possible to connect to below horizon satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JustDooIt

Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
United states, cali
Living in California USA, trying to connect to 52.5E Yahsat 1a. I saw that this is below the horizon from where i live, does this mean i cannot connect to it?

Welcome to SatelliteGuys JustDooIt !!
That is correct. You must have a direct LOS(Line of Sight) to the satellite.
If you can't see it with your dish you cannot receive it.
52.5E is for sure way out of LOS for Cali.

Reactions: JustDooIt
might be a stupid question, could you detect an under-the-horizon satellite using a temperature inversion/troposheric ducting?

Think you'd have to be very very lucky for it to happen. There was another thread a while back where some calculated the height you'd have to mount your dish to see a satellite 2 degrees below your horizon. (IIRR almost low earth orbit range)

In theory you can pull a signal from below the horizon as the gravity of the earth will bend the signal slightly. But the negative to that is you are trying to get that signal through a lot more atmosphere and all its interference. Satellite signals are not good at terrestrial trips.

Reactions: JustDooIt
More likely to refract a C-band frequency than a KU band. Back in the analog days I remember talking with installers in Alaska that would pull in satellites calculated to be 4-5+ degrees below the horizon. The skew would be wacky and they would need to adjust frequently to track track the polarity shift in the refraction.

mikekohl has a lot of satellite experience in the Great White North. Maybe he will weigh in and tell us his installs!

Status
Please reply by conversation.