Premium Plus available now?

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
I asked on AZbox's forum today if anybody knew when the Premium Plus was actually going to be available, since it was supposed to have come out on the 1st. I didn't really expect an answer, in fact I expected to get flamed by the mods. But to my surprise, someone replied that it's in-stock at a dealer in Germany! Funny that it would only be available one place, but there it is: Google Translate

Unfortunately it's 380 euros, which Google informs me is 555 dollars! That's with 19% tax included though. That's also with just one tuner, although I'm looking for blind-scan a lot more than I'm looking for dual tuners. But I think I'll wait til a shipment lands at a US dealer and see what the price is then. (On an unrelated note, I see that the price of the Premium on ebay has gone up by $20. Why raise the price on an obsolete model? The Elite is still the same so far.)

yep it is in many European stores now.

Attachments

• DNBU24513IST-foto1.jpg
    DNBU24513IST-foto1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 725
  • DNBU24513IST-foto2.jpg
    DNBU24513IST-foto2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 418
  • image001-600x338.jpg
    image001-600x338.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 386
  • image002-600x338.jpg
    image002-600x338.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 374
Is this a true hardware-supported blind scan? I've heard of receivers that let you select the frequency step size of the scan, but I never noticed anything about what symbol rates to look for.

(Off topic, but I notice now that the eBay price of the Elite has gone up $37 :( )

Last edited:
..... I've heard of receivers that let you select the frequency step size of the scan, but I never noticed anything about what symbol rates to look for.

THe Fortec Ultra has searches in either below something like 7500 SR or above 7500 SR, or some kind of a search everything mode. I usually had to scan both narrow and wide SR mode, because the search everything mode never worked well for me.
Later I got a Fortec Mercury (don't like that receiver at all), and it didn't have the search different SR values option, but had the freq step options. So I always figured that they were pretty much the same thing in general, ie to search for a narrow SR signal, you have to search in small freq steps, etc, but with this one having both, I guess there is more to it than just finding the signal. I guess they can save time by not having to search through so many SR values.

In any event, I almost hope that this IS a software scan, because that would mean that they might come out with that option for the elete even though it's slow. As I've said, I wouldn't mind it it took all night to scan a satellite. But since I can find out WHERE the peaks are via other methods, I could speed thing up by just searching where I see peaks with the above options. Anyway, I hope they put SOME kind of scan into the elete, regardless of how slow.

What is the make and model number of DVB-S2 NIM Tuner supplied with AZBox Elite and Premium models? Is it different from this Samsung NIM tuner, model DNBU24513IST, supplied with Premium Plus ? I was unable to find its spec and description so far.

What is the make and model number of DVB-S2 NIM Tuner supplied with AZBox Elite and Premium models? Is it different from this Samsung NIM tuner, model DNBU24513IST, supplied with Premium Plus ? I was unable to find its spec and description so far.
I never saw any indication of Samsung, but the tuner is labeled as:
DNBU24512iCC

Or at least that's the best I can read it while it's still connected on the shelf, trying to read upside down.

This is also appears to be Samsung NIM Tuner based on the model number, but a bit earlier version. Its hard to say what chipsets are used in both tuners, unless one requests the info from SEM support and motivates them enough to answer the question, or finds a diagnostics utility. One can find more info about Samsung NIM Tuners at Samsung Electromechanical site. However, most OEM models are not listed at this site, despite they are almost identical to those listed there in the same category. Usually wholesale chipset dealers in South Korea provide more info and specs of such tuners, including OEM models, they buy from Samsung or STB manufacturers if left unused in production or warranty repairs.

In any event, I almost hope that this IS a software scan, because that would mean that they might come out with that option for the elete even though it's slow. As I've said, I wouldn't mind it it took all night to scan a satellite. But since I can find out WHERE the peaks are via other methods, I could speed thing up by just searching where I see peaks with the above options. Anyway, I hope they put SOME kind of scan into the elete, regardless of how slow.

I could swear that they recently said that there would only be one firmware release for all three models, not one for the Premium Plus and one for the older two. But then that wouldn't be the first time they've said something that they haven't delivered.

I'm starting to wonder what's going on with the Plus. I found one message on a Dutch board where a user was saying that they tested blind scan and it found some channels, so they stopped the test. HUH? If it's a true hardware blind scan, why wouldn't you let it finish to see how much it finds? It shouldn't take that long.

Here's an idea: they should send one of us a unit for testing. If it works, we'll pay for it. If it doesn't work, we'll keep it anyway as punishment for committing international fraud.

Seems like the blind scan works: http://www.satbox.nl/showpost.php?p=37554&postcount=3

sattaz;[url said:
http://www.satbox.nl/showpost.php?p=37554&postcount=3][/url]]

Where until a few days only to frequency 11,900 Horizontal blind scan and was now going vertical.
Hopefully within a few days, complete blind scan frequency to 12.750 possible. Hopefully within a few days, complete blind scan frequency to 12,750 possible.

I have briefly blind scan AZBoxHD Premium Plus and Clarke Tech 5000 HD Combo Plus compared. I have briefly blind scan AZBoxHD Premium Plus and Clarke Tech 5000 HD Combo Plus compared.
Tested at 30 West Hispasat frequency of 10.700 to 11.900 Horizontal / Vertical. Tested at 30 West Hispasat frequency of 10,700 to 11,900 Horizontal / Vertical.
Step size in the Clarke Tech ist 4 MHz (can be changed at all?) Step size in the Clarke Tech ist 4 MHz (can be changed at all?)
AZBox I like the 10 MHz step size tasks. AZBox I like the 10 MHz step size taken.
This time of the scan and Clarke Tech AZBox similar to his. This time of the scan and Clarke Tech AZBox similar to his.
The Clarke Tech did about 10 minutes on the AZBox approximately 15 minutes. The Clarke Tech did about 10 minutes on the AZBox approximately 15 minutes.
The Clarke Tech takes a total of 175 TV channels and 23 radio channels. The Clarke Tech takes a total of 175 TV channels and 23 radio channels.
The AZBox will total 183 and TV channels 25 radio channels. The AZBox will total 183 und TV channels 25 radio channels.
Including a DVB-S2 Transponder with only 1667 Symbol Rate that is not Clarke Tech. Including a DVB-S2 Transponder with only 1667 Symbol Rate that is not Clarke Tech.
I reduce the step size to 4 MHz in AZBox than he does about 18 minutes instead of 15 minutes scanning. I reduce the step size in AZBox to 4 MHz than he does about 18 minutes instead of 15 minutes scanning.
This is the AZBox However 2 additional transponders with a total of 7 additional radio channels. This is the AZBox However 2 additional transponders with a total of 7 additional radio channels.
In total 183 TV channels and 32 radio channels. In total 183 TV channels and 32 radio channels.
These 2 additional transponders have very low symbol rates of 1010 and 1300. These 2 additional transponders have very low symbol rates of 1010 and 1300.

The satellite with the most sensitive tuner (s) so far I have (had) the Clarke Tech 5000 HD Combo Plus. The satellite with the most sensitive tuner (s) so far I have (had) the Clarke Tech 5000 HD Combo Plus.
To my surprise the HD tuners in my AZBox Premium Plus just a bit sensitive to my surprise the HD tuners in my AZBox Premium Plus even a bit sensitive

The next surprise is that Symbol Rates lower than in 1000 locked / read and still picture / sound. The next surprise is that Symbol Rates lower than in 1000 locked / read and still picture / sound.
For example 12.746 H Symbol Rate to 8 with 716 West and 700 to 11.503 V Symbol Rate at 30 West. For example 12,746 H Symbol Rate to 8 with 716 West and 700 to 11,503 V Symbol Rate at 30 West.
Even Austrian Radio at 23.5 East Symbol Rate 12.661 V with 555 can be received. Even Austrian Radio at 23.5 East 12,661 V with 555 Symbol Rate can be received.
These are very few satellite receivers and PC cards enable satellite. These are very few satellite receivers and PC cards enable satellite.

Welcome and directly show / hear in 4:2:2 format DVB-S/DVB-S2/MPEG2/H.264/SDTV/HDTV Entertainment and directly show / hear of 4:2:2 in DVB-S/DVB- S2/MPEG2/H.264/SDTV/HDTV format
is just like the predecessor (s) AZBox HD Premium / Elite possible. is just like the predecessor (s) AZBox HD Premium / Elite possible.
The only (non-professional) that this satellite (but limited to DVB-S/MPEG2) is the Quali receiver. The only (non-professional) that this satellite (but limited to DVB-S/MPEG2) is the Quali receiver.

As Ponny (one from Germany pioneer and authority in field DX) Germanwings writes on a board / forum as Ponny (one from Germany pioneer and authority in field DX) writes on a German board / forum
is thus AZBox HD Premium Plus for all satellite DX-ers/Feedhunters the ideal. is thus AZBox HD Premium Plus for all satellite DX-ers/Feedhunters the ideal.

With kind regards Yours

sattaz

It sounds like a fixed step blindscan - quite primitive in my view, and also uses 10 Mhz step by default instead of usual 4 Mhz. Interesting, if its based on the Samsung chipset's blindscan feature or performed by the main proc. I wonder, if DVB-S and DVB-S2 standards impose min TP frequency interval for channel transmission to avoid interference? Or its regulated by other legal documents, like FCC Guidelines? Also, if other methods exist to improve sat stream differentiation despite very close TP frequencies to avoid mixing different sats during blindscan?

Last edited:
The Elite has a somewhat fixed blind scan. It goes by 5 MHz steps but will wander off of that

I did scan in a couple feeds at 2 Mhz off the "normal" frequency but havent tried the ones where news feeds are 4 or 5 off like on AMC9 where they are at 11765, 11771, 11775 etc

That's weird, Iceberg. Somewhere else I saw more than one person complaining that the AZ won't scan in anything unless you enter the precise frequency -- bad news for people whose receivers tend to be a little off. This was before the blind-scan software, but still, since it's only software, and only scanning in 5MHz steps, I would've expected that it would still have the same problem.

I have one and it works pretty good just a got a few weird problem other then that is it pretty good.
Funny thing I just looked in the back of my Plus unit at the dual tuner and it just say looped under where
the lnb is connected

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts