Popcorn Hour BD network playback

I have the Oppo 93 and the upgrade to play network content was just offered. It does work but I found the interface slow compared to the PCH. But I only tried the Oppo with network content and the PCH has the local HD so the test was hardly fare.

Does the Oppo have the same network playback capabilities as the PCH, i.e. Bluray iso / directory structure, FLAC, FLAC surround?

That's why I like the Dune player I use... It does just about everything the Oppo does, except SA-CD.

So, Asus came in and Im trying it, slim little Blu drive and its powered off the laptop, nice.

I stuck the Blu in, right clicked on the AnyDVD HD icon and chose "Rip to Image". It's putting the named ISO on my desktop, I assume I did it right. I also did not check the "keep blu-ray protection" slot. Sound right?

Getting about 14 mb/s with this Asus drive.

BD93 as a streaming network player:

I have the latest update on my Oppo 93 and it does not play BD iso's. In fact, it doesn't even recognize the file extension. Neither does it play SD DVD iso's. That linked FAQ is full of errors according to what my BD-93 does. Maybe it works on a different OPPO model but not on the 93.

3D is supported if in SBS and on recognized file formats like wmv and avi but not iso or m2ts.

Audio seems like mono, not even stereo. No sound pass through like the PCH.

Last edited:
Are you over network?

I know it seems to only work well with direct connection. I have seen plenty of folks playing ISO and other files off a HDD at AVS.

Jason- do you mean USB 2.0 drives when you say "direct connect?" I have not tried an iso file on a USB drive and plugged that into the OPPO. I have tested it off of the drive connected to a local ethernet switch, the same switch that the OPPO is plugged into as well as from a computer plugged into a different switch but on the same router in a different room. The file recognition ( and non-recognition) is the same. I have a spare USB drive and will try to connect it to the OPPO tonight and let you know. I've never connected a USB drive to the OPPO before.

Oh, the OPPO 93 also sees the PCH internal drive content too but all the files that aren't seen over the LAN drives also are missing

There must be something we're missing, like maybe the OPPO is a different model but the FAQ ( unofficial) referenced is just inaccurate based on what I am seeing on mine. Time to look for the "official" FAQ.

Well, if it shows up and plays with USB drive and not a network drive then I would not call that a bug but rather a feature that is not supported by OPPO. What I'm saying is the FAQ indicates a number of files, not just iso, that are supported and I don't even see them. It's like they are hidden. I'll test the USB drive out tonight.

People are playing ISO and other files off their network, just some have it work and some it does not work well or at all. Everyone basically said to use a direct connected thumbdrive or HDD.

Pretty cool. I have one concern though. Storing ISO's on HDD's is a risky gamble, no? I mean what do you do when a 2tB drive fails with 60 movies on it? Wouldn't making copies vis BD-R make more sense long term? I know it's not as easy because you have all these xtra discs and have to manually put them in, but...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)