Possible cause of Smiths choking death

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to change how I eat as well. My cholesterol is at 240, with my HDL being 41. I'm worried right now because my liver enzymes came back high, and they took more blood yesterday to run more tests. I really hope they come back normal, as I fear dying of anything. :(

Man I hope that your able to get things turned around soon, I cant really give you advice on your health but I can tell you that with the better eating that I did for just that little while I did notice a considerable diference in how I felt both physicaly and mentaly. My wife to had been eating better while we were apart and since we have moved into our current home we have resorted to eating simple and easy to prepare stuff wich means crap basicly prepackaged foods. I think that the only thing that has been made from scratch since we moved in has been the fried apple pancakes and the mandarin orange and cranberry pancakes that I made for breakfast a few weeks ago.

No doubt in my mind that many Americans like me are setting themselves up for problems with reflux by eating a "convenient" diet of prepared junk. Losing weight is a step in the right direction, puts less pressure on the gullet that otherwise is wanting to expell the excess load by any means available, like reflux.

Keep in mind, a lot of reflux, such as mine, is caused by a defective valve above the stomach (GERD). Doesn't matter what is eaten, there will be reflux sometimes, and in some cases, spasms in the chest where you cannot swallow and have a blocked passage from the last bit of food. "...Gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) does not close properly and stomach contents leak back, or reflux, into the esophagus. The LES is a ring of muscle at the bottom of the esophagus that acts like a valve between the esophagus and stomach. ..." The surgery does not have a high success rate.

Isn't this a lovely topic?

Anyway, if the calories and carbs aren't enough, read the sodium levels on that pre packaged food. I am astounded at how much is around 1200!

Good point. In my case, I am rarely surprised about an event, i.e., I can always think back to a "sin" the day before and I forgot the preventive measure. Sleeping on my back (flat) also brings it on (if I'm not protected), so I rarely do that. Maybe that's GERD...?

Could be. If it happens several times a week, and at least once a month you get a spasm where your chest/throat is seized up and you can't swallow, and maybe some thick yellow stuff comes up and out, and it takes several minutes to calm down.

Not to disgust, but getting on the pills has really, really helped me.

No, not my situation (fortunately). Never had any problems swallowing, I just get the situation where the reflux is partially inhaled and I can't breathe for maybe 20-30 secs. (seems like minutes when it's happening!) as the old glottis closes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)