Possible E* to D* switcher. Checklist help?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
Ive run through a couple of scenarios as to HOW we could make the switch from E* to D* and I think I've almost got it figured out. If you can bear to read through this and tell me if I'm missing anything and/or answer questions, I would sure appreciate a few more sets of eyes on this....

I think I have resolved issues with going to a DVR that can't handle 3 streams at once. We make pretty heavy use of the DVRs on E* so I wrote down everything we're recording in a spreadsheet and assigned them to either living room or bedroom DVR as though we had D* HD DVRs instead of our E* DVRs. Criteria for assigning was that we could only be recording one thing at a time on a single DVR so that we could still watch live TV.

I only have 2 nights during the week when we'd have to watch the 10 o'clock news on antenna because both DVR tuners are in use in the bedroom DVR. We get good OTA so not a big deal. I'm not going to bother with getting AM21s for teh DVRs because if it doesn't add a third useable recordable stream, I can't see the need. My TVs get great OTA reception. Switch to antenna input on TV and done.

At each TV location (HD DVR location) I have 2 coax and 2 RJ45. 1coax is my antenna, the other is satellite. The satellite coax runs go from the satellite location on the roof, one cable each to 2 existing DVRs. If I place the D* dish where the E* dish currently is, there is enough slack in the cable that they could mount any SWiM or switchgear on the inside of my garage on the back wall just about right under the dish and there's electric power there. House newly rewired. I also have an added ground rod right below the dish location and it is bonded to the main house ground rod. Coax is RG6 quad shield. The main antenna feed goes into the basement where my patch panel is and goes into a 4 port distribution amp and from there out to the TV locations.

The 2 RJ45 are 1 phone and 1 ethernet currently. They run to a patch panel in the basement and I can make them both ethernet, both phone, one of each, simply by moving a patch cable to the correct spot on the panel.

So mechanically, will they be able to replace my E* dish with a D* dish and use the exising cabling pretty much as is? I need a single coax to each DVR and I believe D* can do that now instead of needing 2, correct?

Operational questions:
If my wife is in the bedroom watching a program that was recorded on the living room DVR (using whole house DVR). Can that living room DVR still be recording 1 satellite program AND still allow me to watch live TV (hockey game!) ?

If the bedroom DVR is recording 2 programs already, can we still use it to watch a program that was previously recorded on the living room DVR using the whole house DVR feature? Or is that DVR unit tied up once you are using both tuners?

I'm trying to get a feel for how many different things the HR24 can do at the same time. My understanding is that it can only stream 1 thing at a time over ethernet, either to another receiver/HD DVR or to a computer using a program that allows you to access the DVRs. Does streaming something over ethernet "use up" a tuner? Or is it a separate function?

My current understanding is that while you can see everything that's been DVR'ed on both receivers (using whole house DVR) you still have to set up the recording at each individual receiver. That you can't sit at one receiver (let's say in the living room) and set up recordings on the living room DVR and selectively, the bedroom DVR as well. Correct?

And that being the case, can you go online and schedule recordings? Or use an iPod Touch? And in doing that would you be able to see both DVRs and set up recordings on them?

I'm really close to doing this, especially now that E* has dropped MSG. Sabres hockey is a big deal to me. And unless something happens real soon, I'm going to miss the opener.

Thanks for any info to help me fill in the blanks. I have to know how all this works so I can explain it to the finance department (wife) so there's no surprises later. Or at least as few as possible :)

If my wife is in the bedroom watching a program that was recorded on the living room DVR (using whole house DVR). Can that living room DVR still be recording 1 satellite program AND still allow me to watch live TV (hockey game!) ?

Watching a show from the Living room DVR will not restrict what can be done. You can still record two shows and watch a recorded show on that one DVR while somebody is watching remotely.

If the bedroom DVR is recording 2 programs already, can we still use it to watch a program that was previously recorded on the living room DVR using the whole house DVR feature? Or is that DVR unit tied up once you are using both tuners?

Yes you can watch a recording off of any of your DVR's in this situation with MRV.

I'm trying to get a feel for how many different things the HR24 can do at the same time. My understanding is that it can only stream 1 thing at a time over ethernet, either to another receiver/HD DVR or to a computer using a program that allows you to access the DVRs. Does streaming something over ethernet "use up" a tuner? Or is it a separate function?

No it does not use up a tuner. It is a separate function.

My current understanding is that while you can see everything that's been DVR'ed on both receivers (using whole house DVR) you still have to set up the recording at each individual receiver. That you can't sit at one receiver (let's say in the living room) and set up recordings on the living room DVR and selectively, the bedroom DVR as well. Correct?

You can only do this on non DVR models. If you are on a DVR it will record to that one only. You can setup the remote DVR via the internet or the Directv APP for the iPhone or Android devices.

And that being the case, can you go online and schedule recordings? Or use an iPod Touch? And in doing that would you be able to see both DVRs and set up recordings on them?

Yes you can.

If you are going to use OTA also why not get the AM21. This way you could record OTA stations to the DVR.

If you are going to use OTA also why not get the AM21. This way you could record OTA stations to the DVR.

I can record our locals as provided by D*. Having the ability to record them to the DVR through the AM21 .... I'm just not sure if it's worth it. I guess I don't see what additional advantage it provides.

Would having the AM21 on there allow me to watch OTA while the DVR is tied up recording 2 things off satellite? I realize I wouldn't be able to record from it in that situation, but if I can at least choose an OTA station from the guide, then maybe there's a usability advantage in terms of keeping the operation simple for my wife.

I can record our locals as provided by D*. Having the ability to record them to the DVR through the AM21 .... I'm just not sure if it's worth it. I guess I don't see what additional advantage it provides.

Would having the AM21 on there allow me to watch OTA while the DVR is tied up recording 2 things off satellite? I realize I wouldn't be able to record from it in that situation, but if I can at least choose an OTA station from the guide, then maybe there's a usability advantage in terms of keeping the operation simple for my wife.

Even with the AM21 you can only record two items at the same time. The only thing the AM21 would buy is the ability to record any local channels that Directv does not have in HD (example PBS).

yea.... ok.... well we've never recorded anything off our local PBS station so probably not an issue. I mean I can always add a couple AM21 later on if I need them, right?

I'm more concerned with knowing how everything functions based on how we currently use our E* DVRs. And can I get an install using existing cabling? If teh install is relatively straightforward, and I already have a gigabit network, and LOS looks good for the dish install in the same location as where my E* dish now sits.... then I'm really gaining some whole house DVR functionality AND with D*'s current promo I could be saving as much as $400 the first year. After that the monthly charges would be just a couple dollars under my current E* charges.

So How am I looking on the wiring part? Are they going to need more than 2 coax coming down from the satellite dish location?

That's my big question, does 2 tuner DVRs still need 2 coax runs, or have they assimilated Dish's 1 coax does 2 tuners plus?

If you get a SWiM installation you only need 1 coax to each DVR. The SWiM 8 LNB or switch will support 4 DVR's (8 Tuners) and there is also a SWiM 16. The SWiM 16 must be used with a standard LNB and not a SWiM one. If you only need up to 8 tuners you would be better off just going with the SWiM LNB and that way you only need one wire coming into the house.

So How am I looking on the wiring part? Are they going to need more than 2 coax coming down from the satellite dish location?

All depends. How many tuners will you need. If you need more than 8 then yes they will need more than 2 coax coming down. If only 8 you should be good with 1 wire with using a SWiM LNB.

I just want 2 of the HR24s. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. Both of those locations currently have E* DVRs so the lines are already run. Sounds like I'll be fine for coax.
Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts