Poor Quality on Dish TV2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CZH

Original poster
May 27, 2023
AZ
I’m not very savvy when it comes to Dish, but my TV 2 recently became fuzzy. You can see the picture but there are static lines running through it and a high pitched Morse code noise. I’ve tried changing from air to cable output, tried lower and higher numbers. Nothing seems to work. This TV has been fine and can watch TV1 with no interference, but suddenly TV2 is unwatchable. I have a Dish VIP722 box. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the cable is damaged somewhere. The tv2 signal from a 722 acts similar to an over the air antenna signal just as much lower strength. So what that means is a cable can be completely cut but if the ends are still close enough you it will cross the air gap but usually will be fuzzy as you are experiencing. So I would trace your cable down and see if there's damage. If no visible damage then disconnect the connectors a d make sure they aren't corroded.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I’m not very savvy when it comes to Dish, but my TV 2 recently became fuzzy. You can see the picture but there are static lines running through it and a high pitched Morse code noise. I’ve tried changing from air to cable output, tried lower and higher numbers. Nothing seems to work. This TV has been fine and can watch TV1 with no interference, but suddenly TV2 is unwatchable. I have a Dish VIP722 box. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
To me it sounds like some type of external interference on a frequency close to the channel number you have chosen but since it persists with change of channels it may be a faulty oscillator in your receiver or maybe a cable has been damaged allowing stray radiation in.
Check any flourescent or led lights near the cable or receiver, they often emit unwanted RF.

To me it sounds like some type of external interference on a frequency close to the channel number you have chosen but since it persists with change of channels it may be a faulty oscillator in your receiver or maybe a cable has been damaged allowing stray radiation in.
Check any flourescent or led lights near the cable or receiver, they often emit unwanted RF.
What does the the lights show for unwanted RF?

What does the the lights show for unwanted RF?
The voltage altering circuitry in either type (usually cheap Chinese junk) may emit strong RF over very wide frequencies. If it is occurring you may be able to track it down with an AM radio set to an open channel to find the loudest buzz in the house.

Sounds like the cable is damaged somewhere. The tv2 signal from a 722 acts similar to an over the air antenna signal just as much lower strength. So what that means is a cable can be completely cut but if the ends are still close enough you it will cross the air gap but usually will be fuzzy as you are experiencing. So I would trace your cable down and see if there's damage. If no visible damage then disconnect the connectors a d make sure they aren't corroded.
So would I just check or replace all of the coaxial type cables to be sure? I was wondering if it might be a cable since my setup has not changed since it was installed and it previously worked fine

Did you make sure you’re tuned to correct channel? Being one channel off will cause this too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I double checked I was on the right channel. I’ve tried both air and cable channels and picked high and low numbers. When I’m not on the right channel I get snow but I still get the same crappy picture and high pitched noise when I change to the newly selected channel

I can double check, but I haven’t added new fluorescent or led around my receiver since it was installed

So would I just check or replace all of the coaxial type cables to be sure? I was wondering if it might be a cable since my setup has not changed since it was installed and it previously worked fine
Need to be checking the cable from the back of tv all the way to the diplexor vhf/uhf port. Looking for any damage along the way. Looking for cuts, scrapes, screws or staples puncturing the cable, etc..

Need to be checking the cable from the back of tv all the way to the diplexor vhf/uhf port. Looking for any damage along the way. Looking for cuts, scrapes, screws or staples puncturing the cable, etc..
Would you recommend changing the cables from the diplexor to the receiver as well?

I’ll try replacing the cable from the outlet to the diplexor and hopefully that helps. Thank you!
Can you "throw down" a temporary cable? Just let it lay on the floor and see if a new cable fixes the problem. If it does, then you know you need to replace the cable. If it doesn't, then it's another issue (either the source or the receiver).

Can you "throw down" a temporary cable? Just let it lay on the floor and see if a new cable fixes the problem. If it does, then you know you need to replace the cable. If it doesn't, then it's another issue (either the source or the receiver).
And to expand on that, go from the back of the TV to straight to the receiver and plug it into the yellow HVN port. If that gives you a clear picture, then take that and connect it to the UHFVHF on the diplexer. It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp of how this stuff works and how that will help you isolate where the problem is

And to expand on that, go from the back of the TV to straight to the receiver and plug it into the yellow HVN port. If that gives you a clear picture, then take that and connect it to the UHFVHF on the diplexer. It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp of how this stuff works and how that will help you isolate where the problem is
My TV2 is pretty far away and I don’t have a cable long enough.
I wouldn’t be able to do a temporary one, TV 2 is too far away from the receiver. I was wondering, would a cable issue only mess up one tv? TV1 works and looks fine, it’s only TV2. If it was a cable wouldn’t both be getting interference and have poor pictures?

My TV2 is pretty far away and I don’t have a cable long enough.

I wouldn’t be able to do a temporary one, TV 2 is too far away from the receiver. I was wondering, would a cable issue only mess up one tv? TV1 works and looks fine, it’s only TV2. If it was a cable wouldn’t both be getting interference and have poor pictures?
Can you move TV2 (temporarily of course) close enough for your longest cable to reach? The issue is finding out what the problem is. Length of cable DOES factor in, so connecting a 6' cable probably won't tell you much.

If you don't have a cable long enough, how would you replace the cable permanently?

Can you move TV2 (temporarily of course) close enough for your longest cable to reach? The issue is finding out what the problem is. Length of cable DOES factor in, so connecting a 6' cable probably won't tell you much.

If you don't have a cable long enough, how would you replace the cable permanently?
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought it was suggested to replace or check the cables from the cable outlet to the receiver. The only cable tv2 is connected to is the cable outlet in the same room as tv2

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought it was suggested to replace or check the cables from the cable outlet to the receiver. The only cable tv2 is connected to is the cable outlet in the same room as tv2

I think the idea is to take the cable run from the receiver out of the equation in case it's bad. I found the post you're responding to confusing as well because if length of cable were the issue you'd have been having issues all along. But using a different cable to determine if the actual cable between the receiver and TV2 is the issue is a valid troubleshooting step. So, if you can move the TV close enough to test with a different cable I think that would be a valuable test.

I think the idea is to take the cable run from the receiver out of the equation in case it's bad. I found the post you're responding to confusing as well because if length of cable were the issue you'd have been having issues all along. But using a different cable to determine if the actual cable between the receiver and TV2 is the issue is a valid troubleshooting step. So, if you can move the TV close enough to test with a different cable I think that would be a valuable test.
I was also wondering, if I can get tv1 on tv2 just fine, would it still be a cable issue? Right now tv1 is air 60, tv2 air 62 (I changed it back to what it was after I messed around with it) if I change tv2 to 60, the picture and sound are normal and clear. It’s only when it’s tuned to 62 or whatever channel I set the receiver for tv2 where the picture and audio are messed up