Post your VOOM Activation Stories here

Had a bad install yesterday. Installer was here for 10 hours to hook up a Dish 500, 811 and 322. I had to keep giving him advise. He didn't even knowthat he had to do a scan for local digital OTA. Did do a neat job. My second TV on the 322 has diagonal lines across the screen. He said it was the picture tube. Obvoiusly some kind of interference. Anyone know how to fix it?

jb007 said:
Had a bad install yesterday. Installer was here for 10 hours to hook up a Dish 500, 811 and 322. I had to keep giving him advise. He didn't even knowthat he had to do a scan for local digital OTA. Did do a neat job. My second TV on the 322 has diagonal lines across the screen. He said it was the picture tube. Obvoiusly some kind of interference. Anyone know how to fix it?
How's the second TV connected - coax I assume. If so, you're getting RF bleed into the cable. Try changing the channel the receiver is using (and of course, tune the TV to match). You mgiht get lucky.

Other than that, examine the cable run looking for issues.

I had Dish come out to add the 148 free dish because a few locals were on it. Planned on switching it myself to 61.5, but the guy that came out did it when I told him what I was going to do. Said it was no big deal.

After the install, called dish, hit option 3, then 1 for HD customer support. After asking me who I was, he asked me what I wanted.

Me: I would like to add the new Voom HD channels.

Him: Ok, let me refresh myself a bit on this.

there was a small silence for about 15 seconds.

Him: Ok, are you familiar with the deal we have to add voom?

Me: What do you mean?

Him: Well you need a second dish, and we have an offer for...

Me: Oh, I already have a dish pointed at 61.5, and can already see the channels in red.

Him: OH! Good. Then I can add it to you no problem. Let me see how much this is going to be.

Me: It is like 5 bucks more a month right?

Him: Yes. Let me get this in here...yeah.. Now you should see it in a few minutes

Me: I already see them, thanks.

Him: Oh... good. You new monthly charge will be.....

anyway, the whole call took maybe 3 minutes, no wait time at all by going to HD tech support.

I called last monday and set an appointment for saturday the 7th between 8 and 12 o'clock. The installer came out at about 11:45. The installer didn't have to install any switches he mounted the new dish directly to my roof (I figure when mpeg 4 comes I'll have to take this one down and its easier to patch roof holes than to try to replace vinyl sidding damaged by the dish mount. He replace my old lnd to accept a third input and I was up and running in under an hour. By the way, is there any specific type of paint I should use to paint the dish to match my roof color. Thanks. ---The image and sound quality on the voom channels are great but the content is somewhat lacking. Maybe things will improve. I need the kungfu channel!!!!!!! Good luck to all.

I hooked my 61.5 back up then got off the ladder and called dish. The CSR was obviously reading from a script - told her I wanted the Voom HD, she asked how many dishes I had, I said two pointed at 119 & 110 and the other pointed at 61.5. She said ok and I would see it in my guide in about an hour. She then wanted to tell me what the cost was and how much my bill will be each month then her computer went down. She asked me to wait a few minutes until the computer came back up, suddenly the channels appeared (changed from red) in my guide and I told her they were working and not to worry about how much the bill is each month because I don't really care, I just pay it. She then told me I could check it on the website to, I thanked her and said goodbye.

Painless

Voom Turn on Experience

18 or so months ago I stumbled upon the way to add a second dish for free so I called Dish for the install to add a missing local channel. I have all legacy equipment. Installer arrived and I asked him to point the new dish at 61.5° rather than 148° as I was anticipating the release of the 921 receiver, and at that time ALL Dish HDTV channels were still on the 61.5° bird. He balked and had to get Dish on the phone to question whether or not he could do this. I just told him to install at 148° and to forget about 61.5°. Install went fine, I got a new switch - SW64 - a new dish (all for free) and everthing went just fine. I passed on the 921 when it first came out and opted for the 811 for $150 purchase through Dish.

Found out about the new VOOM channels on Dish last week thanks to this forum and contacted Dish on Friday, 5/6/05. Had to call 6 times because their phone system kept dropping me off rather than put me on hold for the next available rep. Finally got a live person and asked for the VOOM channels. He said I had to have the new yellow cards and a second dish pointed at 61.5°. I informed him I had an 811 and a 522 and neither one needed a yellow card and that my second dish was pointed at 61.5° already. He got a little testy and said that the second dish was "supposedly installed for me to receive missing local channels." I informed him that it was installed exactly for that reason and that I repointed the dish to 61.5° for the VOOM channels. He hemmed and hawed and finally agreed to authorize me for the $5/month VOOM channel addition. More HD content is great, can't wait for the rest of the VOOM channels to be added.

Audio drop outs on RaveHD

Not sure if this belongs on this thread but has anyone noticed audio drop outs on the RaveHD channel? The audio drops of for a second and then returns. I'm running of a Dish 6000 receiver with Dolby Digital output. (optical)It happens quite often. Really have not watched the other channels long enough to see if it's the Zoom feed or a problem with Dish. After one week of Zoom, I'd say Rave is my favorite channel so far.

Once the CSR answered, the addition of Voom 10 was active in under 2 minutes.

I connected my 61.5 dish to the 921, did a check switch, and then made the call.

I did the add-on Sunday afternoon.

Just started Voomin yesterday. Got the second Dish installed (must carry) and the tech pointed it at 61.5 at my request. After that, a quick call to Dish and the service is on and working great!

FYI- I live in LA, CA. You can get 61.5 here so don't think you have to wait for them to mirror onto 148. YMMV

Had the installers here today to put up the free dish for 61.5 and the CSR added the VOOM Pak. All set to go.

I did order last friday, CSR said I can get have these channels eventhough he did not
know about 61.5 Dish is required and I do not have one. Went home after phone activation, and called CSR there was a wait of 45min, CSR checked my switches told finally you have to realign your second dish(300) to point to 61.5 to make this work.

Such a waste of time, I should have read this borad before I ordered. Now I am in hanging state, where waiting for either Dish to put VOOM channels in 148 satellite or, I pay 99$ to repoint the dish.
Let me know if any better solution is there for this situation.

I have Super dish and local dish, switch show 110,119,121 and 148 with 942 and 322 receivers. Dish installed on high ceiling I am scared to climb my roof :).

Installer came this evening, put up Dish 500 dish and SW21 switch hooked my VoOM dish up to it and hooked up 811 and my voom was up and running along with top180 and HD pack. $0 up front,he said the phone CSR's are sometimes clueless on what you really need to have installed.

As of last night at midnight Voom has returned to our house.

I dropped E* in Dec 2004 when I got Voom service. Really great stuff and I hated to loose the great HDTV PQ. I re-established E* service on April 29th, but didn't connect until May 1st (after Voom went dark).

Switch back to E* went well because I had never taken down the E* Dish/500 and the wires were still there at my entry point to the house (all RG6 wires are home runs to outside box).

On May 2nd I ordered a SW64 ($64 delivered) and received it yesterday. Disconnected the 2 SW21 switches from my Dish500 twin dual lnb's and connected them to the SW64. Then connected the two wires from my Voom dish to the SW64. Ran check switch on the E* menu on both my receivers and 61.5 appeared and was able to receive some content immediately from 61.5 sat.

Called E* csr around 8pm to get Voom service established. They said I needed a sat for 61.5 and I told them I already had one. The csr said my Voom was setup and would be active shortly.

Three hours later still no Voom so I called E* tech support. The tsr said Voom had never been activated and so she did it. After a couple more tries on her part and a receiver reboot on my end I had the Voom 10.

All-in-all not a bad experience.

Next project is to get 4 diplexers and send output from the OTA to both of my receivers.

Voom for 5 months,
E* since 1997,
One 811 receiver,
One 5000 receiver,
Dish500 dish,
Voom dish,
SW64 switch,
Samsung HLN507W TV,
Harmony 676 remote.

AHHHHHHHH! Today I was supposed to have DISH and VOOM installed. The installer came out and said that he didn't need to change out the VOOM DISH because it would work with DISH for 61.5? I said HUH? That is not what I understand. He said it looks the same. But that was not the big problem. The problem I have is with the getting the other dish channels. He said a tree was in the way. Now I have had a 3 meter C-band/KU DISH for 20 years and got all the satellites. He said I would have to have one tree taken down as the Branches would be a problem. So should I believe that after having no probem with C-band or is that just a function of C-band being a bigger dish and can get more signal?

Anyway here I sit with a 942 sitting and connected with No service of any kind. DISH would not even connect for VOOM until I can get the other situation corrected. So now to find a tree service who can come out in a few days.

It took about 10 minutes with the Tech Dept. He initially said I had to go with a promotion. I just wanted the HD Pak, the Voom Pack and understood the $5 access fee. I referenced this site with all the activation stories for HD Pak plus Voom Pak only.

After having stood my ground and allowing him to navigate through his screens, he finally activated what I wanted for $19.99 per month.

The install was DIY. I have 61.5 only. I am waiting on my SW21 to add the 110 dish.

I called and got the information I needed before ordering. The CSR was very nice and answered all the questions. Then I went to the web site and placed the order. A phone call confirmed my appointment and they called again the morning of the install to re-confirm. Two guys showed up with ladders and equipment. I asked them to use the previous sat. base so as not to make new holes in my roof. They complied with that and even cut back a couple of branches from a nearby tree that might have interfered with the signal. They were knowledgeble and polite and the install was very routine concluding with a little seminar on how everything works. Hats off to these guys.

Now I'm enjoying E* with 10 of the VOOM 21 channels. Can't wait to get the other 11 sometime soon. Good over all experience. PQ looks great! Just need to figure out how to make my SD into a 4:3 format and not stretch but I'm sure that's somewhere here.

Good VOOMIN' everyone!

BFG is Watching the Voom Channels!!!!!

I am watching voom!

Really simple and quick to get activated.

Called up, went through the programming prompts.

Talked to a guy who was a little hard to understand but all he asked is how many dishes I have on my roof. I said 2 and I also told them I could see the channels in my guide.

While I was on the phone the channels started coming in and I'm watching Voom!

Wow it really makes a difference when I can actually watch the channels versus just being let down by a guide. When I can actually see the content I actually watch it :)

Watching HDNews right now and man they're better at sports than ESPN! They actually had the baseball games that were available in HD in HD, Who'da thunkin ESPN? :)

Called regular Dish number. In less than 1 min. got lady in Denver. Told her I had Dish 500, with HDPACK, and dish for 61.5 - and was looking at Pentagon channel right then and could see Voom numbers in Red. She said, Ok it would be $5 a month, told me my new monthly total, and we were done. Voom channels came on in about 2 minutes, but kept getting kicked into HDPPV screen until I turned 811 off and back on. All Voom now perfect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts