Possibly saving a dish!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kittyhas1000legs

That's a lot of claws!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Western Slope, CO
Hey all,

Since I'll soon be in a south-facing apartment, I checked with my landlord about exactly what is or isn't allowed. Apparently she has no problem with dishes of ANY size, so long as it's not affixed to the building/balcony. Of course, I won't be putting an eight footer up since my fiancee would shoot me, but there's no problem with something up to four feet.

That being said, here's my goal:
BB.jpegBB2.jpegBB3.JPGBB4.JPG

I posted a long time ago to ask if someone could identify, I think it's a Prodelin. About four feet wide, two feet high. It's behind a long-defunct Blockbuster Video. I've found the property owner and left a voice mail. Assuming they say I can have it, how would I put it up? Would there be a non-pen for something of this size/weight, or would I be better off building a mount? I've never welded before, and I'm not sure if any family member has such tools.

Also, being that it's a Hughes dish, I assume the LNB for receiving is only one polarity. Would anyone know if it's vertical or horizontal? Eventually I'd set it up for both polarities on 125W, but one is okay at first just so I can be sure it's set up and aimed correctly.

Of course, if this falls through, there are a couple more businesses I'll try out, and I still have a WorldDirect dish.

Attachments

• BB4.JPG
    BB4.JPG
    780.6 KB · Views: 259
Very interesting dish! Could be Prodelin. Will work good only with original feedhorn, but, I think new LNB could be attached to it. I've made not penetrating stand for balcony out of wood.

Attachments

• P1300821a (Medium).JPG
    P1300821a (Medium).JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 168
I would say that's a horizontal polarity optimized dish. Vertical signals will be weak. Wouldn't be my choice general purpose viewing.

Magic is right that dish it not good for both polarities, even though it does look cool.

Drat. Most of what I'd want on 125 is vertical. There's still the place down the road with a (most likely) unused muzak dish...

Would a WorldDirect dish be stronger with horizontal vs. vertical, then? I think it's 36" wide, 24" high or so. Or could I be guessing wrong, since it's intended for two birds separated by 6 degrees?

The World Direct dish will not really be any better. But it will provide equal signals on both polarities. The Muzak dish would be my first choice. In fact I have one of those in use now.

The World Direct dish will not really be any better. But it will provide equal signals on both polarities. The Muzak dish would be my first choice. In fact I have one of those in use now.

Ditto on the Muzak dish. I have one too, one meter Andrew and it works great. I’m using it for Dish Network but I have used it for FTA and it works really great. It’s as good a quality dish as you’ll ever find.

I think I'd keep looking for a 'regular' 1.2 meter offset dish. You'd be able to get some C band on that. If you tried C band on this one think you'd be really disappointed as there's no feed available to match the dish shape. Or look for a smaller Ku dish (and then a motor)
Using the rule "area determines gain" a 1.2 meter is better. This one is closer to a 1.0 than a 1.2 for area.
In order to utilize this dish, you'll have to build a mount for the feedhorn, keeping it's placement exactly where it is. Then remove everything behind it and install a C120 flanged LNBF.
FYI: Don't think the shape of the dish will cause it to favor one polarity over the other.

I think I'd keep looking for a 'regular' 1.2 meter offset dish. You'd be able to get some C band on that. If you tried C band on this one think you'd be really disappointed as there's no feed available to match the dish shape. Or look for a smaller Ku dish (and then a motor)
Using the rule "area determines gain" a 1.2 meter is better. This one is closer to a 1.0 than a 1.2 for area.
In order to utilize this dish, you'll have to build a mount for the feedhorn, keeping it's placement exactly where it is. Then remove everything behind it and install a C120 flanged LNBF.
FYI: Don't think the shape of the dish will cause it to favor one polarity over the other.

There's one in CT on Craigslist. It looks suspiciously like one someone posted in the Satelliteguys Classifieds over a year ago with no bites. 1.2M, motor, looks like a conic scalar. Perhaps I'll get this one and still try for the muzak.

http://nwct.craigslist.org/ele/4433480348.html

edit: ...or not. If it's who I think it is, his profile says he sold it this month :mad:

Last edited:
It looks like a direct way dish to me in a way similar to the oval dishes grest for ku not for cband.

Looks like a Prodlin. The dish is already operating in both V and H. One for transmit, the other for receive. Don't be fooled by the shape of the dish, it's done that way to keep the transmit energy from interfering with adjacent satellites. It already has one lnb mounted on top and can be used as is for one polarity. If you want two polarities remove the transmit module and bolt in a second lnb in it's place. As mentioned you must use the original feed horn as it matches the dish shape and be sure to preserve it's exact position and distance to the dish surface. Here is one I modified for two lnbs slightly different style than yours.

Reactions: Titanium
No response yet for the rectangular dish, but the owner of the business down the road has no problem with my taking the Muzak dish, pending landlord approval. Even better, the stairwell goes straight to the roof so no ladder is needed.

I should have added the qualifier: too many for the balcony. If the powers that be (future wife) will only allow two, I'd have to pick between the 33" and WorldDirect (36"x24").

Status
Please reply by conversation.