Post your Sprint 4G Speedtest

I had to give up my Garmin yesterday (wife needed it and hers was in her vehicle in TX) and, besides the speed, it was so nice using GPS, while surfing...posting on SatGuys...and using the phone athe same time.

Also, yesterday was the first time I used Sprint Navigation. Not bad, but I certainly prefer my garmin. however, it was nice to see how well google interfaced with Sprint Navigation - just speak an address, click a link, and you're on your way. My garmins are not networked.

Steve Mehs said:
I've never been able to navigate the site that well on the phone. Perhaps my fingers are too fat or whatnot but I usually end up running tests from servers on the other side of the country.

Did you download/install the sweetest app from the android market?

By sweetest app I assume you mean speedtest app? Lemme guess you posted that from your phone? :D Yep I downloaded the app, posted the results above, I'd like to compare the app results to the results with using the actual site one of these days though. I've read on other places that the app gives you slower results then if you use the site itself.

Steve Mehs said:
By sweetest app I assume you mean speedtest app? Lemme guess you posted that from your phone? :D Yep I downloaded the app, posted the results above, I'd like to compare the app results to the results with using the actual site one of these days though. I've read on other places that the app gives you slower results then if you use the site itself.

Too funny...yep posted while driving using speech to text and a mother in-law who won't stop talking in the back seat.

1003374244.png

I'm in a real bad spot with my laptop.

his upload is the same as my download on at&t 3G in my area (charleston, wv).

Sorry you have such bad luck in Charleston. Here is my average with AT&T here in Ohio.

68098223.png

Here is the fastest I have seen since switching back to the iPhone.

54612455.png

his upload is the same as my download on at&t 3G in my area (charleston, wv).

No kidding, here's what I typically got with full bar 3G on my iPhone. Then again who knows if it was really full bars considering Apple's creative signal -> Bars mapping

39279768.png

I did get some slightly better results, but not by much. This speedtest result always meant a lot to me because sadly enough, that's the lowest ping I ever saw on AT&T in the 15 long months I had them and the iPhone. Funny thing is this speedtest was taken not to far away from a billboard proclaiming AT&T as 'Buffalo's fastest 3G Network'. My 3G speedtest result with Sprint that I posted above was taken in the exact same location as this joke.

No kidding, here's what I typically got with full bar 3G on my iPhone. Then again who knows if it was really full bars considering Apple's creative signal -> Bars mapping

39279768.png

I did get some slightly better results, but not by much. This speedtest result always meant a lot to me because sadly enough, that's the lowest ping I ever saw on AT&T in the 15 long months I had them and the iPhone. Funny thing is this speedtest was taken not to far away from a billboard proclaiming AT&T as 'Buffalo's fastest 3G Network'. My 3G speedtest result with Sprint that I posted above was taken in the exact same location as this joke.

This is the bad part about all providers. They range so differently in each area they cover. Your AT&T test is the average that I had with Sprint and the EVO. Though I was lucky to get 50K at a max while I was at work. This is why I opted out of my Sprint contract when I had a chance just after a few months of service. Also this is why I don't give advice on cell providers. No one provider is great in everybody's area.

From a few hours ago in Rochester, my best download ever, second best upload ever and an excellent ping. 12Mb on a cell phone, hot damn! That's 4 times faster then Verizon DSL in my area.

16909338.png

How do you get the speed test results from the Android app? I have been able to do it from the browser, but really want to try it from the Android app. :)

How do you get the speed test results from the Android app? I have been able to do it from the browser, but really want to try it from the Android app. :)

On the speed test app, click on results and select the one you wanna see and if you want to email it to post it here, just hold it "down" and it will give you the prompt to email it.

From a few hours ago in Rochester, my best download ever, second best upload ever and an excellent ping. 12Mb on a cell phone, hot damn! That's 4 times faster then Verizon DSL in my area.

16909338.png

hehe and some folks here said it would not go over 10mb LOL.. of course it can, I have seen 14mb at some android sites

Can I post my pathetic 3G test? ;) The idiots in network design decided to run on T-1 to the tower that feeds downtown with alllllll the state offices right there in the capital city! I miss the years that Sprint leased the 3G from Alltel here...

16929370.png

The best 4G speeds I've had tops out at 10Mb'ish, but most of the time it's between 5-6. The one problem I have with Sprint's current 4G coverage is that I'll drive down the road and 2-miles later I'll be back to 3G...only to pick-up a 4-G signal a few blocks away; the coverage is still spotty outside of the immediate metro area. Also, I've noticed that performance kinda sucks if I am in an area where the phone is cycling in-and-out of 4G. I simply turn-off 4G...but I would like better coverage. Anyway, more than a dozen techs at work share a 1Mb DLS connection for personal use since the work network is locked-down pretty tight (my job). Needless to say, the DSL connection is slow as molasses. Anyway, I just fired-up my laptop and EasyTether on the EVO and I am in business. You know, I still remember buying my first 2400 U.S. Robotics Modem and being amazed at how fast it was compared to the 300-baud acoustic coupler connected to the handset. I am simply amazed at how my mobile phone can support multi-T1 link speeds these days.

16933454.png

I can't figure out still how to post results from the speedtest.net application. Sucky results today.

I am hoping they are still working in things since we are not officially online yet.

I can't figure out still how to post results from the speedtest.net application
Not sure if you made a typo Scott, but looks like you figured it out. :) What I do some times is instead of emailing myself I'll send the result to a virtual post it note on one of the Notes apps I have, then just copy and paste the URL of the test result.

If it’s deployed in your area like it was in Rochester, don’t worry things will improve. 4G was launched there on July 12th, I’m in Rochester Tuesdays and Wednesdays for work, so I was able to test it out on Day #2. This is my first 4G speedtest ever, This is what I got. Compare that to the 10Mb tests I posted in my first post above, and I think those are from August 11th

7007093.png

Each week when I’d go back, speeds increased, coverage expanded and 4G became more robust. I have 4G in areas where there wasn’t any before, where I had one bar I now have two, where I had two bars, I now have a full three. Coverage is also more consistent, I’m not going back and forth between 3G and 4G like I was before. I’m really not in the city too much, mostly the suburbs and coverage has increased a lot, especially in the first month after launch. So I see things definitely improving for you, although your initial speeds are pretty impressive.

Odd thing about the Speedtest app, it has issues getting info from the GPS when on 4G, 3G is fine, but the servers I get when I’m on wimax boggles me. Aside from the first time, I don’t get any servers that are remotely close to me. I usually use the NYC server as my benchmark for everything, ever since the first time now it thinks I’m in the Midwest. My choices of speedtest servers are St. Louis, Chicago and a bunch of other places. Rochester and Merrillville are about 600 miles apart not 100 miles apart. And even that has changed. Those 10.33Mb and 10.74Mb results are from me, in my work truck parked along side of one of businesses I stop at in the town of Pittsford, NY. I was in the exact same spot when I took that 11.9Mb speedtest earlier today, but I’m 150 miles closer, figure that one out :D
What really sucks is having those awesome speeds only to come home and be back down to 2Mb. No word on when we’ll see wimax in Buffalo.

One thing I’m really disappointed in is Sprints lack of advertising. Last weekend when I was in Syracuse and Rochester I did not see a single billboard for Sprint. I went by Sprint kiosks in the malls, drove my corporate stores in strip plazas and stopped in at a few authorized retailers. They all had the big Evo poster, but nothing that was like ‘Hey Rochester, 4G is here, Sprint offers the fastest mobile broadband network in the area’.

Odd thing in the DC area is that 4G (although we can't call it that any longer) has been advertised in the area for the past couple months, but it's still not available if you plot your address online. I've also noticed that 4G appears to be popping-up in new parts of the city, but I've also noticed it will occasionally disappear completely. And I've also noticed the 4G signal level will sometimes drop significantly while at work - when I run Speedtest it will select a distant server in Kansas, Texas, New Jersey, etc. Needless to say, performance is less-than-stellar during this time (like this one). Anyway, it doesn't happen often but based on my experiences 4G will be a little "testy" until Clearwire/Sprint build-out more of the infrustructure.

16943126.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)