Pre-programmed motor positions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

True South

Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
Many of the HH type motors come pre-programmed with positions (1-26) set for satellites that are visible in Europe and Asia.

Can these motor positions (1-26) be changed or overwritten by an IRD using the satellites that are visible in the US?

Please give a brief example of the procedure.

The stored positions use the Goto command, they don't NEED to be used. I use USALS or DiSEqC 1.2 to motor and save positions, so yes these pre-stored positions can be over written and usually are.

I guess you know we have a dedicated FTA area here at SatelliteGuys. US!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=58

PSB said:
The stored positions use the Goto command, they don't NEED to be used. I use USALS or DiSEqC 1.2 to motor and save positions, so yes these pre-stored positions can be over written and usually are.

I guess you know we have a dedicated FTA area here at SatelliteGuys. US!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Thanks for pointing that out.

So when the IRD is used in DiSEqC mode, it will allow overwriting of positions 1-26 simply by selecting one of these numbers when prompted?

The pre-stored numbers are not used at all, they are only used on the older "Goto" command receivers, with the newer USALS receivers you only need to find your true south satellite and USALS works out where the others are, with DiSEqC 1.2 you have to manually find the satellites but after they are stored you are done!

Thanks. I understand your points.

I'm just curious if the IRD's have or had the ability to overwrite positions 1-26 if someone had a reason or a need to use the old type "go to" command?

....and if they have the ability, the general steps involved in acomplishing the overwrite.

Don't think they can be over written, but on the other hand you do not need to use them. I think the positions are stored in the motor software.

The amount of movement require of a motor to move from sat to sat is dependent on not only the sat selected by the lat and long of the installation.

A visit to one of the web sites that perform these calculations will quickly confirm this.

That being the case, how is it even possible to pre-program the 1-26 positions at the factory? How do they know where the motor will be installed ahead of time?

The table in the motor manuals show positions 1-26 and the corresponding sat associated with that position.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)