Possible MLB Extra Innings Changes

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, I would never let MLB.tv be my source for the games. It always seems to be "buffering" right when there is a big play in game. Too unreliable. I have used it thru Apple TV, Roku, MLB.com, you name it. It is unreliable if you are a hardcore fan.
I have had it since day one several years ago, and I don't think I have ever seen a complete game from start to finish without any kind of interruption. There is always some sort of technical glitch between high internet traffic or their servers. It's good if you are out. But at home on a regular basis, I would not want it.

I consider myself a pretty hardcore fan and MLB.tv is great for me. I haven't seen the reliability issues you mention. The device I use it on most is my Apple TV (3rd gen 1080p version). I also use it with a PS3 and Roku in other rooms as well as an iPad. I have 30Mb Charter cable at home.

You don't need a connection that fast for reliable use though. I occasionally use it for day games on a spare computer at work. We only have 6Mb AT&T DSL there and it works fine in HD 95% of the time. Every once in a while it might drop to SD for a minute at work when I use the mosaic (4 games at once) feature but for watching one game it is solid HD.

I would say it is every bit as solid as Netflix and Amazon Prime.

But people, the PQ is a mess on MLB.TV.. Just kidding of course.. Last season I thought it was pretty incredible to be perfectly honest. Other sites tell me the PQ is pretty unwatchable though. I'm also told this(by the same people) about NHL GamecenterLive and the EDM@VAN HD on that service looked pretty incredible on my plasma a few nights back as well.

I'm also curious how the DirecTV version of Extra Innings handles this though. I personally don't think they will give it to consumers as D* seems pretty against streaming services for the most part. Their handling of the NFL package on PS3 seems pretty shoddy and It almost seems like they offer it because someone forced their hand on the issue. It seems like they don't care to fix it's obvious issues. MLB.TV is a different beast though so I'm sure it will be quite different if they decide to offer access to the service.

Last edited:
I'm also curious how the DirecTV version of Extra Innings handles this though. I personally don't think they will give it to consumers as D* seems pretty against streaming services for the most part. Their handling of the NFL package on PS3 seems pretty shoddy and It almost seems like they offer it because someone forced their hand on the issue. It seems like they don't care to fix it's obvious issues. MLB.TV is a different beast though so I'm sure it will be quite different if they decide to offer access to the service.

I don't think it's Directv's call whether or not to offer the streaming as part of the package. It would be the league's decision. Directv does not provide the streaming service. You get access to the NBA's online streaming if you subscribe to League Pass. Directv really has nothing to do with that. Your provider does not have to be Directv in order to get the online streaming when you sub to League Pass. It would be MLB's call on whether to include online streaming when you sub to EI. Knowing MLB, it's probably not going to happen.

I don't think it's Directv's call whether or not to offer the streaming as part of the package. It would be the league's decision. Directv does not provide the streaming service. You get access to the NBA's online streaming if you subscribe to League Pass. Directv really has nothing to do with that. Your provider does not have to be Directv in order to get the online streaming when you sub to League Pass. It would be MLB's call on whether to include online streaming when you sub to EI. Knowing MLB, it's probably not going to happen.
You also have to remember that DirecTVs EI is different than that of all of the other providers. DirecTV has their own version using their own feeds. All of the other providers use inDemand for EI.

And you still buy it ?
Well, I buy it, because I still go out, and I don't want to miss a game. Also I "moved", and I don't get my9 from NY for the few Yankee games that are on not on YES. I also use a slingbox which I find more reliable than MLB.tv. I bought a portable XM radio to for "emergencies".
Yes, I am nuts, I know. But I don't like missing a game.

I bought a portable XM radio to for "emergencies".

If you have a smart phone you can download the MLB app (usually around $10 or $15 per season, I forget) and it gives you the scores and streams the game audio. If you have the MLB.TV subscription, you can also get the out of market games on the smart phone through the MLB app on the phone too. :cool:

If you have a smart phone you can download the MLB app (usually around $10 or $15 per season, I forget) and it gives you the scores and streams the game audio. If you have the MLB.TV subscription, you can also get the out of market games on the smart phone through the MLB app on the phone too. :cool:
The APP is now free. You just need an MLB.TV account to access the audio and video.

Maybe you didn't realize how nuts I actually am ;)
I have the app. I had a primative hack version of it on my iPaq 2210 years ago. I have every MLB package/memberhsip you can think of.
Iphone battery doesn't last forever, and just in case I am in an area with no signal. Example, I was on a cruise in the Bahamas. XM Radio worked. Cell phone signal is non-existant.

Maybe you didn't realize how nuts I actually am ;)
I have the app. I had a primative hack version of it on my iPaq 2210 years ago. I have every MLB package/memberhsip you can think of.
Iphone battery doesn't last forever, and just in case I am in an area with no signal. Example, I was on a cruise in the Bahamas. XM Radio worked. Cell phone signal is non-existant.

Might not be as crazy as George but I used to book flights on the southern side of the plane so I could put my XM antenna in the window and listen to games ... worked great.

From another website where people got a renewel e-mail:

"<<<IMPORTANT RENEWAL NOTICE:
You are all set to enjoy another exciting year of MLB EXTRA INNINGS®. We are renewing you at the lowest price of 6 payments of $33.33/month. Look for the first charge to appear on an upcoming bill. If you wish to cancel to avoid payment, you must do so before the season starts; refunds not available after the season starts.>>>
"

After all the rumors of a significant drop in price for EI and bundling with MLB.tv......to see only a $10 drop is disappointing.

I will probably abandon EI for MLB.tv. I previewed the MLB.tv feeds on my Roku last year for the Free Games of the Day and the PQ was HD quality except on action shots (some pixelation) but even then it was still decent enough. I will lose access to the MLB channel (I am only on the family pack) but I can't justify another $80 for the season just for that channel.

Might not be as crazy as George but I used to book flights on the southern side of the plane so I could put my XM antenna in the window and listen to games ... worked great.

YES!!!!, I did that too!!! You are as crazy as me!! ;)

I would do MLB.TV before the MLB Extra Innings anyday and I may do that also ddinsm and george99 like the good old days :)

i wonder if they will give you discount if you pay it with credit card in one transaction like they did last year?

Been awhile, hope everyone is well. Good Lord guys, same discussion as 2-3 years ago. Say what you will, I had both last year because I have a couple of kids at college out of state. I have a superb internet connection and you guys are kidding yourselves if you think that the the MLB.tv quality through the PS3 is as good as the EI through D*. I understand, we want it to be but it just isn't the case. Same with the NBA, not as good, period, I have both....I use both, I enjoy both but I am just telling you the way it is.

Been awhile, hope everyone is well. Good Lord guys, same discussion as 2-3 years ago. Say what you will, I had both last year because I have a couple of kids at college out of state. I have a superb internet connection and you guys are kidding yourselves if you think that the the MLB.tv quality through the PS3 is as good as the EI through D*. I understand, we want it to be but it just isn't the case. Same with the NBA, not as good, period, I have both....I use both, I enjoy both but I am just telling you the way it is.

Ok, not really though. I had both last year as well with Fios Internet, 25/25MPSUpDown. Different, yes, but pretty darn close in comparison to the D* equivalent. I did many back and forth comparisons throughout last summer on my Panasonic plasma.

People tend to get pretty fanatical sometimes about PQ here and the other board and it really ends up being hot air to the general populace. I think that people's ultra sensitive nature about things like PQ is more in people's heads many times then anything that can be actually seen by most eyeballs.

What one has to ask is if the D* version of EI really is eighty dollars better quality wise. Eighty dollars is Eighty dollars any way one slices it. Two hundred dollars on top of a subscription fee to DirecTV that is.

Last edited:
The one thing I notice with the PQ of MLB.TV vs. watching a game via a TV provider is that the PQ of the TV provider looks like any other live TV broadcast, it looks like live video. The PQ via MLB.TV looks more like film while watching on my TV via any number of different devices (ex. Roku, Boxee, a Blu-ray player with the MLB app, etc.). It actually looks more like "live" TV on my PC, phone, or IPad.

I agree about the difference being what many consider slight and also about bruin95's comment about MLB.TV being film-like. Maybe I am "ultra sensitive" but I am a pretty fanatical baseball guy and I watch my Phils practically every game and several others. I am also watching on a 110 in. screen from projector that sits next to my 65 in. LED. For literally hundreds of games, I will spend the extra bucks every time to get it as good as it can be gotten. Still a bargain!

I dropped my EI subscription last year and paid for the MLBtv option - I think it was $125. I was able to watch games on my android phone but not my android tablet. They didn't have the app to stream games for my tablet. Of course i didn't find that out until after I paid for it. The main viewing plan was supposed to be thru my LG BluRay player. The service last year was intermittent @ best. It kept buffering, it was awful! I have a 30Mb profile from my ISP - so it wasn't me. MLB simply didn't have the bandwidth to support the service. Their customer service was non-existent. Strongly considering going back to EI.

I agree with you guys -- MLB.TV is definitely inferior, PQ-wise, to MLB/EI. The frame-rate is lower (appears to be 24P, making it look like film). It's inferior audio-wise as well, since as near as I can tell, the audio on all the games is mono (not stereo, much less 5.1). However, even though I have had EI for several years, I decided to drop it this season. Main reason is that "my" team is carried by my RSN, so there's no need to pay extra to get those games. I do like the option of looking at other games (especially if Vin Scully is behind the mic), and for those times, MLB.TV will suffice (at about half the price). I also like that MLB.TV archives the games, so I can go back and watch any game (handy when you hear about a no-hitter or other note-worthy game).

I was surprised when I called to cancel EI that I wasn't offered any incentive to keep it. They just say "OK, it's removed," and that was that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)