PR Locals and Netwoks are "zoomed"

Tom_P

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico
Hi Guys;

I've been out of the forums for a long time. My current job don't leave me too much time to spare, :( but is better that unemployment.

Anyway I notice since a couple of weeks that WAPA-2 and the networks are zoomed. For example I'm watching the Cowboys/Ravens game and I can only see the score numbers, not the team name. In Wapa 2 for the MLB PLayoffs I can only watch barely 1/5th of the pitch location graphic.

I tought somebody in my house press the * button, tried to adjust my tv but is not the Dish receiver.

So this is happenning in all my receivers(922, 722 and a 211).

Has somebody else from PR and the Virgin Islands has noticed this? IF we are getting thise channels in HD soon, I might expect a widescreen version like before....

That is why it appears zoomed missing the left and right sides of the picture. "Supposedly" fox,abc,nbc and cbs channels will be available soon on dish, most have been uplinked already but not turned on

It seems to be just today. Fox Cowboys-Ravens game is cropped off the sides (zoomed, as you have pointed out). NBC as well. WSEE and ABC seem OK. The thing with WAPA2 is that they are broadcasting the MLB series in HD (OTA only, not on DISH yet, although the channel is uplinked, but not available). So any of their regular programming is letterboxed. When the playoffs are broadcasting, you get full HD on OTA.

Programs I have recorded this week from the networks are not cropped. So I think this is happening just today.

(on the bright side [well, more on the "wishful thinking"-side] maybe DISH will speed up the availability of Network HDs that have been uplinked. I can dream...)

Donato, not just today. Believe me I watch NFL and College Football everyweek. This has been like this for at least 3 weeks on the networks.. Pic quality has been the worst I've seen with a lot of pixelating(last week), not the kind when is raining, the one we week watching streaming videos online. And yes I know that Dish receives those channels via streaming to b uplinked.

Donato, not just today. Believe me I watch NFL and College Football everyweek. This has been like this for at least 3 weeks on the networks.. Pic quality has been the worst I've seen with a lot of pixelating(last week), not the kind when is raining, the one we week watching streaming videos online. And yes I know that Dish receives those channels via streaming to b uplinked.
Well, I watched both sports last week and did not have that problem. But I was watching ABC and CBS, did not watched FOX last week, so I did not noticed any cropping, was able to always see teams names. And FOX during the week was OK. I recorded Fringe last Friday, just checked and it seems OK.

So maybe it is a problem that happens sometimes, not all the time? Maybe it gets like this on weekends or Sundays? If it is so, it sucks, because that's when it should deliver its best picture quality.
Just checked CBS again and NOW it is zoomed. Weird. Watching ABC now, it still seems to be OK.

HEY!! I just noticed that commercials on FOX are not the usual Puerto Rico ones. And they are promoting the channel as "FOX" and not "FOX Puerto Rico". Could that be part of the explanation? We are receiving the feed from National FOX, unprocessed?

I am not having no problem at all with my 211 receivers pictures looks the same and I can watch the channles on C Band with my Amiko HD reciever and the NBC ,HD, ABC HD and FOX look great @galaxy 16 at 99 they are hidden channels that have to be scan manually

I am not having no problem at all with my 211 receivers pictures looks the same and I can watch the channles on C Band with my Amiko HD reciever and the NBC ,HD, ABC HD and FOX look great @galaxy 16 at 99 they are hidden channels that have to be scan manually
Nel, mine is 211 also, software L566, and I am experiencing cropping, as discussed above. I have checked my aspect ratio, and it is Normal, 16:9, 1080i.
So you can see full team names in the scoreboard on Fox? Because I had to get out, and now I come back, and I can see that the game is 31 to 23, but don't have any idea who is winning.... (of course, I will know at the next commercial break, when the score comes front and center....)

Not sure in the pg up/doen dtill work on the 211 for changing zoom. Out of town at the moment so I can't check it out on my 211. Have you check the zoom on your remote for the TV?

WOW. Now the picture quality on the Giants game on Fox is really BAD! Cropped, stretched and letterboxed on all four edges, all at the same time. And the Bills and Cardinals game on CBS is a mess, pixelated everytime someone runs, even jogs, at close shot!

Luckily, no one runs in a football game.... :shocked:tsk:

Not sure in the pg up/doen dtill work on the 211 for changing zoom. Out of town at the moment so I can't check it out on my 211. Have you check the zoom on your remote for the TV?
dwarren, it works on the 211. I use it a lot, so I am conscious to check everytime sometime does not look right. Mine goes from "Normal- (black bars)" to Stretch, to Partial Zoom, to Zoom, To Gray Bar, and back to Normal- (black bars). It is not the zoom setting. Also, using component inputs here, so TV Zoom is unavailable (in my TV, Component shows what is fed by the receiver, no way to change what the receiver sends). Plus, recorded shows are OK, HD and SD. So, definitely is the signal...
Thanks for the suggestion, though...

DUGGAN, how do you know? Is there an OTA version to check that out? I know DISH has not uplinked FOX in HD.

(Hoping there is an OTA, till Dish turns the HDs on)

Fox in HD just changed over this past week (Tuesday)....dish did not get it uplinked yet...probably this week

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11512642@N02/8088470121

This is set to normal aspect ratio down from the zoomed default. As you can see the black bars should be displayed content which is just not there since we are getting an hd feed in sd. You cant see the team names and in the default mode you cant even see the score. The problem is that the cameramen assume you can see everything and critical aspects of the game are just not shown. Example? Close play at first you cant see the bag. In football sometimes you cant see the end of a play. In golf you totally miss most putts.

Thanks elmafu69, but is doesn't have anything to do with the Dish receiver. I'm pretty familiar with the Dish receivers, thread that I created was to confirm if others like me are experiencing the same problem with the "zoomed" version of our locals channels.

Thanks Iceberg for your response(and all others too).

WAPA2 is now transmitting in full HD 16:9 (OTA at least on the baseball games). I guess Dish is picking up that new signal, cropping it because what they used to receive from WAPA2 before was 4:3 and then feeding it like that. But I hope they turn the uplinked HD channels (like WAPA2) this Wednesday Oct 17.

That picture posted is what happens when a HD feed has the "hd section" chopped off
Dish has to change the SD feed on their end. Basically they zoomed it on their end

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts