Pole size vs. roofline...need opinions...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
I'm seeking a lot of input/help. I'm probably the laziest one on this site about getting my C-band dish up.
I've received conflicting opinions on a lot of installl tips.
I'm ready for the opinions from the community. Here is the situation:

Pole size: 14 feet steel with 3.5 OD
Roof line is 10 feet from the ground
Dish is a used SAMI 7.5 footer with actuator.

Need to get an idea of: how much concrete (bags needed), how far into the ground with the pole, and other ideas. I know all this is posted in many locations but everyone's situation is unique. Thanks in advance.

Need to also get an idea of what a C-band install SHOULD cost as opposed to the previous installer telling me it would be an $800-900 job.

Be sure the left over 4 feet is enough to clear the roof line. I would guess you need a little more than 4 feet I could be wrong.
I would make a stand off bracket from the garage wall near the top and use about 7 bags of cement with an 18" diameter base about 3-4 feet down in the ground.

Get below your frost line so you don't get frost heave.

fill the pole with cement to the top with a thin soupy mix of cement.

Be sure to make sure your pole is perfectly plumb in all directions.

Should be good from there.

I'm in south florida, so no worries on frost.

So....is the 14 foot pole too short to clear the roofline?

Are you also suggesting to FILL the pole itself with cement??

I think the 14 foot pole is a little short.
Yes fill the inside of the pole with cement.
this will make that tall pole very rigid and you won't have the dish shaking in the wind which can hurt your Ku band on the big dish.

The amount of pipe required above the roof line depends on the pitch of the roof and the orientation the mount. You will probably need a longer pipe or an extension because if you go 2 1/2' deep into the ground, that will only leave 1 1/2 feet above the roof.

If you can attach the pole to the eave and go 2 1/2 to 3' deep with 5-6 80# bags of concrete, it should be solid without having to fill the pipe with concrete.

If there is no gutter on the eave and you can lag into the studs behind the fascia, a cheap yet strong solution is to use Unistrut with half straps for 3 1/2" O.D. pipe.

My 7.5 came off the side of a house that had it mounted about 5 foot above the facia. The pole was planted in a hole about a foot wide, I have no idea how deep it was. I have the 3 1/2" facia mount bracket, if you want it, pay shipping and its yours. :D

I had forgot to ask if the roof was pitched or flat. What is the general rule for clearance on a 7.5'?

I am thinking my 7.5' pointed at amc-8 which is somewhere around 15 degees of elevation here is about 5 feet from the ground to have "comfortable" clearance. (polar mount to the ground)

Attachments

• IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1389.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1390.JPG
    IMG_1390.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 158
Stogie, you recommend this being mounted against the wooden fascia? Just wanna be sure. I'd rather get it into the concrete but if this can work, let me know. Remember, just like you, I'm in a hurricane prone area.

Stogie, you recommend this being mounted against the wooden fascia? Just wanna be sure. I'd rather get it into the concrete but if this can work, let me know. Remember, just like you, I'm in a hurricane prone area.

I think you misunderstood. The bracket in my pics was used IN ADDITION to the bottom of the pipe buried in the ground next to the house. The bracket is screwed to the facia and the pipe is put in the bracket to hold the pipe plumb because it it so high off the ground.

In other words, dig a hole in the ground next to the house, concrete the pipe in, and use my bracket screwed to the house to hold the pipe plumb. :)

Installing your Satellite dish

I'm seeking a lot of input/help. I'm probably the laziest one on this site about getting my C-band dish up.
I've received conflicting opinions on a lot of installl tips.
I'm ready for the opinions from the community. Here is the situation:

Pole size: 14 feet steel with 3.5 OD
Roof line is 10 feet from the ground
Dish is a used SAMI 7.5 footer with actuator.

Need to get an idea of: how much concrete (bags needed), how far into the ground with the pole, and other ideas. I know all this is posted in many locations but everyone's situation is unique. Thanks in advance.

Need to also get an idea of what a C-band install SHOULD cost as opposed to the previous installer telling me it would be an $800-900 job.
Hello techno935,
I too live in Florida. North of you and by the "Nature Coast" and Crystal River. Remember we have sand as soil. So you will need more cement.

Bury your pole deep with plenty of cement. The rule of thumb I have learned is one bag of 80lb bag of cement for every foot of your dish. You have a 7.5 foot dish means 8 bags. However the sand becomes an issue so I would go with 10 bags. Its better to spend a little bit more on the cement then to find one day a huricane took it out. Also be sure to have some holes through the bottom of the pole so you can put rebar through the pole to keep it intach with the cement.
Now my question to you is: Are you planning on placing this dish up against your home? You want the side with the most view towards a southern direction. I have enclosed some links for you as I think they will help you too. One is from Sadoun Satellite Sales,
Installing your own Satellite System:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Installation.htm
Be sure to check out Tips & tricks http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Dish-Pointing-Tips.htm

The other is a site who was putting up a 12' footer. Still it will help you by the images of their progress.
It's called: "The 12' Orbitron Dish Install Or the trials and tribulations of trying to do it yourself!" Satellite Dish Install

Also you will have plenty of great advise here, so let us know how you are doing!

Tom:)

P.S. The site for the install also shows the use of a bracket attahed to your home using a stronger way of holding it.

Last edited:
Great stuff. Thank you guys. I'll keep you all posted.

Stogie, what I meant was IN ADDITION with the concrete on the ground. The concrete I was talking about was the concrete against the house. Shouldn't that bracket go into the side of house against concrete? OR is it ok with going into the wooden fascia board.

Either way, I'll still be interested in that bracket. If you could PM me, that would be great. If you make a paypal invoice I'll take care of it.

Great stuff. Thank you guys. I'll keep you all posted.

Stogie, what I meant was IN ADDITION with the concrete on the ground. The concrete I was talking about was the concrete against the house. Shouldn't that bracket go into the side of house against concrete? OR is it ok with going into the wooden fascia board.

Either way, I'll still be interested in that bracket. If you could PM me, that would be great. If you make a paypal invoice I'll take care of it.

I'm not trying to answer for stogie here but, what I understand is that bracket is used to hold the UPPER part of the pole. There is no concrete that high on your house to mount to. If you screw that securely into the wooden fascia it should hold the top of the pole plumb just fine. Hope this helps

I'm not trying to answer for stogie here but, what I understand is that bracket is used to hold the UPPER part of the pole. There is no concrete that high on your house to mount to. If you screw that securely into the wooden fascia it should hold the top of the pole plumb just fine. Hope this helps

You did fine. That's exactly how it was on the house it came off of, lag screwed into the facia. I have no idea how they kept it plumb that high.. :D

Thanks again everyone. I just dread big jobs. I'm a lazy butt. If I had paid for the dish, it would be up by now. I got this one for free from a nearby neighbor.

Being that it came from the neighbor down the street, declination and all that other crap SHOULD still be the same.

(Nothing was adjusted from when it was taken down)

That's a good idea. If my Neighbor's tree continues to grow and spread out - I may be going after a longer pole. It looks like his tree will get me from about G-15 to amc-8.

I though about going to the back of my lot and when my garage gets built, putting a tall pole on the back of the garage straight up the middle of the roof peak about 8 feet above the garage peak. Then I could build a small treated wood platform on the roof for my step ladder so I could tune and service the dish. The roof is going to be a 3-12 pitch. It will not be steep.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)