Positioner question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

janz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Southern Ontario
"The positioner can accept DiSEqC 1.2 commands from a satellite receiver. Controls and displays position.”
My question is:
Can we stack in the serial configuration (looking at coax cable) positioner and HH motor and control motor and actuator at the some time?

The idea is to add actuator to the main HH motor. Actuator will be making optionaly slight adjustments to the dish elevation.

I am not sure if I am the only one but it is the second year in the row when in the second half of the winter my dish is starting to provide weaker signal. It loses precision of the original setup.

If it is possible to avoid winter dish adjustments and get perfect reception I am ready to spend about $200 on it.
Did anybody try described above or similar solution?

--Jan

two, Two, TWO motors in one !

Your question was a little unclear.
Were you looking for something like this?
It's a mount with two motors, sold in Europe, to track some of their birds which are in inclined orbits.
I haven't seen anyone use one in North America, but that doesn't mean no one has. ;)

You could use a Vbox (with its own remote control) to fine-adjust the elevation, I suppose.
Not sure how to control it automatically.

Thanks for the response.
Sorry for the unclear description.
Yes the link you provided points to the solution close to my concept.

As I understand from the positioners descriptions it is possible to switch DiSEqC positioner sending signals from the standard dvb satellite receiver by the coax cable. The posioner remembers satellites positions and receiver selects them using positioner.

The question is: can we connect one DiSEqC positioners and one DiSEqC motor to one coax cable in series?
I think it will work if:
1. the communication is not bidirectional
2. the positioner is passing the DiSEqC signal further on the coax cable
3. there are not serious restrictions on the current on the positioner coax output

Am I making any mistake in my assumptions?
Would it work?

Thanks
--Jan

Last edited:
The question is: can we connect one DiSEqC positioners and one DiSEqC motor to one coax cable in series?
If your positioner is USALS compliant (SG-2100), it might be possible to split the coax with an Ecoda switch or even a diseqc switch, and have USALS go out one side or port, and install an acuator using a GBox to control it on the other side using diseqc 1.2 commands.

Understand though that the specs on the SG-2100 say that the power goes to the motor and then to the diseqc switch. (I think, if I remember correctly)

I have currently a setup with an sg2100 using usals, then connected to a diseqc switch, then port 4 of the diseqc switch going to another motor using diseqc 1.2 commands. It works just fine that way (I thought the diseqc commands would not make it through to the 2nd motor, but they do)

I have another setup that is close to the reverse - it goes through a 1.2 diseqc positioner box, then to the sg2100 using usals, then to to a diseqc switch.

Thanks a lot for the answers!
It makes me confident that my assumptions are right.
What is the model of the positioner box you are using?
Thanks

--Jan

I use the VBOXII for my positioners, I should get a newer one, to see how/if they behave any differently

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)