Poormans AT9 Possible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bmh2208

Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Might be a stupid question but......

IS there a way to come up with a AT9 equivalent by using a P3 dish combined via a switch with a Ka-band dish?

After googling for a while, all I could come up with for a Ka-band dish are ones used by Vsat companies. Direcway has a new one out that is Ka, but I'm sure it's pretty expensive. Anyone know of a older dish (ie cheaper) that can be had that receives Ka-band.

Why? For the fun. Kinda reminded me of the poormans Dish* dish posted awhile back. Plus, given the fact that the AT9 won't be available in retail stores for awhile, and who knows how my solidsignal will sell them for, it might be the easiest way to get the H20 the needed signals. We only need to get the 103 satellite for those of us in the top 12.

Oh yeah....I can't simply get one installed since I don't actually "live" in Houston. That would require an install-deinstall-reinstall. That might be worth the challenge though.

Cheers.

I seriously doubt you could hack together something with the corect signal stacking for the receiver to pick up. Also all of the channels on SW1 may be spotbeamed so that even if you had a dish there would be no signal coming your way. I am suprised that nobody has taken a Detroit dish cross country yet to see what happens.

Surplus Ka specific dishes are a rare commodity and I have never seen an off the shelf Ka LNB with the same output IF that D* uses on the AT9. Some day these will be ho-hum throw away items but right now the AT9 seems to be cutting edge stuff. Has anyone else even seen another Ka dish for consumer use?
Bob

Yeah I understand the spotbeam stuff. I am about 50miles north of Htown, so I should be able to pick it up right? Thats not too bad of a price at SS. Do you think they will start shipping to Houston when they go live? How are they at keeping stock on this stuff?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)