Pre-install prep

SalMaglie

Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
Just ordered Voom and it's supposed to be installed on 10/06. I have a new Hitachi 57F510 TV with an HDMI plug instead of DVI. In the FAQ it says VOOM comes with a DVI-D cable, so will I need a DVI to HDMI adapter? How long is the DVI-D cable provided by the installer? I'll need about a 10ft run from my TV to the place the Voom STB is going.

I also noticed in the FAQ this...

"Voom announced on May 13th, 2004 (Rainbow Filed form 10 provided by Seanb61) that they have leased additional satellite capacity at 72 degree. 13 new Transponders will be leased as of 10/1/04. Subscribers will be able to access the signal from both satellites with a single elliptical satellite antenna that will be approximately 35" wide by 20" high. Voom expects to begin installing the new antennas before the October, 2004 transponder lease commencement date. VOOM will offer a free switch over of existing customers to the new antennas on a phased basis when they are available."

So are new customers now getting the elliptical dish installed?

Welcome aboard Sal. The installation kit does include a DVI cable, but I'm not sure how long it is. However--I know it's not 10 feet. If the TV has HDMI, I would definitely recommend getting a DVI to HDMI cable. Of course, you can always use component instead of having to purchase the additional cable. Both types of output are active at the same time. Throughout the forum, there are links for places that carry a wide variety of cables. The two I remember off the top of my head are www.bettercables.com and www.pacificcable.com (tested the links and both are good).

I have not seen anyone post an installation story with the elliptical dish. Supposedly, Voom is going to upgrade existing customers when it is available, but we have not heard a peep about when. If you do get an elliptical dish, you would be among the first to get one.

Best of luck with your installation, and again--welcome.

Thanks Stone Man. My component video cables are already earmarked for my DVD player, so I figured the Voom STB would get the DVI connection. Since I only have one set of component cables, and it's about $60 for another set, I should go with the DVI-HDMI cable @ $35. I'd already been looking at the Pacific Cable site before you even posted that link as I'd heard about them in another forum on home theater. I guess I'll be ordering one from there ASAP.

Of course with the new DVD players coming out that upconvert to 1080i through DVI, I guess I'll eventually either need a HDMI or DVI switcher, or just run Voom with component cables. Without searching through this forum, what's the consensus on which brings a better signal to the TV via Voom...component or DVI?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)