Status
Please reply by conversation.

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Hey guys, I was given the option to obtain the new receiver (upgrade) for free with a 2 year commitment, is there other ways to get it without a commitment? It seems like DirecTV is not selling this receiver yet without a contract...
Should I wait or go for it? I've been with DirecTV for 6 years, just don't like the idea of signing a new commitment...if you know what I mean.

No matter what adding an "advanced receiver" starts a two year commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

No matter what adding an "advanced receiver" starts a two year commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Scott, is Gene worth the upgrade or should I wait for something else? I hear lots of bad stuff within the software on the forums.

Anyways, called DirecTV Retention and they offered free genie + 200$ visa gift card. Hmmmm. take?

i would, i tried getting one today but was told i have to wait till march to be eligible for discount on it. glad i am finally able to get one at a discount.been waiting to get one since they come out

Anyways, called DirecTV Retention and they offered free genie + 200$ visa gift card. Hmmmm. take?

damn I'd take it before the rep thought about it :p
I got mine for free (the HR34 as it was called then) but no extra $200 gift card

You getting rid of the HR20 then?

Icewolf,

That's great that you've got that offer on the table...just wondering why I'm having such a hard time getting them to deal with me. What is your current equipment and service plan?

We have been DirecTv customers since the summer of 2004. We have two receivers in the house - one antiquated RCA non-HD receiver that we received when we signed up and one non-HD DVR that's about 6 years old. We finally splurged and bought an HD TV a month ago, so naturally, we wanted to look into replacing the non-HD DVR with a modern unit to take advantage of the new TV's capabilities. While at Costco, I spoke to the DirecTv representative about whether or not they offer discounted or free upgrades to HD equipment for existing customers. He said that if our equipment is as old as I say and we've been customers for almost 10 years, there should definitely be something they could do. Makes sense, right? Well, I have called DirecTv's equipment department three times to ask the same question. Each time, I've gotten a verbal quote of $450 (which they say is discounted) for a Genie unit for the HD TV, a second unit for our non-HD TV and the overall installation. WHAT? The second option is just a straight HD DVR for the HD TV, an upgrade to a modern non-HD receiver for the other TV and the associated installation for a little over $200. Better, but stilll.....WHAT?

Let me preface this by saying that I am not the kind of person who expects something for nothing, but I'm also not going to pay through the nose for a service that the average new customer gets for near free. I understand that the new subscriber deals are built to pull business in the door, but what about retention of existing customers?

My next thought was to just cancel with DirecTv and go with Dish Network and take advantage of a new subscriber deal for the Hopper...no luck there either. They informed me that our contract isn't up until October of this year and that there would be a $200+ cancellation fee to do so....road block there too.

We have never had any issues with the service itself, but I'm starting to become concerned with DirecTv's lack of concern with meeting their customers half way to keep them happy and ultimately keep their business. At this point, it's looking like we suck it up and have standard definition service with a new TV until October...

Aaron

We have been DirecTv customers since the summer of 2004. We have two receivers in the house - one antiquated RCA non-HD receiver that we received when we signed up and one non-HD DVR that's about 6 years old.

My next thought was to just cancel with DirecTv and go with Dish Network and take advantage of a new subscriber deal for the Hopper...no luck there either. They informed me that our contract isn't up until October of this year and that there would be a $200+ cancellation fee to do so

These two statements do not add up

IMHO the Genie is well worth it. We just came from DISH having a 722k and 222k set up. The HR34 seems much faster than either of the DISH receivers and now that it has been a couple of weeks the C31 clients seem to be faster than they were the first few days after install.

Very happy with the set up so far.

While the HR34/Genie had some bugs when it came out over a year ago they have cleaned it up greatly. I know there have been issues with the clients and the Genie but all I have is a HR34 and dont see those issues.

The 5 tuner recording option makes it great :)

Update, took the deal and install is being done today!

Tech is here at home replacing the old cables and re aligning the satellite also.

Been with dtv for 7 years, never missed a payment and been using the premier package since day one and signed up to multiple sports pack over the years including Sunday ticket.

I call for credits every 6-8 months and I get it.

The rep kept giving me offers but I kept declining until he finally went out of his way and offered this.

I was polite and told him that I loved dtv but felt my local cable provider offered a better deal plus cash back.

He placed me on hold couple times.

After couple hours of thinking by me I decided to accept the offer and called last night and completed the verification process.

I'll post in an hour or so when install is complete.

Update, took the deal and install is being done today!

Tech is here at home replacing the old cables and re aligning the satellite also.

Been with dtv for 7 years, never missed a payment and been using the premier package since day one and signed up to multiple sports pack over the years including Sunday ticket.

I call for credits every 6-8 months and I get it.

The rep kept giving me offers but I kept declining until he finally went out of his way and offered this.

I was polite and told him that I loved dtv but felt my local cable provider offered a better deal plus cash back.

He placed me on hold couple times.

After couple hours of thinking by me I decided to accept the offer and called last night and completed the verification process.

I'll post in an hour or so when install is complete.
Hope it goes well and tell us how you like it and good bargaining with them and I keep getting credits also and have had premier with them since I began with them and am so happy with Directv since I started with them :)

Okay, I freaking love this! It's a huge upgrade from my HR20-700, this thing is faster, changing channels feels smoother. Also I love the hard drive size and the option to record 5 channels at the same time!
DirecTV has come a long ways with this new receiver.

Okay, I freaking love this! It's a huge upgrade from my HR20-700, this thing is faster, changing channels feels smoother. Also I love the hard drive size and the option to record 5 channels at the same time!
DirecTV has come a long ways with this new receiver.
Thats fantastic. We have been very happy since we got it around october of last year. Thats also a great deal you got. I used to work for the local cable company and you would have never gotten that close of a deal from them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)