Post your VOOM Activation Stories here

I'm a former Voom subscriber. Ordered Dish to take advantage of their special offer to Voom subscribers. Installation went very well. CSR had to install a second dish aimed at 61.5 for the Voom HD channels. He just reaimed my original dish and replaced the head. Got a 811 receiver for my HD tv and a regular box for my my standard tv. This was his first look at Voom HD programming. He was impressed with the picture quality. I must say Voom HD programming on Dish 811 receiver looks just as great as with the Voom STB. Also get the same OTA channels as I did with the Voom receiver. I am pleased.

Walter L. said:
GOOD NEWS!!!

The VOOM Package can now be ordered on-line (my friend just did it). That's a convenient way to avoid the misinformed CSR's.

You must be talking about in the new account online signup page.

Because the add programming section in the user account site is still the old aracaic programming selections that have been there

I tried dishtv.com, the dish store, et al. They ALL wanted $100 for a 3rd dish as they claimed the free second dish would not work for voom. In frustration I just called up a local dish installer who has an ad in the local paper, talked to the owner himself (not someone in INDIA) explained what i wanted,he said he would use the current voom dish and no extra charge for another dish, one of our kind souls on the forum here gave me a club dish number to use so my cost is $0 upfront with same pkg deal that all the online stores have. I guess the lesson is to try someone local FIRST and maybe you will be able to speak to a live human that is tech savvy and speaks good english too.

Dish would not budge on extra $100 for VOOM Dish. I was already going to pay $249 for 942 box in addition to 120 channel and HD service along with a 1 yr commit. They are willing to provide me 2 dishes but if I want one of those to be for the 61.5 slot for HD I had to pay the extra $100. Also, wouldn't even consider existing VOOM wall orniment I have already pointing at 61.5. I also found out that they don't include an OTA for HD locals (I can still use the VOOM OTA).

Getting to be too much $ for something that will probably change in the next 6-12 months (MPEG4, channel line-ups on which satellite, new receivers, ??).

Since I already had two dish 500s with dishpro quads, I took the second dish and used it with a dishpro dual to turn it to 61.5. I don't need two dish pro quads anymore ,since I am now using the dishpro plus twin and the dishpro plus seperators. I got them from the dishdepot website and paid about $101.97 for the seperator and the dishpro plus twin and dual . The good thing is Mark at dishdepot will give me 50.00 for the trade in of the dishpro quads. I run just two lines now ; one to my living room and one to my master bedroom. The bad thing is I have at least one extra cable run into my bedroom and living room and two extras I am not using in my son's room.

I am using the 942 and the 522. It took the place of my 921 , and two 721 receivers. My son watches the 522 via the coax cable run from the master bedroom. We only watch the master bedroom tv when we need to watch a show that my wife wants to watch ; HGTV. :rolleyes:

Anyway , my buddy who works for a satellite discount supply house & will work for cash on the side, came over and peaked my second dish to the 61.5 sat, I ran the checkswitch and viola; I had 110/119/61.5 switchs checked. I called the dish network tech department and told her I had the second dish set up for 61.5 and I was seeing the Voom channels in red in my guide. She turned them on and 2 minutes later I was Vooming. :yes

EASY and NO FUSS and I love the dolby digital sound and the picture is AWESOME. I am out about $71.97 since I am getting the $50.00 trade ins on the dishproquads and paying $20.00 in cash to peak the dish. Still cheaper than Dish coming out . I have always said that Voom should have been an all hd content provider add on, to the existing two sat companies. I guess they will only be with Dish now that they are part owners in the Voom business. Cool with me since I am staying with Dish , Voom hd and my wonderfull 942 receiver. :D

sonnyboy11 said:
Hey VPTech, was the second Dish you got installed already going to be pointed at 61.5? Just curious if you had to ask the tech doing the installation to point it to something other than what was on his work order. I am doing the exact same thing you are doing but I am pretty sure my install this Sunday for the second dish is going to be pointed at 148.

I didn't have to do or say anything special. As I understand it, it would have been pointed at 61.5 anyway. Apparently that's the default for metro Atlanta, GA. But I doubt the tech would have cared.

E* pisses me off. I am willing to pay them more money for the HD pack with Voom but they will not simply ship me an 811. I already have a 64 switch installed with a dish pointed at 61.5. But they insist that I pay $100 to have someone come out and connect a couple friggin cables. How do they stay in business with such idiotic policies? So needless to say I did not sign up for the extra programming.

justdaved said:
E* pisses me off. I am willing to pay them more money for the HD pack with Voom but they will not simply ship me an 811. I already have a 64 switch installed with a dish pointed at 61.5. But they insist that I pay $100 to have someone come out and connect a couple friggin cables. How do they stay in business with such idiotic policies? So needless to say I did not sign up for the extra programming.
Because less then one percent want to instlal the dish on their own. Thats why they are still in business.

What about my Voom Dish

The Dish Network Guy is here and after installing two more Dishes, I now have 3 dishes and 1 large antenna. Can the Dish guy use any of my old VOOM equiptment? Is the VOOM equiptment mine? Advice??

Thanks,

Eg

After 12 days on waiting on a replacement for my crashed 921 (10 days of communicating with DISH, 2 days on shipping) and 2 installation appointments, I am VOOMING!! :)

DISH said they would knock off 3 weeks of charges and even installed my 61.5 dish for free, they called it a free locals antenna. Life is good and I already love RAVE TV. I did not have to call in for activating the Voom channels, the 921 tech support guy said he would take care of me. He did. I love my DISH.*

* Full disclosure, I am a DISH shareholder.

I did everything on line using the promo code voom 0000xxxx i got from the email from dish. Got a confirmation next day, that was Thursday with install for friday. Had two 811 STB installed. Two lines from already in house from VOOM. Installer replaced my Voom dish with one of theirs a 500 with one LNB and added a second dish 500 pro. He did not use a muti switch. well one receiver connected fine the other did not. Replaced second 811 receiver same thing. So he added a pp 34 switch, this solved the problem.

i looked at my dish bill today and there is a $100 charge on it but then they gave me a $100 CREDIT. So I think the $100 is waived in by case.

I am wrong on this post, today 5-9-05 there is a $100 charge on my credit card.

Happy voomer

Long time Dish customer. Called Dish last week, made an appointment with the CSR for yesterday at 9:00am. Installer showed up on time, hooked up new dish, had to leave and meet another installer to get proper switch, returned promptly and completed installation in 1.5 hrs. Now me and my 811 are up and running. Love Equator HD. Well worth the $100.00 install fee for me.

I am looking for some advice. I have all the switches and dishes necessary to get the Voom channels and yet E* insists that the 811 requires professional installation and that I must pay $100 for the install. I refuse to pay $100 for the inconvience of waiting for someone to hopefully show up for an install for something I could do myself in about 2 minutes. So do I leave dish to get HD from comcast or is there someone I can call at E* to get around this issue. There website says there is no additional charge to lease the 811 other than the 5 bucks a month. ERRH.

justdaved said:
I am looking for some advice. I have all the switches and dishes necessary to get the Voom channels and yet E* insists that the 811 requires professional installation and that I must pay $100 for the install. ERRH.
They fed me the same line and I have installed every piece of equipment I ever bought from Dish, so I bought a used one from the Classifieds of this forum. If you look, you can get them for around $150.

I repointed an existing dish to 61.5 myself and called Dish. The CSR immediately turned on the Voom channels but, after putting me on hold, told me that he must schedule a installation visit to make sure I can get the correct signal. I the explained to him that the channels were already turned on and I was watching one. This caused him to pause. He told me he would need to note in my account that Dish didn't handle the installation. Fine by me.

So I had to navigate the CSR rapids but I have the channels. Now I will watch my account to make sure no unplanned charges show up (like $99 for the installation I declined).

Called last Monday 5/2, scheduled 61.5 install to add the voom pack for 5/7. Tech showed up on time, installed the second dish. He was done in about 60 minutes, and did a great job. Not one problem.

The PQ on the voom channels is awesome.

Install

Last Wednesday the installer came to put in my two dishes. The second was free can't get all the locals on one dish. He was a nice guy but his workmanship was poor. Left a mess behind, did not staple wires to house,would not move any furniture had to move it myself. Anyway got the dishes up. That Thursday I lost all my channels.. Had to call tech support and about 15 minutes later finally got through. Tech guy gave good service and I was up and running in about 10 minutes. He said we have the new Voom channels do you want them, only cost $5.00 more? I said sure and they were on in about 2 minutes. PQ and sound is awesome!!!!

Found LOS to 61.5 - nicely enough right where my old 148 dish was before I moved it to get better LOS - thought I was gonna have to be about 50' away from the rest of my dish farm. Hung the dish.

Pulled my DPP-Twin and the DPP Separator to the 921. Hooked up a DP34 and pair of DP21s. Check switched the 921 and my 501 (fortunately ;) I had a spare coax feed from the farm to the HT room). All OK. Of course, no 61.5 on the 501.

Called 800-333-DISH, option 31 (HD tech support). Told "Joe" (a definite American) I just hung my dish and wanted V*. He said $5/month. I said "go". Tried to talk him into giving me the half-price HD Pack deal. He said I probably wasn't eligible, but he'd try - said he couldn't find a way to do it. Oh well. Tried to get CBSHD-East added. He wouldn't do it - said I could only have east OR west, not both, even though I'm grandfathered for multiple distant nets. By this time, my V* channels were lit.

Less than 15 minutes total time - even with my trying to get extra goodies. :)

That was several hours ago. Just called in again - same number - to try and add CBSHD-East. Got the Asian or Phillipines or whatever center. Lady spoke reasonable English with not too much of an accent. She put me on hold a couple of times. Wasn't able to do it. I think she really tried. 15 minutes.