Post your COMMENTS about the Upgrade Here

dail24 said:
Has anyone seen any programming from the mpeg-4 channels yet? Curious as to how the picture looks

I have the 211 and 61.5. I get all the new programming and it is as clear as the older programming. I also get the NY distant nets and they are OK in SD. They were not broadcasting HD this morning, but I will check tonight. I believe the picture quality on the 211 is superior to the 811 or 6000. Even the Voom channels look clear to me on my 65" HDTV. I know the signal strength on the OTA channels is better and I have had no picelation so far.

My upgrade experience...

First call 7:30am pst, on hold 12 minutes, CSR couldn't even understand my phone number, I hung up and called back. Second call on hold 12 minutes, foreign CSR, but understood me and spoke english well. After about 30 one moment pleases, she informs me that the 622 is not available in CA. What a retard. Called local Dish retailer, he says they are not at the stores yet, but i can order one for $699. What a retard. Called Dish back to get a different CSR, on hold at the moment... This CSR says he will order the 622, standard $299 + $1, 18mo commitment, delivered in 7-10 days. Install date of March 7! I asked why couldn't it be sooner, as the dish retailers could be here tomorrow if i needed them, and they are the ones Dish contracts anyway! He then informed me that if I want to call one of the local retailers to do the install once the 622 arrives, I can do that. We'll see what happens... I have Dish 500 and separate 61.5 dish and he said that will be fine, don't need the 1000. The only part that really bothers me is that they are charging CC's before equipment ships. He seemed to think that they were in stock, and I'm sure he knows :)

Last edited:
Platinum Package Order

I just called and placed my order for the Platinum Package, replacing my 811 receiver. I did not order the DVR, so, I was told that they will ship out my new receiver, and I will get it in 7-10 business days and when I do receive it to call them back to activate the new package. Since I already have a superdish, I was informed that I do not need a new dish installed. I am to return my 811 receiver (i am leasing it) within 15 days. I had to agree to an 18 month commitment, and my upgrade cost will be $49.
I was on hold for approximately 15 minutes. It all went very well, and I was very pleased.
Good luck to the rest of you!:up

emtownsend said:
I would imagine the 90 day warranty referenced earlier in this thread was for the Dish 1000 install not the receiver. Just my guess.

My CSR explicitly told me that the installation had a 90 day warranty and the receiver had a 90 day warranty. Of course, we are talking about E* here, where their info communication system doesn't work too well.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't know why a warranty is needed for a lease anyway...

On the phone now with a CSR out of the VA call center. He wanted me to tell everyone on the forums to be patient as apparently the new programming came with new software for the CSR's computers that is in its alpha stage, according to him. He also said only 2 centers are doing the upgrade, not sure if that pertains to VA or all of the USA. I have a confirmation number but something just happened and he put me on hold to contact IT. Apparently to override shipping charges. It's a lengthy process due to the new software on the CSR's end it seems, otherwise he seems knowledgeable of the packages and equipment available for the upgrade. I am upgrading an 811 for the 211. Got my RMA number as well now, so all is complete. Total call time was 26 min and 46 sec. Overall an ok experience, but not as fast I would personally have liked.

Well, this will be interesting. My install date is for Feb. 6 and I will be receiving a 622 (I hope!). Nothing was said about shipping the unit to me, so I am assuming it will come with the installer. I will let you all know if and when I receive it.

First post, great site BTW! Called just a few minutes ago, got the India call center. Primary reason for calling was to cancel locals/HBO/Showtime. The CSR got that done very quickly and politely. I then asked her about the ViP622 and how much it would cost to upgrade to one (currently using 2x508's). She told me the item was newly launched and she didn't have any info or offers for it, but she was more than happy to offer me a 942 for $299. I thought they weren't supposed to be offering the 942's anymore, or is that a bit off? Seemed weird to me.

Called this morning to order the 622, have a confirmed install date of Feb. 6th. Funny thing is i ordered and have received and activated my 211 on Jan. 17th aa a lease and also received approval for the 622 lease. Was on the line for less than 10 minutes.

If I already have one dish at 61.5 and a dish 500 at 110 & 119 why do I need a Dish 1000 for 129? Did I miss something?

Last edited:
Lexi51 said:
I already have a superdish, I was informed that I do not need a new dish installed. I am to return my 811 receiver (i am leasing it) within 15 days. I had to agree to an 18 month commitment, and my upgrade cost will be $49.

Umm.... with a SuperDish you will not see the new HD channels.

They are only available with a Dish 1000 or a Dish pointed at 61.5

As an invertebrate a/v early adopter in my 20’s (e.g. my Betamax had a three digit serial #) I somewhere along the line realized it’s more cost effective to wait awhile for the enviable bugs to be worked out some. No matter how hard a company works to make sure something works right before release, there are always some problems. And E* doesn’t have a great track record. I’m sticking to my 921 et. al. until April or so. Getting the Seattle locals in HD would push me over real quick though.

The CSR assured me I wouldn't need to upgrade my dish 500 pointed at 110 and 119, that it would work fine with the 211 and the HDGold pack. Is that right, or do I need to call back and talk to someone else? They're scheduled to come out tomorrow with the 211.

thanks

njjeepguy said:
If I already have one dish at 61.5 and a dish 500 at 110 & 119 why do I need a Dish 1000 for 129? Did I miss something?
You don't, unless you just want to "future proof" your system and get a DPP+44 switch.

kaddywampus - CALL BACK. THAT IS WRONG INFO THEY GAVE YOU!!!!

You MUST have a dish pointed to 129 (Dish 1000) or a dish pointed at 61.5 to get the new HD channels.

You need to call back.

The new channels are on 61.5 and 129.

Want to hear something funny, I was on the phone with a contact from Dish and at the time I was reading the other site and noticed they have a few people (all with only 1 or two posts) claiming they are getting a 622 installed this week or next week.

Almost looks to me that they need to make up fake users to try showing that there are 10,000 availble today when there are not (hell as of today there is not even the 240 available I posted about)

Even the guy from Dish Network was laughing at this one. No one is getting them for at least 2 weeks. He also thought a lot of folks would definately be rescheduled as he said "Even if the receivers are ready, how many installs can we do on the 21st."

Don't believe the hype. :)

Well after a few emails to executive offices it looks like I'm going to hold off on the upgrades.

I was hoping to upgrade my equipment only, but that is not allowed. I currently have 4 months of the HD Package for Free so I would have to forfeit that if I was going to upgrade. At this point I'll just wait until the Summer to go to MPEG-4. Maybe by then there'll be a better deal, or at least the bugs will be out of the early machines.

Good luck to everyone else!

I got the upgrade this morning for a 211 by mail. I think that I will need the Dish 1000, though, to get around having to have a 3rd dish put on my house because of my locals. (My locals are on two separate satellites. I am only using one satelllite right now. 119, in Denver area.) I am seeing 110, 119, and 61.5 with two dishes. If I get the Dish 1000, won't I still need two dishes because one of my local channels in on satellite 148? When does Dish have to begin to carry the locals on one satellite, instead of two? Thanks for the info.

Can I use Dish'n It Up to lease a 622 without commitment to a metal HD package? I would like to use the 622 to record SD and OTA HD for now.

Would they just charge me the additional $6/month fee, or is a metal HD package a requirement?

Slaylock said:
Can I use Dish'n It Up to lease a 622 without commitment to a metal HD package? I would like to use the 622 to record SD and OTA HD for now.

Would they just charge me the additional $6/month fee, or is a metal HD package a requirement?

According to what the executive offices told me, you cannot do an "equipment" only upgrade. At the very least you'll have to sub to the new $30 HD Only pak, and you still will probably get the $6 enabling fee.

Basically they're trying to ration their MPEG-4 receivers by only sending them out to people who go with the new "metal" packages.

Update:

CSR never called back, so I decided to call Dish again. The results was that my installation got bumped to 02/27/2006. I only found that out after 2 dropped calls and 1 disconnected call. I finally that to Christina from India, she was quite unpleasant and not intrested in giving me a reasonable excuse.

The previous 3 CSR's all told me that the 02/24/06 installed date was still available. Christina did not even check. Flat out said "no"!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts