PowerVu question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Toonses

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
sunny south
I often see that a channel is encripted with "PowerVu". Who is the provider that sells service to these channels? :coffee Toonses

PowerVU encryption is only (so far as I know) on commercial receivers.
You might find one surplus, but from previous threads, you won't be able to get it authorized.
....Unless you are a cable company with thousands of users, and willing to pay for thousands of subscriptions.
Also, there is no centralized clearing house - you do business directly with the uplinker (owner of the copyright).

I'm no expert on the subject, but I hated to see no better answer to your post. :)

Anole pretty much nailed it

If there is more than one channel in the mux that is Powervu the uplinker can turn on one station, 2 or all depending on the parameters the cable/satco needs

The only PowerVu stations that are non-commercial technically is AFN (Armed Forces Network)
If you are in the military you can get a receiver that decodes it (D9234 last I checked) and subscribe through the military

POwerVu receivers will work on FTA channels but usually there is a setting you have to change to make it work with FTA

I think there are different levels of encryption,maybe powervu or powervu plus.
Some channels have the video encrypted powervu but audio in the clear.

To the OP: Powervu is just a scrambling system. Depends on which satellite you were seeing the channels on, but there are many, with different uplinkers providing the channels. To answer more directly: There is no service in the US that makes any of those channels available to us, as end-users, unfortunately. They're cable-channels and only the cable companies could get authorized for reception/redistribution. Too bad, too, we could get a ton of tv if anybody would sell direct to fta'ers. >Sometimes they turn that encryption off, and you might get to watch one of those channels for a while!

The only PowerVu stations that are non-commercial technically is AFN (Armed Forces Network)
If you are in the military you can get a receiver that decodes it (D9234 last I checked) and subscribe through the military

POwerVu receivers will work on FTA channels but usually there is a setting you have to change to make it work with FTA
I just picked up an Scientific Atlantic PowerVu D9835 today , from a local resale shop , for $4.99 . Found a manual online , a few minutes before I read this . Hope it wasn't a total waste of money .

its a real basic receiver. Did you get the remote with it?
Reason I ask is there is a hidden menu that requires the remote (or a universal that works with it)

If you need a remote, I may have one. I just have to dust off the retired component area of the basement to check.....

Thanks for the offer & help . Yeh , it came with a remote . Played with it last night , haven't got anywhere yet . Both fta lines into my house are on 4x1 disqec switches , I only see a 22 kHz setting , so will have to run 1 lnb to it , for set up purposes . I don't fully understand the net ID number . Did find the "PowerVu" setting in "advance settings" and switched it fta viewing . So figuring the net id , just might be for commercial use ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts