 101w 105 and some 110. without moving dish and they are all above 87% any ideals?

Ideas? Not really. But you're saying, without re-aiming the dish you get channels from
110, DN above 12200?
105, Macys?
101 - Pentagon, BVN?
& 97 -200+ channels?
I don't think that's really possible with a single LNBF. I think I'd remove all transponders and channels and blind scan to see what' s what. (making sure the programmed LO is what the LNBF is so all frequencies fall within a couple digits of TheLIST & lyngsat )

kool fat . reset ... and yes i am getting 35 ch.s on 97 + some showing $$ . not 200+ though. and about 5 from 105, 4-5 from 95 and 5from 110 and 2 from 101. +38 audio .
the 7000 stb must of had bl software because i reloaded firmware and it now works and getting same as 5000+ .... is there 200 ch on 97w not $ chls?

need bird suggestions !!!

Last edited:
there are over 200 ch on 97w that are not scrambled. What are some of the channel names? Clear and scrambled from each satellite?

well fat , i aimed for 127 but the 7000 or 5000 does not seem to have info . once i aimed at 97 again now i p/u 48 ch.

i assume the 7000 m pvr & 5000 p+ are just outdated stb's .. and 31" may be to small . i get a lot of good locks in blind scan but not tuning them in . except the $$ ch's about 65 of them ...... i found emu firmware for the 5k . what ever that is. thanks everyone . guessing i will put on hold and buy the 1.1m i found and maybe a stb.

I used to get everything on 97 on a 31" dish. I think you just need to aim a little more carefully, unless something is wrong like your dish being bent.

I also had no problems with a Coolsat 7000 at the time. Now, some channels are DVB-S2 and/or MPEG4, which it won't get, but most of them on 97 aren't.

What were you trying to get from 127? There's nothing there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts