PPV movie “The Little Mermaid” on channel 507

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
I tried to order the movie “The Little Mermaid” on channel 507. According to the Guide the movie costs $6.99.
I tried to use one of my Rental Certificates but the movie was not listed on the Dish web site. I then tried to us the Dish automated system to order the movie but the automated system could not find the movie on channel 507. I then got a Dish customer service agent. He tried for 5 minutes to order the movie but he was unsuccessful. He said that he has had this same issue with other customers.
The Dish customer service agent was finally able to figure out what was going on. In order to watch this movie the customer must subscribe to the Dove channel. The Dove channel is a streaming service and costs $5 per month. Thus the Dish Guide is not correct and you can not use a Rental certificate to order this movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to order the movie “The Little Mermaid” on channel 507. According to the Guide the movie costs $6.99.
I tried to use one of my Rental Certificates but the movie was not listed on the Dish web site. I then tried to us the Dish automated system to order the movie but the automated system could not find the movie on channel 507. I then got a Dish customer service agent. He tried for 5 minutes to order the movie but he was unsuccessful. He said that he has had this same issue with other customers.
The Dish customer service agent was finally able to figure out what was going on. In order to watch this movie the customer must subscribe to the Dove channel. The Dove channel is a streaming service and costs $5 per month. Thus the Dish Guide is not correct and you can not use a Rental certificate to order this movie.

It is also not the Disney movie, either animated or the new live action movie.

It is something from 1961-

It's irrelevant, if it's listed on PPV he should be able to order it. Dish's system is messed up. I'm still having problems with On Demand saying I'm not subscribed to a different channel than the show I'm trying to pull up is on when I try to access it. If I try to use On Demand to watch an episode of a show on Magnolia, for instance, it says I'm not subscribed to Discovery so it denies me. Something's whacked.

Reactions: BarnRat
It's irrelevant, if it's listed on PPV he should be able to order it. Dish's system is messed up. I'm still having problems with On Demand saying I'm not subscribed to a different channel than the show I'm trying to pull up is on when I try to access it. If I try to use On Demand to watch an episode of a show on Magnolia, for instance, it says I'm not subscribed to Discovery so it denies me. Something's whacked.

Yes, the Dish agent agrees with you and said the Guide was wrong. He was frustrated because he had fielded several previous calls from customers unable to order the PPV movie. He finally figured out that it was a Dove streaming event and not a PPV event.
As of today Dish still has not corrected their Guide. Little Mermaid still shows up as a $6.99 PPV on channel 507. Plus the description shows it as a 2023 movie. Bruce points out that it is actually a 1961 movie so that is actually false advertising.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
This is a movie from an independent studio that launches movies with similar titles to highly anticipated films that are released in the theater. It is essentially a scam.

There was a mapping issue with the trailer that was attaching the trailer for the movie in theaters to this rip-off. My guess is when they broke the trailer (intentional work around to the mapping issue) they probably also broke the ability for the movie to be ordered, but honestly I would hope that nobody would be suckered into paying for this crap.

I've ordered it on multiple receivers in my lab and its working fine. I've had to test this title multiple times due to the high visibility around the actual movie that is in theaters - I will let the PPV/VOD team know it may be broken but honestly don't waste your money.

Yes. Plus the description shows it as a 2023 movie. Bruce points out that it is actually a 1961 movie so that is actually false advertising.
Just imagine if the order went thru and you were charged for the wrong movie, I know I would be upset.

But you also have to use logic, there is no way a new big release movie ( just opened a few days ago at theaters) would already be on PPV at a low price.

If I seen that on Dish, I would know it to be incorrect.

Timeline now for new movies-
Movie opens at theater
Then digital sale about 45 days-2 months later ( if a flop, usually 30 days)
Then premieres on Streaming Services and also for PPV, about 3-6 months after Theater Opening Date ( again, depends on how big of a hit).

Thank you Josh for the explanation. I assumed it was the current movie since the cast and year match the 2023 movie in the theaters. I am sure other customers have been fooled. Fortunately I did not order it since my Rental certificate did not work.

Yeah - that PPV is very misleading. Last night it was a free preview PPV and I caught a part of it. It was a computer created version and it wasn't good - mouth movement was way off from the audio. Flouder was a turtle. It was very strange.

• Sad