Possible DLP TV Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
My wife and I have noticed the past week or so that whenever we turn on our 57" DLP TV it will display a message saying "Possible power loss, please check the date/time settings.". It does take the bulb a bit to warm up too. It used to not be like this.

It's a Mitsubishi 57" DLP we bought brand new in early 2007. The bulb is has been replaced several times over the years and is still good. Everything is clean regarding dust as we try to keep it dust free as much as possible.

It's a model WD-57731.

Could one of the circuit boards be starting to go on it?

More likely there is a mercury or lithium battery that has failed and is not holding the clock time. Typical 5 year lifetime at that vintage. Personally, I would put up with the minor annoyance.

Any way to change it out?

Trust me I don't want to buy a new TV any time soon. I told her when we bought it that I wanted it get at least 10 years out of it. It's been 6 so far.

10 is a long time for a DLP. But then, I've got 8 on my LCoS. I assume your DLP does not have a color wheel.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Generally the battery is not a service item. Soldered onto the board. You would need the service manual to find it and soldering skills to replace it.

I would hope I could get 10 years out of this TV. It was over $2,000 to begin with!

Is there a fast on setting, and do you use it? If not, try setting that to on. You would waste a bit of power, but there is a chance that power would remain applied to the clock and you would stop getting the message.

Otherwise I would just stop using and worrying about the clock.

My wife and I have noticed the past week or so that whenever we turn on our 57" DLP TV it will display a message saying "Possible power loss, please check the date/time settings."

does it stay on the screen ?

have a 06 model going to get 10 years or more out of it.
i'll be gone first most likely.:rip:

That message says on until I switch our remote to TV mode and press the select button (Directv remote).

I don't use the clock; my issue with this is that with it not keeping the power on the bulb it takes it a bit each time to warm up when we first turn the TV on. I do have the fast power setting enabled.

That message says on until I switch our remote to TV mode and press the select button (Directv remote).

I don't use the clock; my issue with this is that with it not keeping the power on the bulb it takes it a bit each time to warm up when we first turn the TV on. I do have the fast power setting enabled.
what a extra minute ?
then it plays fine ?
if so would not worry till it stops. know of a good repair shop in your area ? if not good time to look.
good luck

Hmmm. That doesn't sound like the battery if it is shutting down the bulb current as well. Probably repair shop time if yopu want it fixed. (as madmadworld suggests)

Will this issue shorten the life of the bulb?

The closest repair shop is over 50 miles away. :(

10 is a long time for a DLP. But then, I've got 8 on my LCoS. I assume your DLP does not have a color wheel.
LCoS has no moving parts. You change the bulb and keep the ballast alive and your good to go.

This particular Mitsu model has a "six color" wheel. I think you had to get into the commercial gear or high four-figure projectors to find multi-chip DLP.

There's a reason Mitsubishi stepped aside in the consumer TV business.

We've gotten 6-years on our Mits DLP, but it has been our least favorite set and will be replaced next year. My favorite set was our old Mits Diamond CRT RPTV that we had to give away when we moved in 2008 - absolutely loved the picture quality on that set.

I'm at 5 yrs on my mits dlp. 1st lamp lasted 4 yrs. 2nd lamp barely 8months. 3rd one should be here tomorrow. Its still my favorite. Its at my lake house now replacing the LCD that was stolen back in January.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

in Love with DLP 62'' & 72''
62 has over 27,000 hours now......lamp life 18 months to as little as 6 mon.... this year new Light engine and a few other things like new
to each his own you love or hate dlp

LCoS has no moving parts. You change the bulb and keep the ballast alive and your good to go.

This particular Mitsu model has a "six color" wheel. I think you had to get into the commercial gear or high four-figure projectors to find multi-chip DLP.

There's a reason Mitsubishi stepped aside in the consumer TV business.

Yep. Except there are more reports of JVC light engine failure, with no replacements available. Might get MANY more years, especially if I move it to the rec room. I already have a spare bulb, and am getting the "change bulb" notification. I will run it till the bulb actually dies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)