Possible to have DirecTV and Comcast in same house?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jackpaper

Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
PA
Hi! I am fairly new to all of this, but is it possible to have both DirecTV and Comcast in the same house? If so, what is the best way? Is it better have DirecTV installed first or Comcast? Thanks for your help!

Hi! I am fairly new to all of this, but is it possible to have both DirecTV and Comcast in the same house? If so, what is the best way? Is it better have DirecTV installed first or Comcast? Thanks for your help!

Yes it's possible.
I would advise to have them run separately, that way your not trying to share the coax.

Jimbo

I have Dish Network, DirecTV, and MediaCom in the same house.. So yes it's possible. Just don't expect the companies to wire it for you.. You need separate cables for best results.

I have Dish Network, DirecTV, and MediaCom in the same house.. So yes it's possible. Just don't expect the companies to wire it for you.. You need separate cables for best results.

What do you mean here ?
If I call and want X provider, they WILL come out and do the install regardless.
Most companies like to re use prerun wiring whenever possible, in this case the last provider (s) would have to run new wiring .
You do NOT need to run your own wiring, however, if you want to run your own the installers would be happy, just make sure you run the correct stuff.

Jimbo

Yes it's possible.
I would advise to have them run separately, that way your not trying to share the coax.

Jimbo

That's my situation. I have D* and TWC into the house.

D* for TV and TWC for Broadband and Phone.

They are two totally separate systems. Completely independent of each other.

While my cable runs look like a telco switching center, everything is labled, cabled tied and run to two different head ends in the basement near each other.

I have D* for T.V. and Comcast for internet and basic cable(I get internet cheaper that way).

They all have separate lines, in which they all ran themselves.

I have dish, direc and Att...

Just make sure they run new lines.

Dont let them talk you into
using existing lines.

Its a shortcut for them.

Make sure you tell them you want new lines only. Period!

I have both

I actually have Directv and Comcast.

Directv: HR22 upstairs/HR20 in basement.
Comcast: HD box in basement, and AO's on standard tv's throughout the house.

They are obviously ran seperately.

I have DirecTV and Comcast. Luckily the house was built with a coax wall plate in almost every room and separate cables running to a common point in the basement. All I did was figure out which coax I wanted Comcast on (For internet only) and had the rest hooked into the dish. Its easy

I have DIrecTV, but also have TWC basic cable along with internet and digital phone. Had to have at least basic cable to get the best package price for all three so it works out that I'm really getting it for free. The only time I ever use it is when I've got both tuners in the TiVo tied up recording and I want to watch local news or something off the networks and that's not very often.

it is possible to use the same cable if it is a non hd setup... not reccomended though, unless you are trying to cut down on the amount of cable in your house

You can use one line to share cable and sat using two individual diplexers or a multi switch and one individual diplexer per line.
For a mutli switch with built in diplexer(the port is usually labled uhf/vhf or cable/ant)take the cable input from the pole and connect it to this port.Use a single diplexer at other end of line and connect port labled in/out and connect it to line.Then take two jumpers and connect port labled sat to reciever and port labled uhf/vhf or cable/ant and connect to modem,cable box...etc.
If no multi switch with built in diplexer,take cable input and connect to a diplexer at port labled as mentioned above.Take sat signal from dish or multi switch and connect to port lanled sat.Connect in/out port to line.On other end of line,use another diplexer and connect line to in/out.take two jumpers and connect to cable and sat equip as mentioned previously.
This is not compatible with all systems.It def works with standard Dtv round dish(101 sat).To the best of my knowledge,there are no diplexers compatible with a Swm system.

That works 50% of the time and 90% only with basic cable (no stb) without internet (if its using 0-4mhtz it wont work) In a nutshell you can diplex cable in if the highest frequency they use is 249mhtz. Most from what I understand go as high as 450 and 950 mhtz, and internet can be as high as 15 mhtz. Since the FCC see's DBS as a separate source they allow sharing of frequencies. FiOs, E* and Digital Cable no way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)