PQ on DLP

HD#1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Los Angeles
I was watching SpiderMan 3 on my blu-ray player and i decided to play with the pq I changed it to game mode adventure and the pq got so much better. I have a 50in Samsung LED DLP is that game mode okay to use for movies and TV shows?

Is that just a macro setting that adjusts the contrast, brightness and such all at once? If so, if its good for your eyes it should be good to use if you like it. IMHO

Hd

Gaming mode usually gives extra brightness. You need to calibrate your set, if you haven't already. You can use a calibration disc such as Avia or Digital Video Essentials. If you don't want to buy one, use the THX Optimizer on some DVD's such as "Cars" and "The Incredibles".

I've got a Samsung 6189, the newer LED DLPs. My set came plug & play literally--it was calibrated and ready to go when it was delivered. I wonder if I change it to game mode for the hell of it it would look even nicer, because it's excellent right now.

I cant believe there are people out there making 300 bucks per input to calibrate a set. What is harder to believe is that there are people out there that pay it.:rolleyes:

i cant believe it either. If there are people paying it, please send them my way!!

I know I can make their sets better with a higher contrast ratio, correct gamma, and a gray scale that reflects the 313 329 color spec for rec 709 by using my $17000 Photo Research Pr-650 spectro radiometer and 2500 displays calibrated experience.

LionAV pricing is for HD digital sets is $275, or 3 inputs for $400. A heck of a bargain based on the $300 an input price stated!!!

Last edited:
er....

yes it is. For a set to be calibrated it needs to have your video signal chain attached to it. The source unit (and not so much, specific cabling) both effect the output of the image. The room environment also plays into the calibration of the display. None of these items can be addressed prior to final installation. Not to mention that most display change dramatically over the first 50 hours of burn in.

Gregg Loewen
Datacolor Product Trainer
ISF Video Instructor
THX Video Instructor

No it's not. Not when the retailer sets up everything before they deliver it. Before it was delivered, I inquired about calibration and all. The gentleman explained they calibrate every HDTV so they're all set to go when delivered. So far, the PQ is flawless.

The reason this is impossible is that the room enviroment is part of the calibration, especially the amount of ambient light in the viewing room, the color of the walls, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)