Precision High Stability LNB vs Norsat

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Petawha2

Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Recently connected a used C-band satellite system.
Going to replace the feedhorn, for Ku-band.
Was wondering is the Norsat LNBs either C or Ku are better than the Precision High Stability sold at Skyvision?
Looking to receive C/Ku Analog and 4DTV as well as FTA MPEG-2 with this setup.
Anyone know if the Norsat are worth it for the money
or will the Precision High Stability do just as well?

Petawha2

Upstate NY

Bigger is usually better, but at what cost?
No, really: what are the relative prices and specs?
And , what are you going to be watching*, and with how big a dish?

I think the more relevant questions are:
- how big is the dish,
- what type of dish
- what is dish condition?
- is the dish rated for Ku?
- what is the positioner type and size
- is it accurate enough to point to the Ku birds?
- if cost is no object, then ignore this post and go spend money. - :D

* okay, good answer: "Looking to receive C/Ku Analog and 4DTV as well as FTA MPEG-2 with this setup."

I've never had a Precision LNB, so no comment....
I've got a few Norsats, C & KU, and they're all great LNB's...!!

But, all of the single polarity LNB's I have are better than the cheaper Dual Polarity LNBF's most people use, including myself. I'm not knocking the cheaper LNBF's, because most I've had and have work good for the money, but the single polarity LNB's are better.

The dish is Orbitron about 8 ft, more than 20 years old.
Condition is good, some bolts are starting to rust, but all mesh screens are there and it works fine on analog C-band with the LNB it came with.
Don't know if the dish is rated for Ku, how do I find that out?
The positioner is a Sky Jack 24 inch arm, that works fine, I can go from satellite to satellite with no problem.
Had an ADL Feedhorn with C-band and Ku-band LNB, was not impressed with its performance. It is going back.
The problem with that was Ku - FTA, just could not get a really good signal quality with it on some transponders, and could not get some transponders at all.
I adjusted everything from the Scalar ring to the skew to just moving the dish east or west.
It reall stinks, for now the C-band LNB it came with is back on the dish.
My receivers are Uniden 4400 Super, and Traxis 3500.
Soom I will find a 4DTV receiver.
I am looking to watch everything possible with 4DTV and a Traxis 3500
Cost is no object

Thanks for taking the time to give your advise.

Michael Petagine

Upstate NY

Hi Petawhaz, I have worked with precision lnb's C & Ku, an their is no comparision with them to a low khz norsat lnb. The reason why is that some times when I will set up a dish I will have a Spectrum Aniz hook up also an when you are on a satellite an you're looking at all the transponders you can see just how clean a lnb is or how un-clean or dirty a lnb is, an the precisions I would put them into the same class as a eagle aspen. now the way that times have changed in satellite you're temp factor has been a major selling point for retailers an buyers, an with the low temps some times it is a trade off with the local osclator in the lnb, so they can have the gain but will get a lot more noise with that signal. an in most cases with weak signals a clean signal will lock an play over a stronger signal with a lot of noise.

now some of the less costly lnb that I have used that work good with DSR receiver is the California Amplifer, Gardener, an Chapperal, now the norm for most of these types of lnb is about 750 to 1000khz stability, but if you got a 500khz or a 250khz norsat it will perform better by far. but remrmber a good grade lnb is no fix for a smaller dish or under size dish or a poor tune dish, or a real long run of cable, but a good grade lnb will help a lot on the HBO's on Galaxy-14 to lock quicker, that just a standard high khz lnb. now here I use a lot of different types of lnbs just about what I have on hand at that time.

now for a Ku lnb what I got on 2 dishes, an realy impressed with them is Galant, have them in 500khz an 100khz & .5 &.6 flavors, an they both work a little better than the 4508 norsats that are on a ortho feed. Galant is a company that supplys 2 way internet to company's that (like car dealerships ect.) need a high speed internet service, an some times you can pick these up on flee-bay for a fraction of their cost because people have not heard of them. an if you get 1 of these remove the notch frequency plate in the wave guide of the lnb, they are made by Japan Radio for Galant people, an they are a real clean lnb.

Hope all helps Petawhaz on the lnb's, an good luck to you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)