Pole mount OD size?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jack Rabbit

Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
CO
I know this has been talked about a lot here but I need to know that the OD size of the pole needs to be. I have to re-do mine because the prev owner did not put a bolt in it and it is spinning in the concrete, and it is actually 1 and 7/8 inch which I know is wrong. I plan to do it right with sch 40, with bolt in it....just need to know the correct OD size.

PS.Will be having HD and DVR stuff put in if that matters.

Well I found 2 places that have 2 inch tubing:
1 is a muffler shop that has 2 inch od aluminized tubing that is 14 guage and is a shorter drive for me to get to.

The other is a steel tubing place that has sch 40 plain steel that is close to 1.900 " and they also have 2 inch OD with a wall of 1/8" but again is not galvinized.

Which should I go with?

There are chain link fence posts that are 2" OD and galvanized. These are available at fence supply stores and some home improvement stores (though often not in their catalogs).

The other option would be to do a cold galvanize treatment on black tubing. I'm suspicious that the aluminized tube is going to invite some curious galvanic issues.

Don't forget some sort of anti-spin provision (crushing, through-bolt, etc.) for the below-grade portion of the tube.

1 is a muffler shop that has 2 inch od aluminized tubing that is 14 guage and is a shorter drive for me to get to.

The other is a steel tubing place that has sch 40 plain steel that is close to 1.900 " and they also have 2 inch OD with a wall of 1/8" but again is not galvinized.

Which should I go with?

The schedule 40 would be stronger. You could use flashing to make it big enough.

Which should I go with?

PERSONALLY, I would go with the galvinized. Plus I think the 2 is a better fit that the 1.9. But either would work.

I agree. I went with the muffler shop pipe. It is exactly 2" OD, and the shop is close to me so the drive wasn't too bad. It is 14 ga so itll be a little stronger than the 18 ga that is being sold online.

I had a fence post that wasn't quite 2". But two wraps of aluminum flashing did the trick.

I don't think that would work that well with 1.9" OD.

I had a fence post that wasn't quite 2". But two wraps of aluminum flashing did the trick.

Same for me, I installed fence post that was 1.9". With some flashing, the dish fit perfectly.

It will. I used 1.5" rigid electrical conduit bought at Lowes (cheap). The rigid conduit is very heavy duty and 1.9" OD. I wrapped the top with a collar using .035" aluminum flashing. It has been installed now for four years with no signs of wear and tear.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)