PowerMax Vbox X Transformer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't mean to be argumentative, but, that's not the entire schematic. I noticed that your posting shows "Gbox schematic B" so I'm assuming that there's a "Gbox schematic A" somewhere. For example, my board has a 7812 VR that feeds it's output to the 7805 VR. There's no 7812 shown in the schematic that you posted. Nor are any of the power rectifier diodes shown or the power transformer. Anyway, the bridge rectifier circuit produced 27 VDC output which got passed through the shorted 7812 which put 27 VDC across the 100 uf electrolytic capacitor (rated for 25 WVDC) that is on the output of the 7812. I "guess" that's why the capacitor overheated and exploded.

Ah, I see what you mean, yes this is all minus the power supply section. I need to see if I can find that.
Also, it may not be the same. I notice different brands do it a little different, but it is basically the same.

Hi! Some time ago (maybe 5 or so years back) I found this positioner on e-bay. Even it was from USA and cord had US plug, it was written in the description that input voltage is 120-250V. So, I bought it, changed the plug and turned in :amen Of course there was lots of noise and white smoke :bounce. Then I asked to e-bay what WTF is going on?! They apologized and said they will return back all my expenses, plus 10 bucks as a pain money and I can keep broken positioner. I did not mind.
Got the broken transformer (in red) changed for 24V transformer (in green) for driving the actuator, and small 13V transformer (in yellow) for the brains of the box. So, positioner is still in working condition even some decoration is cracked. IMG_20170312_083125 (Large).jpg

Riga that's a PowerMax Vbox X which was marketed by WSI "back in the day". WSI went out of business a couple of years back though and those Vbox Xs haven't been available for a while now. I have a couple of those myself that are still working.

So what transformer part numbers did you use in that thing as I'm sure johnnynobody would like to know so he can get them for his.

So what transformer part numbers did you use
Have no idea, just picked a couple from the box :) One, as I've mentioned earlier, has 24V output and another one 13V. Actuator runs on 24V little bit slower but, at the same time it is quieter.

As this all about positioners, there is one I purchased some time ago. It has no remote control, could be placed on the antenna, has 1/4 diseqc build-in and only needs external 36V AC or DC. I did not try it jet, but seems it is interesting piece of equipment (at least for me :) ).

Attachments

• IMG_20170312_162609 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170312_162609 (Large).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20170312_162617 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170312_162617 (Large).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 276
Since I have been wanting a replacement transformer for my modded V-Box X, I ordered one of those transformers, only the smaller 80VA one. I can confirm everything Johnny Nobody reported with his experience with the larger 175VA model. The voltages were high, 20V and 40V. Everything ran fine for an hour or so and then a very loud cap explosion and a ton of smoke came out ;)
Transformer and V-Box dead :(
Borg2 018.JPG

I guess you'll take his word on stuff like this in the future, hey!! But in your defense, that sounds like something I would have done also! :facepalm

Well I liked that VBox-X mod I did with the added polar rotor control and such I couldn't let it go. So I brought it back to life. :)
I put another board in it. Same board but bigger relays. Hmmm
VBox-X-Mod 003.JPG VBox-X-Mod 010.JPG

So I was digging thru the junk looking for some electrical parts and came across the dead VBox mainboard. This was the one I put that transformer in and a cap exploded. Well I replaced the cap but it didn't fire up so in the junk box it went. Figured one of the ICs took a dump. I thought there might be a capacitor I wanted on there so I was looking it all over and noticed the 12V regulator was trashed. The 5V regulator gets its power from the 12v circuit. Got me thinking, "is this really fried?" So I dug up a regulator and replaced it and a couple connectors I had raided off the board. Plugged it in and low and behold is says P27 just where it was when it blew up. :) It's back to life again. Sweet!!

It's a great feeling, isn't it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Magic Static
It's a great feeling, isn't it!
It is a good feeling...until I remember what I did thinking it was really fried ;) But seriously I'm now thinking about builds I hadn't thought of before with this new discovered treasure.
When I was a kid I loved to build models. But it was more fun to take all those "optional parts" you didn't use and make wild looking stuff. I remember finding a trash can full of model parts and discarded models. I had more fun with that and a tube of glue. (Don't even think it ) I find I still like doing that stuff but now I use discarded electrical parts and pieces and a soldering iron. Having fun building little black boxes :)

Well unlike plastic model kits, electrical stuff comes apart and goes back together for the most part. So I pulled the VBox ala ASC1 all apart and rebuilt it. While it looks the same upfront, everything else is different. I swapped the mainboard and transformer side to side to be more the way the VBox was designed. This uncrosses all the wiring inside. I moved the polar rotor control to the front panel and replaced the wiring to the display and encoder making it more elegant. I replaced the rear panel and "F" bridge. Added another connector to the motor and sensor outputs making the board totally modular. I replaced the transformer (finally).
FBrebuild 005.JPG FBrebuild 007.JPG FBrebuild 010.JPG FBrebuild 002.JPG FBrebuild 011.JPG

Compared to the pictures previously posted you can see all the changes :)
Still works the same though, like it should ;)

Reactions: KE4EST
Since I was able to resurrect the VBox-X board I was left with the old problem of wanting a transformer for a VBox. A few days ago I was scavenging electrical parts from various boxes that a friend had drug over for my scavenging needs. One of the things he brought me was an old "side-car" antenna positioner. It's a DX Antenna Co. LTD DSB-300 antenna positioner power supply system. It's just a plain box, no displays or buttons. It's controlled by the receiver via a control cable.DSB300 001.JPG DSB300 003.JPG

I opened it up and found a big transformer on one side and a simple circuit board on the other. It was a dual voltage transformer so I was curious as to what it put out. I found it to be 30v x 15v. Protected with a slow-blow 6.25 amp fuse. I thought this would work great for a VBox, but it's darn near as big as one.

VBoxPro 002.JPG VBoxPro 004.JPG

Well it got me to thinking about a nice powerful transformer and a beautiful heavy steel case needs to be used again. And I found that these VBox-Xs are like hermit crabs, they'll crawl into any empty case they find. I have three of them now and they all live in secondary housing ;)
So I started to massage that VBox right in there. Ended up with a professional grade VBox. The VBox Pro ;)

VBoxPro 012.JPG VBoxPro 013.JPG VBoxPro 015.JPG VBoxPro 017.JPG VBoxPro 019.JPG VBoxPro 026.JPG VBoxPro 027.JPG

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)