Please Read: Uplink Report Update by Scott

One reason we may not be getting more HD from Dish is because people may not be leaving in droves for Direct TV as people think, and maybe thier sales are up so there not going to worry about it until they get there new satellites up at one point in the future.

Bill

We will find out tommorow when Directv has its quarterly review. I dont know when dish's is though.

One reason we may not be getting more HD from Dish is because people may not be leaving in droves for Direct TV as people think, and maybe thier sales are up so there not going to worry about it until they get there new satellites up at one point in the future.

Bill

Don't know about droves but I'm a 10 year customer leaving for Direct. I have patiently waited for Dish to do something, even if it was an announcement saying we are getting the following channels but not until July/ August / etc but to be completely mum on the situation is ignorant and an insult to me as a long time customer.

Brian

Don't know about droves but I'm a 10 year customer leaving for Direct. I have patiently waited for Dish to do something, even if it was an announcement saying we are getting the following channels but not until July/ August / etc but to be completely mum on the situation is ignorant and an insult to me as a long time customer.

They don't know themselves

They are talking to those channels, if there were signed contracts, then some of the channels would be available now.

And, it is clear that no one can depend on satellite launches.

So, no one knows, including EchoStar.

No one is keeping anything from you.

I disagree Kstuart. While your point is well taken that 'they don't know themselves' as to what channels will be added or when, they could at least tell us what channels they are persuing. If they aren't even talking to NBC Universal (USA/SciFi/CNBC/Etc) or Time Warner (CNN/TBS/TNT/Etc) about expaning HD offerings, the whole thing gets kinda hard to swallow. I'd prefer they at least let us know they're doing something, even if something falls through.

That said, I have faith they'll ultimately deliver the channels we're all asking for and talking about. Not sure how soon, but I just re-upped for the DVR advantage pack and 18 months on 1/31 in an effort to avoid the price increases.

Here's to some new channels to discover this week!

Murph

[quote[They are talking to those channels, if there were signed contracts, then some of the channels would be available now.[/quote] This is NOT TRUE. I have talked to a number of programmers "off the record" and I am told that deals are signed and done. (And this is on some very popular channels too) They are just waiting for Dish to turn them on.

Dish is working on something big, I am hearing that last night a lot of MPEG4 were in testing. As soon as Sky Angel goes off the air I see a lot of things opening up and people are going to say WOW.

Dish is working on something big, I am hearing that last night a lot of MPEG4 were in testing. As soon as Sky Angel goes off the air I see a lot of things opening up and people are going to say WOW.

What will this do for people (like me) with a 1000.2 dish and no LOS to 61.5? Are they going to be able to provide the same capacity at 129?

[quote[They are talking to those channels, if there were signed contracts, then some of the channels would be available now.
This is NOT TRUE. I have talked to a number of programmers "off the record" and I am told that deals are signed and done. (And this is on some very popular channels too) They are just waiting for Dish to turn them on.

Dish is working on something big, I am hearing that last night a lot of MPEG4 were in testing. As soon as Sky Angel goes off the air I see a lot of things opening up and people are going to say WOW.[/quote]

So in your opinion, should i canel my D* order while i still have time?:confused:

This is NOT TRUE. I have talked to a number of programmers "off the record" and I am told that deals are signed and done. (And this is on some very popular channels too) They are just waiting for Dish to turn them on.

So in your opinion, should i canel my D* order while i still have time?:confused:[/quote]

While many are frustrated (including me), I would hang on for at least 6 more weeks.:)

Thats up to you, I dont see a lot of this stuff being turned on until May.

MPEG4 is the future for everything.

You have said it before. Why can't Dish put out its plans to let them be known. Scott. Do you realize how many subs will stay on with Dish just by you making this statement. Charlie could learn something from you.:)

The air is thin in Denver, they are not smart enough to listen to me. :(

Imagine the excitement they could generate if they promoted what they doing?

You have said it before. Why can't Dish put out its plans to let them be known. Scott. Do you realize how many subs will stay on with Dish just by you making this statement. Charlie could learn something from you.:)

I agree tiger, but it's dangling the carrot in front of the horse again. That is in no way meant for any dis-respect towards Scott. I think most, if not all of us appreciate the info Scott gives us. But, there is still that other part of me that is like, yea right, I wont hold my breath. That sucks.... I don't want to leave E*, but I actually went out and priced D* yesterday....ugh... I know the wife wont pay the early termination fee to get out of my contract with E*, but I guess I just wanted to see what they are about. They have the Tulsa locals which is the biggie for me. And from everything thats been reported about the new locals in HD this year, it doesnt look like Tulsa will make it anytime soon.

Ok, *rant* off. :)

The problem is statements like this have been made before. What about the " Sci-Fi HD...when can we watch?" thread? They have feed Scott bull before. What's different now? I'm not a mushroom. D* is now the HD leader, there I said it as bad as it hurt. When E* adds more HD do you thing D* is just going to site on the butt's like E* did? I don't think so. They have the lead and will try like hell to hold on to it.

I agree tiger, but it's dangling the carrot in front of the horse again. That is in no way meant for any dis-respect towards Scott. I think most, if not all of us appreciate the info Scott gives us. But, there is still that other part of me that is like, yea right, I wont hold my breath. That sucks.... I don't want to leave E*, but I actually went out and priced D* yesterday....ugh... I know the wife wont pay the early termination fee to get out of my contract with E*, but I guess I just wanted to see what they are about. They have the Tulsa locals which is the biggie for me. And from everything thats been reported about the new locals in HD this year, it doesnt look like Tulsa will make it anytime soon.

Ok, *rant* off. :)

lol. True.

Do you know where we hear about the light up of new locals first? Right here. First with Digi and the uplink reports way back in December and then Dish confirms it at CES.

And yes Scott let us know (not Dish) last week about which locals are in line first.

We here get excited about the news. Wouldn't the rest of the tv world hold the same excitement if Dish would just communicate?

We're all in an uproar on this and similar sites, but the average Joe isn't in such an uproar. If he sees the D* ads on TV, he may check to see if a channel he wants is on D*, and consider switching. Then he'll think about the hassle, and decide if he still wants to switch. Then he'll talk to his spouse who will probably veto it, and he wont switch. Or at least a large number wont switch, and this is only from the smaller pool who have actually have or care about HD.

E* absolutely should remain silent about piddly roll-outs of a handful of channels (even SciFi, USA, etc). It makes little business sense at this point to draw attention to their HD deficiency. (Think about the political candidates who never actually answer the tough question - you never, ever, ever admit to a vulnerability is the conventional political wisdom).

Once they're a little closer to ensuring their satellite launches are as on-track as they can be, then make the big announcement of "soon we'll have 150 billion HD channels" like D* did.

Also, E* is advertising on an OTA station here in Austin, which I've not seem them do much of (if ever)...so I feel confident we'll see an HD response from them when they are prepared to provide one.

My wifes argument for switching is the over $20 per month savings by switching to D* and getting the channels she wants that E* does not have now. We are out of contract so there iare no hassles other that getting the equipment returned. dish has worked beautifully for the last 2yrs with no system problem or interruptions. We already have a Dish 1000 and VIP622 so we are ready for the new content when it arrives, but money talks in my wifes eyes ( I bet i have the only wife that looks at it that way :D).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts