Popcorn Hour BD network playback

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
I ordered one of the A-210's from Amazon yesterday.

Can you use this without putting a HDD in it?

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
You should put in a 4Gb minimum memory stick in the USB slot to store your apps and configurations. But it will work as a "converter" like device to just grab your files on your server public folder and watch them on TV.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Ramy- the PCB in the A210 has an edge connector that allows you to plug the SATA drive into so there are no cables. Drives are so cheap these days. 2Tb for $75. 500Gb for $45. 8Gb Kingston thumb drive is $8. When you stream the HD videos across your LAN, you will hog it's bandwidth. I felt it is better to use the LAN to transfer the iso files and then just view locally. This way you have plenty of speed off the hard drive to your monitor. I had 800Gb of videos here that I have now cleaned off my computer work drive. The PCH with internal 2Tb is working out fantastic for my needs. I'll still play the BluRay disks but for my own productions, the PCH is exactly what I needed.

Ramy

Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
I have a 3TB drive I guess I will put in there instead of my computer then.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Lots of trouble reports using 3Tb drives. Seems the ext3 format limit is about 2.1 Tb but if you don't mind sacrificing the capacity then it doesn't matter. Some have reported success with formatting on NTFS on a computer first and then mounting it as a USB 2.0 drive on the PCH Plus using a 8Gb Thumb drive for the apps. If you want internal connection the PCH OS limit is ext3 format on the A210 and then 2Tb size limit. I did quite a bit of reading on this and decided the easiest and lowest cost was the Seagate 5900 RPM 2Tb drive. ($75) The idea here is the 7200RPM is more expensive ($129) and the Green variable speed drives higher yet!. 5900 works fine for HD media throughput with high bandwidth audio and the drive runs much quieter and much less heat. The PCH barely gets warm with the 5900 RPM drive. Green is even cooler but reported slower speed up and much more expensive. I've always joked- Going with a 'Greenpiece' is for rich kids with trust funds. :D

In the long run you may find sticking that 3Tb drive in one of those network drive bays a better use for it, or, adding it to the PCH in USB later as needs arise. Running a drive in a computer and keeping the whole computer on 24-7 for a home server use is higher electric bill. Most likely, when you are "computing" you don't use that much HD capacity. It is purchased for media storage right? Unless you need to access that storage from many locations, using PCH local storage may be the most efficient way. Even if you have two locations, a second PCH with thumb drive can then access the media on the other PCH. I have two locations here but they are Home theater and Edit room/office. In the edit room I have a PC anyway so I can play the video stored on the PCH HD from the computer. Pretty cool!

Ramy

Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
I have a 500 gig that I could swap out of my computer and put into the PCH and just stream any other media I put on the 2 3TB drives.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Now that you guys have been goofing with this, a few questions and thoughts for proper setup:

My plan would be to get the 210
Buy AnyDVD HD
Buy a Blu-ray external drive to use with my laptop
Buy a 2TB external HDD

Im thinking Id install the 210 in my ent center running thru my Denon AVR, just like a BR player. Id use the external blu drive and my laptop to rip iso's from my blu's, then transfer these to the EHD. The EHD would be accessible underneath the ent center in a cool area via cable. This way, any time I want to add a movie, I can just slide it out, plug my laptop in, make the transfer, and then reconnect it to the 210.

Does this process sound right? I could go internal, but think Id prefer EHD for ease after one fills up.

210 $199
ASUS External Blu-Ray Drive Reads 6X BD-ROM/R/RE $120
Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 $95
AnyDVD HD $86

Missing anything? Any input on PQ output from the PH? Would you be happy with watching a movie on it as opposed to a standalone, or no difference?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Gotcha. So either way work for HD audio playback as well. I dont see a real reason to spend the $100 more on a 200, unless the full menus is a big deal. As long as I can select play, and make sure HD audio stream is selected, dont care much past that.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Nevermind, Im most of the way thru the AVS thread and see where the A series has good menus too.

Don,

When you say "files", what type of file are you ripping the movie too? (Im behind in this arena) My main concern would be ripped to full audio and video quality, no care on what type.

I see where they added colorspace settings. As far as audio, does the device bitstream it like a blu player? Could you rip a calibration disc to check tv settings for brightness, etc...

Looking for an HDTV

Long RCA Composite Audio run from Receiver to Stereo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts