Post your 622 Reviews Here!

I ordered on February 1st and got an install date of 2/25. I've been anxiously awaiting for the big brown truck to arrive.

Today at 3:45 pm it did! My ViP622 was here, and connecting it up was a breeze. The switch check went smoothly and I got solid signals on 110, 119 and 129. It downloaded software or something for about 15 minutes, did a save, rebooted, gave me that scary "Your hard drive has been cleared" or something like that, and it started working.

I checked out the various menus, scanned my locals and got a list of 27 digital channels (it counts sub-channels), but I couldn't receive anything on them. Just about everything in the EPG was red, so I decided to take a chance and get the receiver authorized.

I got a very nice woman CSR who was very organized about the entire process. She said she could get my receiver working and hold my install date for next week too. She asked for the two receiver numbers and the software that was indicated. She then asked me to go to the EPG. First all the analog satellite channels turned white. She asked me to check to see if I was getting USA. I was. Next she had me go to 9420 and asked me what color it showed. RED. One moment please. Bingo... it went white. Try to tune in an HD channel. I clicked on HDNet and there it was in beautiful HD. Next she asked me to go to ESPN2. It was there! She then asked me to check 8220, one of my locals. It was there, too. She then asked if I wanted my 811 and 501 DVR turned off. I said yes and tuned to the 811 and everything was already red on the EPG. She asked if I had any questions. I couldn't think of any, said thank you very much, and we were done.

It couldn't have gone any smoother. I lucked out and got a CSR who knew what she was doing!

I don't know if the installer will do anything when he comes next week. I now have a 500 for 110 and 119 and a 300 for 129. Will he replace it with a 1000? I don't know. Everything seems to be fine just like it is, so maybe he'll have one of the easiest install appointments of his career. I was thinking that if the 500 was replaced with a 1000 I could turn the 300 back to 148 so I could get KCBS out of LA. That's the only channel I can't get.

I ran through a lot of the various functions on the 622 tonight and it's working great! My OTA digitals are listed by virtual channel number right next to the local analog channels from Dish, i.e. 002-00, 002-01, etc. The OTA reception is very good, the hard drive is working perfectly, and I'm very pleased with the unit. Dish has a winner in the 622!

Larry
SF

Last edited:
I would like to ask if anyone here thinks the audio is better on the VIP622. When I watch channels that are broadcasting 5.1 sound I noticed that the sound field improved dramatically over the 811. Especially in the surround sound and rear speaker area.

Later this morning I am going to cut out the back of my Stereo Cabinet behind the 622 to allow for better air flow. This baby really creates alot of heat!

On my 622 I need to turn the volume up on the real Di Channels then turn them down on the Satellite delivered channels.

Not sure if this is happening to anyone else or not.

My 622 is undergoing its 2nd reboot of the morning... Looks like I'll be getting a replacement (hope) soon.

Running count is 7 reboots in less than 72 hrs.

bigmoe221 said:
I got my 622 today, and after 3 hours of phone calls it's working like a champ. The only problem I have is a popping sound in audio. It happens about once every 30 seconds. I'll check the connections tomorrow. Overall, I like it alot.

I’m also getting the popping sound. Last night the sound on receiver input 2 was out of sync. Today it’s just popping on receiver input 2. I also need to turn the volume up on the HD Channels then turn it down on the SD channels. Please let me now if you learn anything.

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:
On my 622 I need to turn the volume up on the real Di Channels then turn them down on the Satellite delivered channels.

Not sure if this is happening to anyone else or not.

I’m also getting the popping sound. Last night the sound on receiver input 2 was out of sync. Today it’s just popping on receiver input 2. I also need to turn the volume up on the HD Channels then turn it down on the SD channels. Please let me now if you learn anything.

Last edited:
Shamus46 said:
I’m also getting the popping sound on receiver 2. Last night the sound on receiver 2 was out of sync. Today it’s just popping on receiver 2. I also need to turn the volume up on the HD Channels then turn it down on the SD channels. Please let me now if you learn anything.

Having to raise the volume on the HD channels is normal on all receivers.

DucTape said:
Having to raise the volume on the HD channels is normal on all receivers.

I had the same problem with my 921. You need to play with the audio surround settings in your setup. There are separate settings for the RCA cables and the optical cable. I played with the setting for the RCA cables - which go to the TV - and I solved my problem by changing the setting. Anyway, try playing with the surround sound audio setup settings and see what you can do.

Good luck!

I ended the morning with 3 reboots. I just returned home and was sitting at the 'puter with nothing powered on in the TV area. Everything, including the 622 was powered off. I then hear the whir of the fan start up and a front panel light comes on. The damn thing was rebooting just sitting there not even turned on!!!

That's nine reboots in 72 hours.

I don't have a 622 but I have the 411. The OTA tuner module/8vsb chipset is alot better in the 411 (which is the same thats in the 622) is a hell of alot better than whats in the 811. I have two digital locals that will not come in on my 811 with out freezing and droping out that are very stable on the 411. I couldn't beleive how much of a improvement the 411/211 is over the 811. Its like night and day. The menus, software, and everything has been totally redone. I rate this thing a A+.

I was messing around with the 622 and I found out I was able to watch an OTA program on TV2 if it was being recorded from TV1. It's not the best solution to getting to the OTA tuner on TV2 but it works.

Codeman, when I saw your first picture with the 622 stuffed in that tight space with, what appears to be, you receiver right below it, it looked like a recipe for trouble to me. Putting the unit which generates the most heat on the bottom of the stack usually isn't a great idea.

For cooling options, I would recommend Active Thermal at www.activethermal.com

Don't know if this is the right place to report bugs or not, but here goes:

After rebooting from downloading the initial software, the image on the screen appeared to have 2 identical images with one image off center to the left and another overlaid and to the right---kind of a weird ghosting. I was able to navigate to the HDTV setup screen mainly because I rember the menu sequence from the 942 (menu-6-8). Changed it from 480p where it had defaulted to 1080i (which is where I prefer it for my 720p set---I know what you're thinking, but on the 942 this seemed to be the optimal setting). Anyway, this immediately resolved the problem.

We've been enjoying it without problems last night and again today. I eventually noticed that the image was getting jittery and having audio dropouts and eventually A/V dysynchrony. So I rebooted. Upon the reboot, I get the same "ghosting" problem. I resolved it by going into the HDTV setup menu again and changing it from 1080i to 720p. Again, it fixed it immediately. So, I put it back on 1080i without problems.

While I was typing this, I wondered if this is a bug that can be reproduced with rebooting. The answer is yes. I suppose this is a bug. It consistently happens with every reboot. It does not happen using component.

POSSIBLE BUG ALERT: STRANGE IMAGE GHOSTING PROBLEM IMMEDIATELY AFTER REBOOT. WORKAROUND IS TO CHANGE THE RESOLUTION IN THE HDTV SETUP MENU TO ANYTHING BUT THE PRESENT SETTING. THEN YOU CAN SWITCH BACK TO THE PREFERRED RESOLUTION.

I suppose this could just be a bad cable, but I barely moved the cable when I swapped out the 942 for the 622, and this never happened with the 942. The connection seems firm.

Please let me know if anyone else notices this phenomenon.

Thanks.

120inna55 said:
POSSIBLE BUG ALERT: STRANGE IMAGE GHOSTING PROBLEM IMMEDIATELY AFTER REBOOT. WORKAROUND IS TO CHANGE THE RESOLUTION IN THE HDTV SETUP MENU TO ANYTHING BUT THE PRESENT SETTING. THEN YOU CAN SWITCH BACK TO THE PREFERRED RESOLUTION.

I've seen this on my 622. I've only instigated a reboot once or twice. I can't remember specifically when it happened.

My 921 always did the same 'double display' you are speaking of.

pic of the 'double vision'.

Attachments

• DSC_0049.JPG
    DSC_0049.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 181
You guys found the hidden "3D" mode :D

Get those 3D glasses out folks. :) :)

Actually I have never seen that on mine but will look for it next time I reboot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)