Post your 622 Reviews Here!

Got my 622 installed yesterday. Have had one glitch recording OTA last night. Not sure what caused it. I thought everything recorded fine until I went back to play the 1 hour recording. The Info indicated that it was actually a 3+ hour recording and when I went to play it the screen froze. I was only able to unfreeze it with a soft reboot. I then tried to play it again and the system froze a second time. I then re-rebooted and erased the recording. Never had quite the same problem with the 942. Has the feel of a software issue to me. Wish that the On Demand option was kept in it's interactive box where it belongs. Don't like having to make a choice each and every time I go to play my own recordings ... ASIDE FROM THAT I really like the 622. It has a great picture both HD and SD and the OTA reception seems more solid than with the 942. Guess you have to expect a few bugs on a brand new product.

622 installed today. Haven't played enough to offer any real value here. But I like what I see so far.

But wanted to share that I had a good installer. Didn't install a switch but installed new LNBs such that the two existing lines would feed both my 211 and the 622 with the splitter (or whatever it's called) on the 622. I didn't go up on the roof to see how it all fits together up there yet...

I might have them come back and put in a switch so I can hook up my 811 in the spare bedroom. He said the 44 is the only switch that will work with my setup (not the 34). Sound right?

And he did a nice job of cleaning up my quick self-install from a couple of years ago when I bought this house. He put in nice drip loops and grounded it.

And yes, he got a tip...love it when someone tries and does a quality job.

That's all for now.

ordered 622 feb 1st with install date of feb 28th. 622 arrived today, i called installer to see if they had any sooner dates available, they gave me friday feb 24th between 12-5. hoo-ray!. one quick question , i currnetly have a 501 i am going to deactivate, i have about 10 hours of programs i have recorded on the hard drive, will i need to watch them before i deactivate or will i still be able to access them after deactivation. thanks , pajer

I am following this tread with trepidation as an owner of a 942 itching to upgrade.

So reading carefully all posts, to summarize, we have some common bugs:

1. Overheating
2. More noise than other receivers.
3. Audio dropout in digital mode.
3. Spontaneous reboot.
4. Picture problems in HDMI.

The plus compared to 942 is the * dialing for VOIP users and access to a few extra channels, and the elusive
Holy Grail of MPEG4 of which we only get broadcast flags to hide new MPEG2 programming from the plebeians.

Can some of you former 942 owners pitch in with a comparo of the two.

Kick me if im wrong, but for now i am sticking to my rock solid used 942.

Please understand that i dont mean to sound accusatory, on the contrary, congratulations to
all of you new owners. Keep posting here, this is a very informative discussion.

Last edited:
Kirby Baker said:
Another tidbit... I just tested my 622 with my VOIP. I use voicepulse, and have my bandwidth saver set to use G711u codec. Tried a dialout with no prefix, it failed. Put in *99, and it immediately worked. YAY! :)

Awesome. I just signed up for voicepulse on Monday. I have packet8 now and my 622 will only detect a dial tone. I hope I can get my phone working before Dish charges me the phone fee.

pajer said:
ordered 622 feb 1st with install date of feb 28th. 622 arrived today, i called installer to see if they had any sooner dates available, they gave me friday feb 24th between 12-5. hoo-ray!. one quick question , i currnetly have a 501 i am going to deactivate, i have about 10 hours of programs i have recorded on the hard drive, will i need to watch them before i deactivate or will i still be able to access them after deactivation. thanks , pajer

You can still watch them after you deactivate your receiver.

Kandiru said:
So reading carefully all posts, to summarize, we have some common bugs:

1. Overheating
3. Spontaneous reboot.

Well for me, I have no issues with audio dropouts. I am using Line mode, DD/PCM mix, going into my B&K. Tried RF mode as well, and noticed no difference.

I cant test HDMI. I would say it does run much warmer than a HD Tivo for comparison. But I havent had any error messages about overheating yet. I did have one reboot, caused when I loaded PIP, and tried to swap. Only happened once so far, have not been able to repeat it.

Dishpointer said:
Awesome. I just signed up for voicepulse on Monday. I have packet8 now and my 622 will only detect a dial tone. I hope I can get my phone working before Dish charges me the phone fee.

Yes, it was a pleasant surprise when it connected, and then I got worried as it started an update of phone records on my smart card (or account) and I havent told DISH about my VOIP number yet. Hopefully that wont cause it to shutoff tonight!

Kandiru said:
1. Overheating
3. Spontaneous reboot.

I haven't seen any of these problems. I don't think it runs much hotter if at all than the 522 did. It certainly doesn't make more noise. I think it does have a louder fan but isn't on all that often. in fact usually it's just at power-up.

Haven't seen the other issues either.

Wish i could say the same about my TV that just came back from the repair shop as I couldn't take the geometry problems any longer....only to find that they still exist. There's a 1/4" difference between the center of the picture and the sides when in letterbox mode (yes, it's a 4x3 set....had to compromise with the wife if I wanted HD, she had to have "fullscreen" as she understood it...this was 2 years ago so at the time there wasn't a lot being broadcast in HD that she would be watching.)

oh well, back to the 20" LCD while they "try again". Hopefully this time they'll say it's not repairable so I can get a new set... :)

One thing I have noticed so far is the OTA reception is much stronger on the 622 than my 811. My 811 always seemed to have a problem locking in on a couple of OTA local stations (using a Zenith Silver Sensor). The 622 is locking right on to everything and the signal is strong and steady. Also, it scanned up all the OTA stations perfectly.

Also, using HDMI/HDMI and having no problems at all (Monster M series cable). So far this is an excellent receiver from what I can tell. But I have only had it one day. :)

Dishpointer said:

I need to go search this out because I have been wondering about it. But how much is this phone fee and what do I need to do to avoid it? Just plug the phone line into the 622? I think there are some settings that need to be activated once it is plugged in right?

Got my 622 on 2/15 had an install scheduled for between 8-noon today. The installer arrived at 11:15 which made me a little upset. He installed a D500 to pick up 129 and a DPP44 hooked up the 622 activated it and was gone by 12:45. He did a very professional job. My one and only complaint was that he didn't unhook my OTA from my TV and connect it to my 622 Nor did he scan in the locals. I hooked up the OTA it found all the locals I had with my built-in. I like the look and operation of the 622 very comfortable to go from the 522 to this. I only had one problem, the HD channels had not activated yet as of 1:15 when I left for work. which was very hard to do after getting a new toy like this. Anyway, I am very satisfied with my initial experience..

I got my 622 delivered via UPS on 2/15. The install date was yesterday, 2/22. I had unpacked and had the 622 ready to go the day it arrived, but couldn't do much till the installer changed by old style switches to the DPP models. After the DPP44 was installed on 2/22, I unplugged the 501 and replaced it with the 622. The install tech called Dish's CSR to have it activated.

Ran into a CSR who was insisting that they install a Dish 1000 at my NJ location. I already have a Dish500 facing 110/119 and another wing unit facing 61.5. Installer was trying to explain to her that it would be impossible to pick up the 129 location from here, but she kept saying, "Some of the HD channels will not be available anywhere but 129." I tried to talk to her, but the tone of her voice said, "Why would an ordinary customer know more than me?" The installer finally asked her to activate the 622 as installed, and if anything was missing or needed updating he'd work with me to install the Dish 1000. (We agreed offline that it wasn't really needed, but anything to get past the gatekeeper.)

After that everything went as expected. It took about 15 minutes for the 622 to do a fresh download, get updated EPG info and a final reboot.

The only problem I noticed so far (in about 4-5 hours of viewing) is audio break ups on a couple of channels -- HD Sat Local WABC and HD Sat Local WNYW (Fox). In both cases the problem disappeared after a while. On Fox it was during American Idol between 9PM and 9:45PM. There were no problems between 9:45 and 10PM. Did not notice this problem on any other channel HD or SD; via Sat or off the air.

Coincidentally, both are 720p channels. Can everybody please note the channels on which they're seeing the audio breakups? Perhaps there is a pattern to the problem.

SInce this is my first HD DVR (had a 501 and 301 before; returning the 301) I can only compare its HD performance to the off-the-air reception on my TV. I think the 622 has a better tuner than the Mitsubishi WD-527525 (from Oct 2004); it pulls in more channels and more consistently. It had no problems with pulling Philadelphia locals (~60 miles away). The picture quality is off a little bit on the 1080i channels
(most likely due to HDLite-ing), but is only noticeable via quick back-to-back comparisions. Audio performance is good except during the annoying break ups as noted above.

Did not really get a chance to test timer recordings, etc. I set up some for overnight triggering, lets see how they go.

A bit about my configuration: Dish 500 facing 110/119 + Dish 300 facing 61.5; DPP44 connected to a 622 (with line separator) and a 501. 622 connected via Optical Fiber audio (Dolby Digital + PCM) to a Denon 2802 AVR; via HDMI to a Mits WD52725 HDTV; a ChannelMaster 4221 UHF Antenna connected to the 622's Off-air Antenna-in port. 622 connected to a phone line.

Kandiru said:
1. Overheating
3. Spontaneous reboot.

Can some of you former 942 owners pitch in with a comparo of the two.

1. No temp problems here. And I don't have anything fancy like custom cooling fans, etc.
  2. Noise level is either the same or less than that of the 942. On boot-up the 622 does have a louder "whoosh" for about 5 seconds. I've noticed a lot of PC's do this, and I've just assumed that's intended to blow away any nearby dust clumps, but I don't know for sure.
  3. The only audio dropouts I've noticed occur about 8 seconds after a new audio flag appears. (My AV receiver tells me when there's a new flag). Like going from DD 2.0 to 5.1, etc. This is minor, and probably varies by AV receivers. However comparing it to the 942, the 942 did not do this.
  4. Never spontaneously rebooted.
  5. The only HDMI picture problem I've encountered has been after I rebooted the box, the image was "split". Changing rez in the setup menu fixes it. Note it only happens after rebooting, not with normal operation or going into standby and back on.

I used my 942 hard from June 9, 2005 until February 18, 2006, with rarely a hiccup. I would dare say it was "rock solid".

I've used the 622 hard since February 18, again with rarely a hiccup. The only necessary reboot was after accepting the new software. The subsequent reboots were induced by myself as an experiment to see if I could reproduce the "split image" phenomenon.

The only difference between the 942 and the 622 that even seem worth mentioning are:
  1. the fact that the 622 has the VOD feature (about which I'm ambivilent)
  2. the 622 allegedly can accept MPEG4 (about which I cannot comment as I do not have any real MPEG 4 content)
  3. the 622's ATSC tuner seems superior to the 942's
  4. the 622 has smaller LEDs (heheh)

Here are my thoughts on the 622

1.) I think I have a dead Hard drive, as I cannot record anything please see my other post http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=57555

2.) The OTA tuner is WAY BETTER than the 811. I no longer have any of the problems I used to have. I can get all the L.A. channels tuned in VERY Quickly and they are strong! (this is the only positive thing I have to say about the 622 right now)

3.) I don't know if it's my unit or a bug, but my TV1 RCA audio outputs are sending a TICKING noise! :( every few seconds or so I hear a tick.

4.) The FAN is HORRIBLY LOUD!!!!! Don't put this unit in your bedroom if you expect to sleep. (It almost rivals the microwave and vacuum cleaner)

5.) They changed how you select the zoom levels (normal/partial zoom, full zoom, etc) you now have to press the '*' key instead of the page up/page down like on the 811 (this took me 10 minutes of reading to figure this out)

I am definitely noticing significant audio failures on optical output. It appears to be explicitly a problem with the optical interface, however as if I switch my TV to component view (where I'm using RCA cables) the audio is present.

The resolution for this seems to be changing channels and changing back again, but that can be somewhat painful if you're trying to watch recorded content.

BTW, not exactly 622 related but being new to DishHD to begin with...what's with the distortion on TNTHD movies? Why bother putting movies in HD if you are going to compress a 4x3 image to force it to be 16x9. What a waste of space on my hard drive. Also the audio on TNTHD sucks (very low) (ironic considering their slogan)

At least I was able to free that space up quickly enough (30 hours is way too small....i'm hoping MPEG4 will boost that a little...)

rhollinger
Have you tried disconnecting the rca from TV and just using optical, you should still be able to get sound on both component and html/dvi if your going through an a/v reciever.

Dirtydan said:
rhollinger
Have you tried disconnecting the rca from TV and just using optical, you should still be able to get sound on both component and html/dvi if your going through an a/v reciever.

That wouldn't work. The audio plugs directly into my TV, the TV then runs optical to my receiver. This way I don't have to run separate sets of cables all over the place. TV preserves the DD signal. I forget if I run my DVD directly to receiver due to DTS processing. Keep in mind I rarely get to use my receiver due to kids sleeping and wife on phone, etc. I have to wire the TV for sound as primary.

The TV would require separate audio for component as the optical input is only valid when watching the DVI interface. I only hooked up component because my wife would have gotten confused until I got the remote reconfigured to default to DVI instead of component. Also for testing...

The issue would still exist, regardless. THe problem is the optical output simply stops processing when I start an HD source sometimes. It needs to be kicked and then it starts working again.

I havent had any audio problems.. I use an optical., and occasionally the hdmi audio to my tv. No issues at all.. As for the fan, Its very quiet. It has its times where it spools up kinda loud. But it only happens once every day or 2.. and for around 30 seconds. If your fan is making alot of noise, try putting it in a cooler spot.

As previously stated, my only audio problem is a split-second dropout about 10-20 seconds after an "audio flag change". Therefore for me this is not even an issue.

I see, however, that some are having greater problems, while others are having none. Perhaps this warrants a new thread where the posters with or without problems discuss in more detail their audio setup (especially make and model of AV receiver).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts