Popcornflix & Pluto TV might be worth a look (new content..free)

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
Just checking out this channel on my Roku. Had it for awhile, been a long time since I looked at it. They have added IMO some decent tv shows, movies, and even sporting events. It's free to watch with some ads, 99 cents ad free. Might be worth checking out for some fresh content. Also, Pluto TV has added sports channels for live events, and on demand movies for free along with some new channels similar to HGTV content and some movie channels, kinda like a "movieplex" experience. 2 different movie channels playing newer themed movies on 2 different channels. Just a suggestion. Plus neither service costs anything unless you want ad free on Popcornflix for 99 cents. Maybe you'll like it, or not, but at least worth a look.

Reactions: DWS44
Stadium is part of Pluto TV now, and airs college football and other sports.

I'm sure I'd find plenty to watch on these 100% free channels, but between PS Vue, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, I've got more than enough - and all commercial free.

With that said, my favorite 100% free channel on Roku is the CBS News channel, as I'm able to get live news headlines at times of day the other major cable news networks are airing opinion, pundits, or reality TV shows.

Reactions: andy_horton

I'm sure I'd find plenty to watch on these 100% free channels, but between PS Vue, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, I've got more than enough - and all commercial free.

With that said, my favorite 100% free channel on Roku is the CBS News channel, as I'm able to get live news headlines at times of day the other major cable news networks are airing opinion, pundits, or reality TV shows.

CBSN is on Pluto as well as CNBC and MSNBC. I'd like MeTv and some of the other digital subchannel nets to have apps.

Reactions: andy_horton
Yes my Nvidia Shield shows it as 2160p.
But, does your Shield output anything other than 2160p? My Roku Ultra, when set to 4K HDR will output only 2160 no matter what the source is. My Vizio, under the newest firmware, shows 720p... That is using the new cloud based apps. I'm going to try the Vizio tablet based apps, casted, today.

CBSN is on Pluto as well as CNBC and MSNBC. I'd like MeTv and some of the other digital subchannel nets to have apps.
I forgot CBSN was on Pluto as well. Unfortunately MSNBC and CNBC aren't live programming streams, just replays of prior days' shows. Regardless, Pluto still offers quick easy access to online streaming content and podcasts that I wouldn't bother sitting on my computer to watch or download a unique app for on my media streamers. I just wish I could search ahead in the guide and record. I wouldn't be surprised if that gets added at some point
for a subscription tier.

But, does your Shield output anything other than 2160p? My Roku Ultra, when set to 4K HDR will output only 2160 no matter what the source is. My Vizio, under the newest firmware, shows 720p... That is using the new cloud based apps. I'm going to try the Vizio tablet based apps, casted, today.
I just tested the Vizio tablet side and Pluto was 720p there as well. I get Netflix and Vudu to go to 2160p from my Vizio direct, via Vizio tablet, and Roku (this is real 4k). I'm going to say Pluto 4K is outputting 720p max...

My Fire TV is set to 4K when available, I get everything except HDR. Pluto does not seem to remember where I stopped a movie, so I have to start over next time I want to resume.
Dan

CBSN is one of my favs. Also get it on my Roku. Funny, I don't remember downloading the app on Roku. Do they add channels automatically? Maybe I just forgot I added it but I've seen a couple of others like Nick Jr added & I don't have kids. Maybe I'm just getting too old!!?? Lol

When I set up my new Roku in June, it auto-added channels that were on my first-gen Roku. It also preloaded a few that had special buttons on the remote, but CBSN wasn't among them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)