Portable setup for fish house

Status
Please reply by conversation.

A4ceone

Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
Mn
Hi,
Just signed up after searching a bunch of posts. What I am looking for is advise on setting up a direct tv receiver and dish for my ice house on wheels this winter.
I have a h24-100 receiver and am not sure what dish to buy. From what I've read I can use old 18" but will only get sd channels and will need to make some receiver setting changes. I would like to go with an hd dish but want to make sure I get only what I need for easiest setup. Also when aligning dish will I need to get 119,110,101, &129, I live in mn. I would buy meter if needed.

Thanks for your help

:welcome to Satelliteguys A4ceone!

If you want hd channels you need a Slimline. You can use a sl3 lnb which gets 99, 101, and 103. You will need a bbc, too. A meter isn't necessary, you can use the signal meter in the receiver. Set it up at home first to get the hang of it before you use it in the field. If you need help, come on back and we can likely help you out. Good luck!

This is a new one!

Do not attempt to dig a hole in the ice and set a pole in concrete! Couldn't resist that one. But you will need some plan to mount the dish. Then there is the power requirement........extension cord or generator?

Report how it goes,plz.

Joe

DogTV..... what next FishTV??... couldn't resist!

In AZ you can't understand this. It is a serious request for assistance. Our brother, A4ceone, out in MN gets winters so severe the beer freezes solid and you can't use the "going fishing" excuse to get outa da house. They build sheds and shacks out on the frozen rivers and lakes to keep their beer from freezing. Then they can catch enough fish to prove they were not just sitting in some bar with their no good buddies waiting to go fishing in the spring. This is like tailgating but with more devotion to duty required. TV in the ice fishing rig is above and beyond what most would attempt. We gotta give support!

Joe

Welcome :wave: from another Minnesotan (and an ice fisherdude)

You can go with a slimline 3 (99/101/103) as most local markets are in HD. I'd go with an older one (that has 4 outputs) so you dont need a SWM power. The one thing though is when you put it on the house if you move the house you have to make sure the house is oriented so that you can aim it.

I've seen plenty of 18" dishes on old TV rotors here on Mille Lacs. Then they can move it rather easily

Attachments

• PICT0162.JPG
    PICT0162.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 256
Don't forget the bbc if you don't go with the swm setup.

Then there is the power requirement........extension cord or generator?

most of us use a simple AC/DC inverter and have a cable with battery clamps on it....we hook it up to the truck battery. Every couple hours or so go start the truck to recharge the battery

Lots of folks have TV's and satellite in their fish houses. This isnt a simple collapsible fish house. The ones here are better than some houses :)

I think I want to see pics of this fish house. I'm a desert dweller but I'm interested.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I must say, that dish on a rotor was a completely new idea to me.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

most of us use a simple AC/DC inverter and have a cable with battery clamps on it....we hook it up to the truck battery. Every couple hours or so go start the truck to recharge the battery

Hmmmmm!
Trucks on the ice....hadn't considered that. There is a feature you might use and that is a dual battery system. With the installation of the two BIG batteries you get a switch that can be set to I II NONE or BOTH. The BOTH allows running stuff like snow plow controls or hydraulic pumps while driving and will keep both systems charged. With that I bet there is a way to monitor bat level & start the motor for recharges. Or you can use a timer and throw the low man out the door to run up the bat.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)