Possible DLP TV Issue

Yep. Except there are more reports of JVC light engine failure, with no replacements available. Might get MANY more years, especially if I move it to the rec room. I already have a spare bulb, and am getting the "change bulb" notification. I will run it till the bulb actually dies.

I would make sure that spare bulb is good. I had a spare that sat on the shelf for 8 months before I needed it. It was bad when I put it in and was 2 months out of warranty. The dealer just said tough luck so I was out $75 from that place and another $80 from the next place I bought from.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Mine has started to take a minute or two for the bulb to come on, The bulb is probably 8 months old. I also have a white dot in the middle of the set, not sure what that is from. I need to Google it. I am hoping mine will make it to about christmas before I need a new one.

I would make sure that spare bulb is good. I had a spare that sat on the shelf for 8 months before I needed it. It was bad when I put it in and was 2 months out of warranty. The dealer just said tough luck so I was out $75 from that place and another $80 from the next place I bought from.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Oh Joy! My spare is 2-3 years old.

i try to keep a dim lamp around, so when it needs a new one can use it till ups gets new one to me

Good idea.

In light of the above two posts, I think I'll pull and save the current bulb as a spare. Thank you both.

I also have a white dot in the middle of the set, not sure what that is from.
This suggests something on the surface that is reflecting light all the time or a stuck mirror in the DLP chip. Black or white pixels tend to multiply over time.

As it often seems to be the case (probably because they ship a whole lot of consumer TVs), Samsung DLPs appear more likely to suffer this problem.

Note that if you have a high-zoot multi-chip (no color wheel) device, the pixels will be either red, green or blue according to which of the chips is failing.

I Googled high-zoot multi-chip. The only place on the internet that it appears is in this thread.

I Googled high-zoot multi-chip. The only place on the internet that it appears is in this thread.
Some of the more exotic DLP and all of the LCoS TVs used three imaging chips instead of one and a color wheel. Hence the reference to "high-zoot" and "multi-chip" (NOT multiple Raoul5788s).

So what you could have said was an expensive multi-chip. Do you talk like this in real life?

I have a 72" Samsung DLP, purchased in 2008. Already had the light engine and power supply replace under warranty. I had the same white pixel issues, which resulted in the LE replacement. Every once in a while, TV will power cycle itself. Possibly another power supply going bad? Not sure what I'll do if another LE goes bad, now that my warranty is done. I suppose I could just replace the DMD board ( or whatever board is bad ) instead of the entire LE. But may not be worth the money, considering the price of the 70" LED sets out there now.

I have a 72" Samsung DLP, purchased in 2008. Already had the light engine and power supply replace under warranty. I had the same white pixel issues, which resulted in the LE replacement. Every once in a while, TV will power cycle itself. Possibly another power supply going bad? Not sure what I'll do if another LE goes bad, now that my warranty is done. I suppose I could just replace the DMD board ( or whatever board is bad ) instead of the entire LE. But may not be worth the money, considering the price of the 70" LED sets out there now.
Just trash the DLP, and get a plasma. What I did, and will never regret it.

Just trash the DLP, and get a plasma. What I did, and will never regret it.
I'll need something that's comparable in size. Going from a 72 to say a 65" plasma won't cut it. If they did have a 70-73 inch plasma at a reasonable price,
I'd jump on it. I'll hang onto the DLP until it dies. Still provides a great picture. I'll replace a lamp, ballast or power supply if needed. Won't spend the money on an LE replacement.

I have also noticed our DLP set seems to be piping more heat out of the sides than it used to.

dust ? clean fan near lamp any others too
That's what I did, when I replaced my lamp recently. Was quite a bit of dust build up. Seemed to help a little with heat reduction. Not much, but it should help with airflow.

Rats! My beloved Mits has developed 2 white dots and 2 black dots. guess the chip on the light engine is going. Being that its at the lake house, I'm not sure yet whether to replace the chip or get something new. I like having the bigger set out there since someone broke in and stole the LCD I first took out there.

Rats! My beloved Mits has developed 2 white dots and 2 black dots. guess the chip on the light engine is going. Being that its at the lake house, I'm not sure yet whether to replace the chip or get something new. I like having the bigger set out there since someone broke in and stole the LCD I first took out there.

i'd fix it.less likely to be grabbed too

Well my Mitz decided not to come on anymore. Went and bought a LG LED, wanted something for above the fireplace anyway, and the Mitz was just a little too big for that. Got a 50" smart tv and am really enjoying it. I think the Mitz is just the bulb is out, but to get one around takes a week, and so we just went ahead and got the new tv now unstood of around Christmas, gonna fix the Mitz sometime soon and put it in the basement for the kids to play games on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)