Possible MLB Extra Innings Changes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I answered a survey from DirecTV regarding MLB Extra Innings and MLB.TV. The questions were all geared towards the possibility of offering multiple package options for EI including bundling EI with MLB.TV, or purchasing MLB.TV through them and watching MLB.TV through your DVR. They also hinted at prices for the different package options. The current EI package as it is now appears to be dropping in price about about 50%.

I dropped EI and went to MLB.TV because it was a lot less expensive; I was able to have more viewing options; I was able to watch it outside my home; and I was able to watch archived games. Some of the DirecTV EI packages options that were offered in the survey included these options as well.

Hopefully these changes will be taken place

Anyone else hear anything?

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything but it would be great if they bundled the two services like the NBA does.

It is crazy that mlb.tv is half the price of EI, makes no sense at all. Sounds like they are seriously looking at fixing that. Hopefully MLB is just as involved and it's not just Directv. I think the majority of the pricing is controlled by MLB, or significantly influenced anyway.

that would be great! i love watching one game on my tv, and the free game of the day on the mlb.tv

I got that survey too. Wasn't the best organized survey I've ever seen. I think most people would have had a difficult time understanding what they were being asked.

There were pages of different options and prices. On one page you were asked to rate (0 to 10) your interests in purchasing MLB.TV with EI for $319 vs just EI for $199 or just MLB for just $199. Then the next page would offer both for $249 vs MLB for $109 or some subset of EI for $149. The combinations would change, the features would change, the prices would change.

This is all well and good, but they must be expecting their survey takers to be very close readers and careful analysts of their own buying preferences.

Should have added that as a professional statistician, my opinion of the effectiveness of that survey is quite low. Too confusing, too poorly organized. I would not place a high confidence level on the accuracy of the results.

Should have added that as a professional statistician, my opinion of the effectiveness of that survey is quite low. Too confusing, too poorly organized. I would not place a high confidence level on the accuracy of the results.
I noticed that as well. You have to carefully read every option. There were a lot of different variables. Some of the comparisons were repeated in order to compare similar options to other options.

I got that survey too. Wasn't the best organized survey I've ever seen. I think most people would have had a difficult time understanding what they were being asked.

There were pages of different options and prices. On one page you were asked to rate (0 to 10) your interests in purchasing MLB.TV with EI for $319 vs just EI for $199 or just MLB for just $199. Then the next page would offer both for $249 vs MLB for $109 or some subset of EI for $149. The combinations would change, the features would change, the prices would change.

This is all well and good, but they must be expecting their survey takers to be very close readers and careful analysts of their own buying preferences.
I got it too but never got around to filling it out.

Here's a question. How come MLB.com's MLB.TV and Directv's MLB Extra Innings not work together and sign a deal to link the 2 paid subscriptions together so you don't have to pay for both MLB.TV and MLB Extra Innings? Do you see this changing in the future when the new MLB TV contract goes into effect in 2014?

That is what they are considering with the survey that prompted the thread (along with other things).

IF EI's is going to be cut by 50%, I might actually have to try it this year, that would put it under $100 IIRC, that I would consider a fair price for the package.

IF EI's is going to be cut by 50%, I might actually have to try it this year, that would put it under $100 IIRC, that I would consider a fair price for the package.

That would be a decent price and they all need to come down but that is unlikely :)

That would be a good idea plus maybe the division games your team plays in :)

I haven't heard anything but it would be great if they bundled the two services like the NBA does.

It is crazy that mlb.tv is half the price of EI, makes no sense at all. Sounds like they are seriously looking at fixing that. Hopefully MLB is just as involved and it's not just Directv. I think the majority of the pricing is controlled by MLB, or significantly influenced anyway.

Exactly. I am a Dish and MLB.tv subscriber but I have been considering switching to Directv. As long as EI doesn't include MLB.tv and costs significantly more than MLB.tv I would never sign up for it even as a Directv customer though. I don't think EI on it's own would ever do it for me now that I have used MLB.tv even if it was the same price as MLB.tv. I have gotten to used to being able to use it wherever I am. With it EI costing about $100 more for less feeds and features there is no way I would recommend it over MLB.tv unless you don't have a decent internet connection.

I was perfectly happy last season with MLB.tv on my PS3 in my mancave/basement, Apple TV in the living room, and Roku in the bedroom. For the most part I would say that the picture quality on all of the devices in my home was nearly as good as Dish. With a good internet connection you can expect the same quality as Netflix HD.

You also get some feeds that aren't available with EI in HD like spring training, OTA channels, CSN Philly, etc... Basically you get both feeds in HD of every game no matter what channel they come from. I would also use MLB.tv for live radio streaming in my car with my iPhone or live game video away from home on my iPad.

However, if they were to copy NBA League Pass by including both EI and MLB.tv for the price of MLB.tv or up to about $50 more I would sign up in a heartbeat. That would be the best of both worlds. No input switching for flipping between a game on my local RSN and MLB.tv, best picture possible, same DVR, every game feed in HD, plus streaming devices, smartphones, and tablets? Sign me up!

Last edited:
Here is an update for at least the MLB.tv side's pricing for this season. I just logged in to my MLB.tv account to see when the auto renew date is. On this page it says I will be auto renewed on February 28, 2013 at the previous season's premium full yearly price. That price was $114.99. If they really are going to combine MLB.tv and EI into one package like NBA League Pass did it may be somewhere around that price. If that is true it would be a pretty substantial savings for you EI customers.

Most likely they will do it like they did Season Ticket this year though. They will offer EI only for a reduced price and then offer a more expensive package that includes MLB.tv. Maybe some of you will be able to get them to throw in the upgraded package for free. I'm just happy to see that there will be no increase on my MLB.tv premium subscription this year.

Well, I would never let MLB.tv be my source for the games. It always seems to be "buffering" right when there is a big play in game. Too unreliable. I have used it thru Apple TV, Roku, MLB.com, you name it. It is unreliable if you are a hardcore fan.
I have had it since day one several years ago, and I don't think I have ever seen a complete game from start to finish without any kind of interruption. There is always some sort of technical glitch between high internet traffic or their servers. It's good if you are out. But at home on a regular basis, I would not want it.

Reliability probably has to do with your ISP and the speed of your service.

I use it through my PS3 on TWC 50mbs broadband. I seldom to never have buffering issues.

Sent from my iPad 4 using SatelliteGuys

Well, I would never let MLB.tv be my source for the games. It always seems to be "buffering" right when there is a big play in game. Too unreliable. I have used it thru Apple TV, Roku, MLB.com, you name it. It is unreliable if you are a hardcore fan.
I have had it since day one several years ago, and I don't think I have ever seen a complete game from start to finish without any kind of interruption. There is always some sort of technical glitch between high internet traffic or their servers. It's good if you are out. But at home on a regular basis, I would not want it.

And you still buy it ?

Reliability probably has to do with your ISP and the speed of your service.

I use it through my PS3 on TWC 50mbs broadband. I seldom to never have buffering issues.

Sent from my iPad 4 using SatelliteGuys

50mbs ?
For that they should take you TOO the game and you should have the smells of the park and have to catch a foul ball ....

Status
Please reply by conversation.