Popcorn Hour BD network playback

Well if that is the case then I will pass on this box. I can stream from my home computer over the network and just play it through my Blu-ray player.
None of these players can replace a computer in terms of functionality, only in terms of simplicity.
But if you have more TVs than players (whether PCs on networked BD player),
getting such standalone network player is preferable to other options.

I'd still go with a cheaper device without an optical drive and DRM support...

Diogen.

Between xbox 360 and PS3 I, too had ways to stream "video" over my LAN but these devices require specific formats and none work from iso's -plus these all have limited HD capacity. I also was pleased to see a way to play 3D You Tube, easier in my Home theater.

Now if we can get the cost down able bit lower in these bluray capable streamers it would be awesome.

As an FYI AnyDVD HD topping to files works fine and I can rip only the feature saving some space.. . And I don't have to watch the annoying upfront ads that are shoved down our throats. Disney seems to be the worst offender in this regard.

Swyped on my Nook color using Tapatalk Pro

John- agree on the price- We're, once again paying for technology more than the hardware cost. By the looks of what's inside this PCH box could sell for $39 once the R&D is amortized. There certainly isn't any advertising costs.

I too can do without the coming attractions but I like the extra features, such as alternate endings, deleted scenes and in a few cases director's commentary. e.g. I listened to each of the Star Wars commentaries as the development of the story to film is quite interesting to me. It's actually fun listening to the Star Wars know it all's who think they understand certain developments in the story are often misinformed altogether. I like getting the scoop from the source in his own words. :)

PS- Happy Birthday!

Update and good news!

read the PCH thread over at AVS Forum and saw many were experimenting with installing a hack on the firmware to achieve the full BD view, then a member posted I needed to look into the cd and DVD settings and switch off BD Lite. Actually that wasn't the selection but it got me into the right place to fix it. It was default to "file selection" I switched it to "Full Navigation" and that simple change allows me to have the full BD menu structure when I select the iso file.

There are other choices that I haven't yet tested-
File View is default
Simple BD only
AVCHD + Simple BD
Full Navigation
Prompt

Somewhere along the way I got the impression that the iso file appears just like the BD in a bluray player with all the menus and extra features as they are contained in the iso package. Is there a special way to play these files to get that? Earlier when I played the iso across the network just the main movie played with no menu options.

Glad to see you got it working.

Update and good news!

read the PCH thread over at AVS Forum and saw many were experimenting with installing a hack on the firmware to achieve the full BD view, then a member posted I needed to look into the cd and DVD settings and switch off BD Lite. Actually that wasn't the selection but it got me into the right place to fix it. It was default to "file selection" I switched it to "Full Navigation" and that simple change allows me to have the full BD menu structure when I select the iso file.

There are other choices that I haven't yet tested-
File View is default
Simple BD only
AVCHD + Simple BD
Full Navigation
Prompt

So can you add an internal HDD to the one you have, or only external?

Also what is the real difference between these machines?

Popcorn Hour A-210
Popcorn Hour A-200
Popcorn Hour C-200

I believe he added one, my 200 has the room for a full size, but I had a laptop HDD laying around so installed it ... I took some screen caps with my Hauppauge from my 200's menus the other day but they came out 720p and wrong format(first time I have ever hooked anything up thru Component, probably setting I missed)there are a lot of options ...

Attachments

• Menu.JPG
    Menu.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Audio  Video.JPG
    Audio Video.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 98
The A-210 has a single drive bay to add either a 2.5" or 3.5" form factor hard drive. There are some hoops to jump through, I understand, to format a > 2Tb drive but it can be done on a computer. YOYO on that but for Popcorn Hour supported formatting a 2Tb drive will work well and is what I have. I bought a Seagate $75 5900 RPM drive and it is cool and quiet. 7200 RPM may seem more robust but present day prices are about $129 and they run hotter and noisier. In addition to the internal you can add USB 2.0 drives as needed and or USB memory sticks.

The A200 is an older model and I'm not sure what the particular differences are. They said they are sold out of the A200 now but you may find some for cheap if you shop around. I think dfergie has the A200.

The C-series has a bay to add a BD ROM drive in addition to the hard drive.

You can get more details on their website.

I bought mine from Amazon as I saved the shipping charges on Amazon Prime.

Last evening I tested more 3D files. The files I rendered to iso using Vegas Pro format for Blu Ray burning does not work. The image looks reversed but it is not. It just doesn't sync. I then tested my full frame SBS renderings of 3D and the picture looked great in 3D. Of course this mode does not offer auto switch between 2D and 3D so a manual setup on the monitor is a must ( same with You Tube 3D ) Consequently, at this time I cannot say the PCH can play a 3D BD ripped to an iso file. I have only tested my own 3D BD productions as I have no way to test iso from a copy protected disk.

My A200 has a plastic case that you have to open to add the drive, it formatted the internal on it's own when I went to the app's screen. I like the youtube interface and have barely scratched the surface on the others, I have tried to get NMT and YAMJ going but need to hardwire, might try moving it to my 3D room to play with some more as it is hardwired to my network...

Don- I have tried a few of the apps ( BTW- they are all free... so far) The YouTube works well but I wish it could save my channel as my home launch. It may but I don't know how yet.

The Revision3 doesn't work well as the video is blanked out by the launch screen and needs to be fixed ( bug report on the way)
TWIT works very well although the video quality is not as good as on my ipad.
Tried to test a few others but had lack luster experience. When I find a good one I'll post opinion here.

This morning I just figured out how to get the NMJ working and it is fantastic! On properly named title files the DOS looking menu of content is transformed to a high quality GUI using IMDB as a source. The folder structure is tricky to do as you need to replicate what appears on the DVD to make it work and then it has to have a resource of info online. Consequently, none of my own productions are in the Hollywood category and therefore not on IMDB.

I guess I'm going to need to find a good DVD ripper to get full use of the NMJ. This seems to cross the line from legal to legal threat gray area, however.

I love the Network Movie Jukebox feature. It is really the only interface that I use. I have 2 separate juke boxes (NASes), one for movies and one for TV series, all ripped from BD (or HDDVD).

Mike- when you have an incorrect title in your NMJ it won't find the details for the GUI and you just get a blank graphic with text title a little film can image. So I correct the title in the main listing but it never updates the NMJ database. I've tried to reset the PCH and it still will not update. Finally figured out how to update one title at a time inside NMJ edit Gui and this worked but it is very slow going. Is there a place I can force NMJ to rescan my listings with the corrected titles?

Well I use a .nfo file with the imdb entry in it when I have trouble with IMDB.

Star Wars A New Hope.nfo contains:

Code:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/

I use the old third party NMJ application. Not the new one that is is built in now. But, I wonder if you make a .nfo it will see that the date changed on the file and do a refresh. I actually use YANMJ moviejukebox - Generates an HTML jukebox for your network media center movies library - Google Project Hosting

A project one day will be to change to use the one that is built in. The .nfo file can contain a lot of stuff. Like here is one I used for a ripped HDDVD of Star Trek season 1. The ID is from thetvdb.com and it goes there and pulls the info.

Code:
<tvshow>
	<id>77526</id>
	<videooutput>1080p 24</videooutput>
	<videosource>HDDVD</videosource>
	<fileinfo>
		<streamdetails>
			<video>
				<codec>H.264</codec>
				<aspect>4:3</aspect>
				<width>1920</width>
				<height>1080</height>
			</video>
			<audio>
				<codec>AC3</codec>
				<language>English</language>
				<channels>5.1</channels>
			</audio>
		</streamdetails>
	</fileinfo>
</tvshow>

Looking for an HDTV

Long RCA Composite Audio run from Receiver to Stereo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts