Poll what will be your response if equiptment fees go up a lot?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

• Total voters

Where's the poll?

Define a lot? $10, $20/month? I would try to reorganize the equipment and package to drop down the price. Or possibly switch to Direct TV (depending on their price increase). Because switching back to the local Cable Co. (Insight) for TV is a LAST resort.

EDIT: Poll is up now. :)

In my personal case, I future proofed myself and dropped off the extra 722 and 622 dvrs last price hike in February of 2009. I traded in all 3 of my hd dvrs for a 722k and a 211k , that I paid the $39.99 fee to turn into a dvr for my kid. So I will see a $1.02 increase in my bill because they will eliminate the Locals/Dvr bundled pack. I also dropped down to top 250 and dropped off all premium movie packs ,except for the .01 CInemax deal ,that has expired now. I advise all subs with multiple dvrs to do what I have done and drop off all extra dvrs off of your account after the one and go with 211ks with dvr software support. You still get the dvrs with OUT the extra $5.00 Tv 2 connection fees that will be accessed on all duo tuner dvrs. So a 211k will still be just $7.00 for each one after the primary receiver on your account. Drop the premium movie packs as well so you don't have to pay another $40.00 for movies you won't watch anyway, because you have already seen them.

Likely to do all of the last 4. There is no overreaction for subs who have 4 HD DVR's and 2 HD boxes or all 6HD DVR's. It will be an increase of nearly 20 or more percent. That would be somewhere about $25-$30 or so dollars. That is NO overreaction, and quite frankly, I'm pretty tired of hearing that from subs who have only one or a few boxes and standard packages. Good for you; sleep well. As for subs like Scott, myself, and other AEP, high-end, many STB--and some with Internationals, as well--leave it to us to discuss the huge impact to our bills. If you have suggestions of economy or methods of communication with Dish, fine, but please stop telling us how to react to a proposed massive increase to our bills, and furthermore, I do hope my "overreaction" hits Charlie Ergan's ears because the only hope we have of Dish altering its planned hikes--no matter how small--is if we do "overreact." Using your method, we would undoubtedly be assured of being raped by Dish Network. Perhaps Scott might consider a separate sub-forum for AEP, high-end folks to share our concerns with each other without repeatedly being told--it seems by the same individual?--how to react from others who don't face the same massive increase in our monthly bills? You've already told us. Thank you. After all, its only money, right? I suppose you share the criticism of Scott having posted what he has learned and confirmed about this fee restructuring and chide him for it. Further reason for you to move along, and let those who have a legitimate concern about this carry on without your broken record, talking parrot squawking of "overreaction. overreaction. overreaction. SQUAWK" Please return to Captain Morgan's shoulder.

As someone free and clear of any contracts to dish, who pays for his own receivers, does his own upgrades, etc. If they raise my prices I will drop the premiums and end up with a lower bill.

3rd thread

Likely to do all of the last 4. There is no overreaction for subs who have 4 HD DVR's and 2 HD boxes or all 6HD DVR's. It will be an increase of nearly 20 or more percent. That would be somewhere about $25-$30 or so dollars. That is NO overreaction, and quite frankly, I'm pretty tired of hearing that from subs who have only one or a few boxes and standard packages. Good for you; sleep well. As for subs like Scott, myself, and other AEP, high-end, many STB--and some with Internationals, as well--leave it to us to discuss the huge impact to our bills. If you have suggestions of economy or methods of communication with Dish, fine, but please stop telling us how to react to a proposed massive increase to our bills, and furthermore, I do hope my "overreaction" hits Charlie Ergan's ears because the only hope we have of Dish altering its planned hikes--no matter how small--is if we do "overreact." Using your method, we would undoubtedly be assured of being raped by Dish Network. Perhaps Scott might consider a separate sub-forum for AEP, high-end folks to share our concerns with each other without repeatedly being told--it seems by the same individual?--how to react from others who don't face the same massive increase in our monthly bills? You've already told us. Thank you. After all, its only money, right? I suppose you share the criticism of Scott having posted what he has learned and confirmed about this fee restructuring and chide him for it. Further reason for you to move along, and let those who have a legitimate concern about this carry on without your broken record, talking parrot squawking of "overreaction. overreaction. overreaction. SQUAWK" Please return to Captain Morgan's shoulder.

This is the 3rd thread on the same thing. That is why I feel it is overreacting. I will not flame you as you seem to want to do. I feel that all that has been said in the other 2 are the same as is going to be said here.

It depends on many factors,
How Much of an increase
What channels are released in the next few months
If E* gives me another $10 per month credit for another 12 months
And what HD channels D* ends up launching in MAY.
All this plays a factor in my decision.
So I guess , None of the above would be my answer,
Or I'll go with 3 non DVRs and use EHD.

I dropped down from AEP, no real reason now to have it now, I save a bit and maybe Dish sees a mass subscriber loss from AEP revenue??

I said this same thing in the updated price increase thread. IF you have multiple duo tuner dvrs on your account , drop them off or trade them in for 211k receivers . Then pay the one time $39.99 software upgrade fee and turn them into dvrs . Drop down to any programming pack like top 250/200/120 and get yourself a NETFLIX account and you can pay only $9.99 to watch movies and or streaming movies in your home. This will offset any increase that Greedy Charlie has in mind and his revenue per sub will go down as well. IF you replace each extra duo tuner dvr on you account after the first , you saved your self $10.00 per extra duo tuner dvr and you extra receivers 211ks will stay at $7.00 . After all , all these made up fees that Charlie has combined ,are charged JUST BECAUSE WE CAN! fees anyway.

I can remember when all you paid was $4.99 for extra receivers after the first. Then it went up to $5.00 for sd and $7.00 for hd . Then there was a time in the early part of this decade, when there were NO Dvr fees at all. AFter everyone was lured into getting a dvr , they lowered the boom and charged the DVR fee PER DVR RECEIVER. Then we hear this year they will only charge ONE dvr fee per account. Just when you think that DISH has seen the light, they screw it up and not only keep the extra dvrs fees per dvr receiver , but they change the name from dvr fee to the A/0 fee , combine it into one non descript equipment fee . So changing the name of the fee didn't make it go away. They also will start charging the tv 2 connection fee on EVERYONE with duo tuner receivers after the first , no matter if you have them plugged into a phone or ethernet connection. A new $5.00 hike right there.

So it seems that DISH and Charlie & company have heard us and took our criticism about DISH being the king of cable like fees , to heart . They will simply combine them ALL into one BIG ASS nondescript FEE and no one will be any wiser. BULLSH*T! So I say off set your programming and drop off the very extra receivers that will incur the highest increases in fees;622/722/722k. Keep one and lose the rest or trade them in on receivers that will stay just $7.00 a month like today. When Charlie sees his average revenue per sub drop down next year, he will see this scheme to rape subs with multiple duo tuner dvrs will have failed. But then again we all know that next year there will BE a programming increase , because when he sees that the revenue dropped this year he will have to hike his programming price to get some of it back.

DISH : A never ending battle to keep your bill low.

Here we go again.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:up :up :up :up :up
Wish there was a box for... "A poll like this is pointless, but we needed an excuse for another thread on Dish's supposed yearly rate hike" now that box I would check. But as for this poll, no vote from me...

I didn't see a category for this:

Will drop Playboy and that sports package that gave me NFL Redzone channel. Don't need either now that season is over and I never watched PB much anyway. Fact is, dropping these has nothing to do with the rate increase as I was planning to do that before the announcement.

I'll go ahead and vote dropping AEP too as that is likely my next step to reduce rates. Again, fact is, that was also on my list for 2010. and this rate increase will just force me to put higher priority on it.

I'll add the Redzone sports package back next season as I really liked that channel!

PS- Bob- Nice Poll!

Looks like so far, the poll shows that 52 subs will either drop programming , drop receivers, and or drop DISH all together. Only 12 subs will stay with DISH and remain happy. That trend doesn't look good for old Charlie in his quest to rake in more fee money a month.

Last edited:
Some of us don't want to 'drop' parts of our service as a solution to these supposed equipment price increases. Yes, the Movie Premiums show many movies/series repeatedly, but I camp on these channels more than anything else. With E*, I have 31 HD Movie Premiums (32 with HBO Latino) that are important to me. And yes, I have two Roku boxes with a Netflix subscription.

Be assured that E*'s finance department has thoroughly reviewed the breakage of revenue lost from people downgrading versus revenue gained from these increases. E* wouldn't be doing this if revenue wasn't going to be a net add.

Finally, there will eventually be a point where there won't be anything left to drop down to, year over year, if 'dropping' things off our accounts is the 'solution' to these increases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts