Please Someone Help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tsrk30

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
I have been having a problem and I have done everything I can think of to get it fixed. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it!

Here is all the information:

I have a R-10 Direct-TV receiver with TIVO

Months ago I began to hear a static popping sound on the XM channels. If you turn to channel 856 and listen for about 30 minuets you should have no problem hearing what I am talking about. I have had a number of people confirm that they are experiencing the very same thing. This topic has also showed up on a number of INTERNET discussion forums like this one. I have called Direct-TV 6 times, and have received horrible customer service. I would love to get this problem resolved so I can enjoy the XM channels. I have a XM receiver and the problem is not occurring when listening on it. The problem only is occurring when listening via-Direct-TV.

Can someone please help?

Last edited:
Hi tsrk30, I remember having a discussion about something similiar to this, but it was about SIRIUS's Big 80s (thread). You must have a good ear for finding these little quirks ;-)

IMO, since the sound quality of the audio on Direct TV is better than what you can receive on an XM receiver, I would imagine that Direct TV is being sent the audio before XM compresses the streams for uplinking to the satellites. The problem could be in the audio feed between XM and Direct TV or somewhere in Direct TV's system.

I'm not as up to speed about how the satellite radio companies get their audio to the satellite tv companies... but I'm sure it's on this site somewhere.

I'm curious to what you find. I cannot imagine that XM would be very helpful since the problem cannot be duplicated on thier channels. If you don't find an answer here, you'd have to try and get a good CSR at Direct TV, but I doubt you'd call back about this.

I listen to 841 every day and never hear anything wrong. I'll check out 856.

Wow, I was really hoping there would be more help from this forum! I am not asking anyone to climb MT. Everest! just for a little help.

tsrk30 said:
Wow, I was really hoping there would be more help from this forum! I am not asking anyone to climb MT. Everest! just for a little help.

Good point! You should demand a refund!. ;)

EDIT: I now hear the popping too, see post #7.

Seriously though, maybe noone has an answer to give. I have not heard any pops at all on the channel in question, though I do not have the same model recv., pops are usually indicative of electrical noise on the same line (bad ground anyone?), the fact you state it is ever 30 mins or so, might further indicate that it is something with a motor on a timer, perhaps the fridge, or A/C unit. Try and remove all power loads on the same circuit (as well as the A/C and fridge, even if not on same circuit) as your media center to see if that is indeed the case, you may want to also check the grounding of the dish at the block. I don't know if it's your problem, but it is a possible answer.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am not stating it happens every 30 minutes. I am saying if a person listens for 30 minutes they should be able to hear it. If this problem was the cause of some electric interference then should not the sound occur on all Direct-TV channels? Since I have both my Direct-TV receiver and my Xm receiver plugged into the same Yamaha Home Receiver should I not here the sound when I am listening to the same channel on my XM receiver?
Why have others reported the same problem on other sites and even Direct-TV even confirmed they have received a number of calls? I simply would like to get the problem resolved so I can listen to Xm through Direct-TV and not my XM receiver.

I take my post back, I hear the popping, it sounds like something I used to hear on badly made mp3s..and its very frequent now on the song that is on now as of this typing (the eyes of amelia), it seems to be on this song, but none of the other songs I heard earlier.

Doing it on every song now, perhaps the other songs were too loud, but it is very frequent. I am going to try other channels now...lol, see what you started..;)

See I am not crazy. Channel 856 is perfectt o hear the problem due to the type of music they play! When this problem was going on with Sirius Satellite radio people thought I was crazy then as well! What can we do to get this fixed???

tsrk30 said:
See I am not crazy. Channel 856 is perfectt o hear the problem due to the type of music they play! When this problem was going on with Sirius Satellite radio people thought I was crazy then as well! What can we do to get this fixed???

I would think the only way is for XM (or D*, whomevers problem it is) subs to bitch about it, and being that XM is being pumped to us through D*, the fingerpointing would be the route most companies would choose, so unless enough people start bitching, or they just 'fix' it on their own, I do not think you will find relief otherwise.

Sorry.

Can you call and report the problem? I have already done that 6 times.

tsrk30 said:
Let know what response you get

They more or less blamed it on XM. I explained that it doesn't happen on a stand-alone XM receivers (I don't have stand-alone XM, so I am taking your word for that from your first post that, that is the case), they stated it is the feed they get as XM gives it to them, and suggest perhaps I contact XM *shrug*

They are blaming the R-10 and are going to replace mine with the R-15 at no cost to me. We will see if this fixes anything.

If anyone else can take a few minutes and listen to channel 856 carefully and then report any problems to Direct-tv would be great!

I am now at the breaking point. I just hooked up a R15-500 receiver and the popping sound is there! A person would have to be almost deaf not to here it. Can someone please help? It has already been demonstrated once in this thread that people who say there is nothing wrong and then go back and carefully listen are then admitting they hear what I am talking about. Can other please assist me with the problem? Tune in to channel 856 and listen very carefully for about 30 minutes. You will hear the popping sound I have been talking about.

tsrk30 said:
I am now at the breaking point. I just hooked up a R15-500 receiver and the popping sound is there! A person would have to be almost deaf not to here it. Can someone please help? It has already been demonstrated once in this thread that people who say there is nothing wrong and then go back and carefully listen are then admitting they hear what I am talking about. Can other please assist me with the problem? Tune in to channel 856 and listen very carefully for about 30 minutes. You will hear the popping sound I have been talking about.

FWIW, since your last visit, I have gotten 9 of the 12 (I'll get the other 3 when I see them) people I know with D* to listen (and eventually they ALL heard it), and they called and complained, 5 of the 9 initiated the complaint without my prompting, the other 4 I had to talk into it (they don't listen to XM at all), but they did it as a favor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts